Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here-10.html)

I use my scooter regularly, and strongly feel that the 6V electricals can be upgraded. Despite my mech's best efforts, we are unable to improve the headlight beam. It is a bit unnerving on dark roads.
So was considering converting the electricals to 12V, and possibly installing a battery as well.
Some of the suggestions I've received are:
Rewire the dynamo to pump out 12 volts
Use the electrical system from a 12V scooter

Can someone advise me about the possibilities?

A conversion that I have used in the past if you are using the 6 pole stator plate for your electrics is to take all the lighting coils off a 12 volt vespa stator plate and place them on to a lambretta stator plate and to use a vespa 12 volt regulator.

You will need to be good with a soldering iron and have access to a few simple tools such as a drill and screw drivers some wire of the correct colours and correct connectors and some self tapping screws,but it is a quite simple and effective conversion. Get hold of a 12 volt vespa stator plate. If your stator plate has the 6 poles holding the coils then they should almost be identical except for the electronic pick up box on the vespa one.

You will need to de solder all the lighting coils and remove them from the vespa stator by bending the laminates up to get them off, making a note of the order that they go on to the stator ( make a drawing and number them in order as you take them off clockwise from the pick up box with the colours of the wires so that you don't get confused). NOTE you do not need the coil on the vespa stator that is used for the ignition circuit. This is conected to the pickup box and has a green wire attached to it.and a red attached to the pickup box.

You may find that the coils are too big for the lambretta stator plate. ie that the hole in the middle of the coils is to big for the laminates on the lambretta stator plate. You will have to remove some of the laminates ( the part that the coils go over) of the vespa stator. The easiest way is to drill out the rivets holding the laminates to the stator plate. repeat the process with the lambretta lighting coils and place them to one side.

Place the laminates that you took off the vespa stator on to the lambretta one. There should be enough that the vespa coils are a tight fit onto the stator plate. Drill some small deep holes in the laminates to attach them to the lambretta stator plate and screw and locktight some small diameter self tapping screws into the holes. Place the coils onto the stator and bend up or down the laminates to lock them into place making sure that they do not move.

Re solder the coils in the order that they came off making sure that you have enough wire coming from them to reach your new regulator. Make sure that all the coils are earthed to the stator if they were earthed on the original.

You should in theory now only have 2 wires coming from the stator. A green and yellow. The green is still 6 volt ignition circuit and goes to your ignition coil. The yellow goes to your new 12 regulator and plugs into one of the 2 sockets marked yellow. The other yellow socket is the output for you lighting circuit which you wiring loom plugs into.
Remember to change all your bulbs to 12 volt and you may have to connect a few wires together in to one wire to get everything to work depending on the type of wiring loom you have.
You can get a junction box that you plug all your lighting wires into and then take a wire from here to plug into the vespa regulator.
This is only one way of coverting to 12 volt as there many others but I hope this helps
Tony

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambytone (Post 885692)
A conversion that I have used in the past if you are using the 6 pole stator plate for your electrics is to take all the lighting coils off a 12 volt vespa stator plate and place them on to a lambretta stator plate and to use a vespa 12 volt regulator.

Have you done this mod yourself? From the detailed explanation, I suppose you have! I won't be able to do this myself, my mechanic will be the one, but was just hoping that I could get a few suggestions on 12V conversion. I guess it all depends on the parts I can get hold of here.
Do you have any photos of the work in progress?

Hi!
I have done this conversion before but sorry I have no photos to show you.
If you can get hold of a vespa ducati electronic stator plate and compare it to a 6 pole lambretta stator plate you will see the similarities between the 2. You only need the 4 lighting circuit coils off the vespa plate and a vespa regulator. The hardest part is the disassembly of the 2 plates and the laminates on the vespa plate.
Another alternative is to remove the whole stator plate from the vespa backing plate by drilling out the rivets on the back of the plate and doing the same to the lambretta one. Then to attach the vespa stator to the lambrettas backing plate.
You need then only remove the pickup box and ignition coil to the right of it and replace with the lambretta coil and points.
Wiring wise you could remove the white wire which goes directly to earth on the stator plate and then only have the green which is ignition and the yellow which supplies power to the regulator. As long as all earths are good then you should get a good output from the regulator.
I have heard of conversions just using the vespa regulator. I'm not sure how good it is though. Try this link

Lambretta Club of Great Britain - Easy 12V lights

Try this link for any information on the lambrettaand help

Lambretta Club of Great Britain - Welcome

and this is the lambretta club of great britain forum

Lambretta Club of Great Britain - Welcome

hope this helps. Regards Tony

Was checking up on which older Indian scooters have a 12V electrical system, as I'm looking for a suitable donor to convert my 6V system to 12V. The Bajaj Chetak and the LML Vespa are two possible candidates from which to lift parts for a 12V system.
Does anyone here know if SIL ever produced a 12V variation of the Vijai scooter?

SIL produced 12 volt points versions of the GP for the British market they also produce a 12volt electronic ignition system. This would be an easy conversion where by if you have the gp crank shaft with the thicker flywheel taper you can change the flywheel, stator, and regulator and coil to the electronic version using a cdi and regulator. There is also a version that will fit the smaller LI/ SX crankshaft taper as well.

I have used a regulator from a Bullet in place of the direct wiring on my lamby...simply connect the output leads from the generator to the regulator ant the output from the regulator to the switch works wonders and gives an impressive output. You can contact me on 09345796451 if you need further details
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 884896)
I use my scooter regularly, and strongly feel that the 6V electricals can be upgraded. Despite my mech's best efforts, we are unable to improve the headlight beam. It is a bit unnerving on dark roads.
So was considering converting the electricals to 12V, and possibly installing a battery as well.
Some of the suggestions I've received are:
Rewire the dynamo to pump out 12 volts
Use the electrical system from a 12V scooter

Can someone advise me about the possibilities?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 889776)
I have used a regulator from a Bullet in place of the direct wiring on my lamby...simply connect the output leads from the generator to the regulator ant the output from the regulator to the switch works wonders and gives an impressive output. You can contact me on 09345796451 if you need further details
:)

This sounds like a good option! Do you have any photos after fixing the Bullet regulator? I'll need to show a photo to my mechanic, so he can see how you have done it.

Apologies for the back to back posting, but this topic is not related to my previous post.
I have seen topics on Team BHP which discuss decarbing, but is all with reference to cars. Was looking for suggestions for decarbing a 150cc 2-stroke engine like the Lambretta's.

The reason is that I have experienced the increase in performance on my previous Lambretta. There was a time when that scooter became quite sluggish, FE was at an all-time low. Asked the mech to do something. When I got the bike back, the results were unbelievable! Pickup increased by 20-25%, FE was better, and the exhaust note was music to the ears! When I asked the mech what exactly had been done, he said that they had cleaned the cylinder.

I'm assuming he decarbed the cylinder. Can it be done using the decarbing machine as mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...html#post54682.
Will this process lead to carbon build-up in the silencer? How to decarb the silencer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 890030)
I'm assuming he decarbed the cylinder. Can it be done using the decarbing machine as mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...html#post54682.
Will this process lead to carbon build-up in the silencer? How to decarb the silencer?

If it is something that is fed into the engine through the intake to dissolve carbon then I guess that you won't be able to use that method to decarb a two stroke engine. It might screw up the lubrication provided to the crank main bearings by the 2t mixed petrol and it will screw up the main bearings.

Best bet is to get it done the usual way i.e., take off the cylinder head & block and scrape of the carbon carefully from the head and the piston and the ports.

To decarb the silencer they will cut it open clean it and weld it shut.

To convert your electricals to 12volt head to Ruby Electricals near Lal Bagh (gate i forgot) with your old stator plate. He will rewind it and provide you with a new regulator rectifier unit, if you want to use a battery you should tell that to him. Ruby is one of the best coil rewinding shops in Bangalore they have proper equipment to do the testing and the winding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 890145)
If it is something that is fed into the engine through the intake to dissolve carbon then I guess that you won't be able to use that method to decarb a two stroke engine. It might screw up the lubrication provided to the crank main bearings by the 2t mixed petrol and it will screw up the main bearings.

This info was really useful...thanks! With regard to fitting a battery, would I need to fabricate a battery tray to mount it? I've read about some guys mounting a battery in the toolbox compartment.
I need to get the scooter repainted as well, using the Lechler/PPG colour formulae for Lambretta new blue/new white two-tone combo, which I have found on a website.
There was a discussion about getting good paintjobs in B'lore: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...bangalore.html
I will contact some of the paintshops mentioned there. My requirement is for a full-blown repaint job, including frame/chassis. Basically, every painted part to be repainted.
Can anybody suggest a good paintshop to get this paintjob done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 891453)
With regard to fitting a battery, would I need to fabricate a battery tray to mount it? I've read about some guys mounting a battery in the toolbox compartment.

Yes you would need to. And yes, in some cases it is cut into the toolbox (as unfortunately in my other lambretta) or mounted between the petrol tank and toolbox as Ive seen.

Quote:

I need to get the scooter repainted as well, using the Lechler/PPG colour formulae for Lambretta new blue/new white two-tone combo, which I have found on a website.
Hmm, interesting! Ive never come across this formulae here. Is it available only abroad?

According to the Lambretta Restoration Guide by Vittorio Tessera New Blue(8038) and New White(8059) were only available on series 3 slimstyle models and not series 2 widestyle models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 891805)
Hmm, interesting! Ive never come across this formulae here. Is it available only abroad?

Apparently, this is one of the formulae used to specify the exact colour of paints. I was hoping I could get the exact shades of paint mixed/prepared by providing the paintshop with the PPG Formulae. And here's the link to the Lechler codes and PPG Formulae for original Lambretta paint combos:
Series 2 Facts
The blue/white colour combo that I'm looking at was first used on Series 3 Lambrettas, but never on Series 1/2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 890145)
To convert your electricals to 12volt head to Ruby Electricals near Lal Bagh (gate i forgot) with your old stator plate. He will rewind it and provide you with a new regulator rectifier unit, if you want to use a battery you should tell that to him. Ruby is one of the best coil rewinding shops in Bangalore they have proper equipment to do the testing and the winding.

I found Ruby Electricals today, but being a Sunday, it was closed. Ruby Electricals is on Krumbigal Road, which is one-way. Don't make the same mistake I made by approaching it from the no-entry side...I ended up riding around Lalbagh twice!
I will keep you posted on how the 12V conversion goes.