Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 20:41   #151
BHPian

Re: Enfield's forgotten FANTABULUS- from SCOOTERING mag!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Very much enjoyed reading the very informative article on this great scooter in this month's Scootering magazine powertwin

Regards
Ed
Thanks edsuede !!
you would have gone through hard copy of the Magazine, but 'am afraid whether the pdf link posted by me to share with our Tbhpians works or not!!
let me try posting some other link!!
Cheers!!
Muthu Kumar
PS: Editor name is Mr.Andy.....not Allan as in my previous post...Sorry for the mistake!!

Last edited by powertwin : 31st July 2011 at 20:48.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:25   #152
BHPian

Re: Enfield's forgotten FANTABULUS- from SCOOTERING mag!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Thanks edsuede !!
you would have gone through hard copy of the Magazine, but 'am afraid whether the pdf link posted by me to share with our Tbhpians works or not!!
Cheers!!
Muthu Kumar
PS: Editor name is Mr.Andy.....not Allan as in my previous post...Sorry for the mistake!!
Cheers!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCOOTERING - MUTHUKUMAR - FULL.pdf (1.41 MB, 1050 views)
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:45   #153
BHPian

Re: Enfield Fantabulus?

btw OT - - is the person in the photo Venu ramesh Kumar , famed 2W rally rider ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:19   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
btw OT - - is the person in the photo Venu ramesh Kumar , famed 2W rally rider ?
Yes, you are right !!
He is Mr. VENU , I handle his 4 W s, which carry his 2W s to the " sporting Venues"
See, how easily we go OT.....never mind all in the game..thanks for the reminder, have to send him the link !!!
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:08   #155
BHPian

Its a small world after all - Sorry to go OT again, this is the last time!
Venu and I are regular in the 4W rally scene as navigators.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:03   #156
Senior - BHPian

Some shots of my fantabulus as I begin restoration, the first task is to get the engine started And running there was a lot of water damage in the engine. Will do a complete overhaul.

Any suggestions on how to replicate scripts on the bodywork currently I think they are painted on.
Attached Images

the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 22:11   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Some shots of my fantabulus as I begin restoration, the first task is to get the engine started And running there was a lot of water damage in the engine. Will do a complete overhaul.

Any suggestions on how to replicate scripts on the bodywork currently I think they are painted on.
Please take a extremely resolution image and then some tracing paper stick them and trace the design. Such things can be then easily measured back and get a poster painter and vola ! You will have it back post painting. The larger printer can be given to a poster or designer to make a trace for you or a sticker cutter to make n. Outline

Superb and all the best !
Old 8th September 2011, 00:59   #158
BHPian

Please, if you can do a "rustoration". The paint does not seem that bad. Its worth much more this way that a complete paint job. You can never replicate originality.
Old 8th September 2011, 16:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Please, if you can do a "rustoration". The paint does not seem that bad. Its worth much more this way that a complete paint job. You can never replicate originality.
I would love to buddy, but I am unclear as to how one would proceed ahead with what is know as " Rustoration" bear in mind that being in Mumbai any loss of paint inadvertently leads to formation of Rust. Also touch up of these areas will be quite tough. But no harm in trying
Old 8th September 2011, 17:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I would love to buddy, but I am unclear as to how one would proceed ahead with what is know as " Rustoration" bear in mind that being in Mumbai any loss of paint inadvertently leads to formation of Rust. Also touch up of these areas will be quite tough. But no harm in trying
How about clear coating it after giving a nice cleanup . I have seen many Rat rod builds (rotting / raw theme) in America ( by way of Google and TV) going that way.
Old 9th September 2011, 00:14   #161
BHPian

There is one member here from UK who is doing it on his scooter. I think he goes by "esuede" Probably check with him or google can offer a lot of help too.
Old 9th September 2011, 00:31   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
There is one member here from UK who is doing it on his scooter. I think he goes by "esuede" Probably check with him or google can offer a lot of help too.
Hi TuffRyder interesting project and I should say you are brave enough to handle this project which is unique by itself and very new. I also wanted to give you the similar idea what Kasli has suggested, try that however take measurements where the design to start and where to end, how much gap is there on either sides (for the front horn cast) on the domes how much distance is there along the seems of the domes etc etc apart from trace paper sketch (which in my opinion is the best) here in Hyderabad we have designers who hand paint on by cycles mud guards, frame with those gold lining, we have artists doing the drawings on Royal Enfield find out if you have any in Mumbai show it to them they should be helpful and I am sure this task will be at ease for you.
Old 9th September 2011, 00:46   #163
BHPian

Chanu: I really wish this scooter was mine.
Old 9th September 2011, 01:11   #164
Senior - BHPian

sorry it meant Mole, typo error, .don't mind
Old 9th September 2011, 18:58   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Lots of thanks the mole for featuring this one here. You are the proud owner of a rare scooter. I think this may be the only one of its kind, with the original paintwork in India! You have a Fantabulus in its original avatar.
It appeared in this avatar with the self starter in 1966. It had a battery- a rare feature in two-wheelers those days. The Bullet was already there with a battery however. The Fantabulus was available only in this colour during its first phase. The other two scooters ( Vespa and Lambretta- Rajdoot was yet to venture) had bookings and waiting lists, but this one was readily available.It sold quite well after the launch. But self starter problems dented its image soon. The kick starter version came around 1968. The British, two-tone colour was gone and the kick start version was available in single colours viz.commonly in white and tan brown colours.
Wishing you all the best for your project! The scooter is worth a visit to Mumbai just to see and photograph it. Hope to see it after restoration!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th September 2011 at 19:00.

Most Viewed