Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 10:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In Italian Sinistra is left and Destra is right".
Dear Karl - thanks for mentioning the full forms of the "S" and "D" markings on the wheel bolts. Just for our records' sake, I got this information from my father who had BMC9291. When we had a puncture and I had opened the left wheel, he had told me to be careful not to damage the left hand threads. He in turn had got this information from Mr.Charlie, who was the quintessential Christian foreman of the motor vehicles section inside the Tata Textile Mills (Swadeshi Mills, Kurla), where my father worked as head of cloth processing. This must be around 1972.

Congratulations on a wonderful job that you have done on MRW4577, Kaizad Zindabad! The car is going to come out brand new, the body alignment is original and wonderful. I don't know the original location of the battery in the super-select, but in our select it was on the right fender. Also in the select, the horn had a large bugle type projection and it was fitted to the battery tray. Some suggestions, I know, you may not implement all these things, but I would want to do this, if at all I restore one more car. I would especially want the Indica degassing tank to get out of the perennial problem of finding original pressure caps which actually work (although it is now highly unlikely that I will get myself to go mad with garages one more time, I don't get to use my cars in any case)! .

1. Use the Lucas TVS distributor without the vacuum advance, it will give you optimum performance as it's centrifugal advance goes to 15 degrees, as against 13 degrees with the vacuum advance distributor.
2. Post the pictures of the carburettor. I will tell you exactly how to jet it.
3. Route and tape the complete wiring harness so that it is almost invisible inside the engine compartment.
4. Use the S1 exhaust system with a 6 liter capacity expansion chamber built inside the muffler and 44.45mm diameter pipes. Bring the car to Pune for this work.
5. Use the S1 accelerator control system, the intake manifold is original, so it will take the outer cable mounting bracket.
6. Use an Indica degassing tank with S1 pipes.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 11:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Karl,
Great going ! It would be great if you could share or give an idea on the cost of such a restoration, so that enthusiasts have a fair Idea of what they are getting into.
Speak to a couple of high end workshops. Take the highest estimate possible. Multiply by three and you will be close to the figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Congratulations on a wonderful job that you have done on MRW4577, Kaizad Zindabad! The car is going to come out brand new, the body alignment is original and wonderful. I don't know the original location of the battery in the super-select, but in our select it was on the right fender. Also in the select, the horn had a large bugle type projection and it was fitted to the battery tray.
Thank you. For Select I have noticed the bugle horn fitted below the battery tray, but I have not seen them in Super Select, so just curious what would have come. Maybe the bugle continued too, I am not sure. But I liked the sound of this Marelli unit, plus will fit a pair of my favourite Jalwa (or similar) as well as a second horn.

Regarding battery tray it is again confusion - every car I see has it alternately on the left or right My car had no trace of it being on the left, so we let it be on the right. There is an original paint Select I have seen which also has it in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Some suggestions, I know, you may not implement all these things, but I would want to do this, if at all I restore one more car....
Thanks for this - in the future we will be preparing one masti car which will definitely have all of these incorporated. For now for this car I will keep it stock - you know I am thoda pagal.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 14:43   #18
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant work Karl! I love your attention to detail and your passion for restoration is something I can never think of matching.

And while I have utmost respect for Dhabar's technical prowess I am glad that you are going to restore it in stock condition.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Great thread Karl. Good to see a Super Select go to the right hands and continue soldiering on.

If I remember correctly, my old car had the battery tray on the left.

What's the name of the shade?
Old 21st September 2015, 16:19   #20
BHPian

I get immense pleasure while reading car restoration projects

Thanks Karl for the write up.

You FNG seems to have a done a fantastic job on the car thus far, the fit and finish look impeccable considering the age of the vehicle.

Kudos to your spirits to undertake a restoration project on an erstwhile FIAT

Awaiting the final pics and drive report.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:50   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on a great restoration job Karl. I have always been a big Fiat fan and seeing one of them get such special attention is a wonderful feeling.
I am not sure but I think the shade of the car is 'Pearl Ash'. My dad owned a Fiat back in early 80's which had a similar shade.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Karlos,

Missed seeing this thread, what an awesome restoration and an absolute beauty she has turned out on to. Man hats off to your spirit and the efforts of the resotrer. I am in love all over again.
Old 21st September 2015, 16:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
karlosdeville
Rarely do pictures move a person emotionally. I bet majority of Indian baby boomers (1980's born) will turn emotional in heart when they see these beautiful labour of love images.
Old 21st September 2015, 21:48   #24
BHPian

@karlosdeville: I'm quite surprised by your post where you called the laminate a Bakelite plate.

Incidentally, my family owns Bakelite Hylam Ltd, the company which gave the "Bakelite" plate its name.

We are currently manufacturing these in Himachal, and do have a lot of these in stock. If you need any laminates for your project do let me know, i'll be glad to help you out with these if we have the right shade available with us.
jaideepshinh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:55   #25
BHPian

Cannot wait to see the final picture of this beauty. Please post it soon
You are very lucky to possess a vintage car. How I wish I had a car like this.
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:04   #26
BHPian

Dear Karl,

For curiosity's sake, how many cars have you restored so far?

Goutham
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:05   #27
BHPian

Dear Karl,

I have a Padmini in a very similar shade (you can see beside). The previous owner mentioned the shade as "Pot Grey". The overcoat the car sports now is a shade darker than the original peeking through paint chips. Whatever its called, you have matched it to the original to the point where its visually indistinguishable - definitely period - so very classic!
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:22   #28
BHPian

Dear Sir,

Your restoration has set a flurry of memories and emotion to flow. As rightly said by a BHPian here, it has moved me emotionally. So many memories of the 'super select' during my early school days as it was almost our daily ride along with an Amby. Truly a delight to read your thread!
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:27   #29
BHPian

Dear Karl

It makes ones heart to flutter when you see a FIAT being restored, especially when it is done the way you are doing it and as per Beharam sir's quote " only way to do it, is to do it the right way ". Hope i got the quote right !

Wonderful body work and painting Karl, waiting anxiously to see final finish.

Good luck & regards

Dr. Kannan
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Dear Karl, it makes ones heart to flutter when you see a FIAT being restored, especially when it is done the way you are doing it and as per Beharam Sir's quote "only way to do it, is to do it the right way". Hope i got the quote right! Wonderful body work and painting Karl, waiting anxiously to see final finish. Good luck & regards, Dr. Kannan
Dear Dr.Kannan - hello after quite sometime! I want to give you (and all) two pieces of good news:

1. The exact sentence "word-by-word" is: "There is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way"! Quote of my revered teacher Mr.Anil Patel. .
2. I bought this car yesterday night at 11pm (yes, at 11pm)! It was purchased from Karnataka, re-registered in Pune and very lovingly kept and used by a reader of TeamBHP, who I was quietly guiding for quite sometime. He has bought himself a select, so I picked up this one. It's a 1986 model, one of the last cars with quarter windows. It is still in original paint, the name of the color is "Ellora".

I guess I am completely nuts, but that's the way I am! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_2589.jpg  

Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select-img_2588.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed