Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 893128)
I found Ruby Electricals today, but being a Sunday, it was closed. Ruby Electricals is on Krumbigal Road, which is one-way. Don't make the same mistake I made by approaching it from the no-entry side...I ended up riding around Lalbagh twice!
I will keep you posted on how the 12V conversion goes.

I'm glad that you were able to find the place Sidman. A long long time ago i had got my RX135's coil winding done by him to be able to use 55/60w headlamp bulbs. I never knew the name of the road. Anyways now i will not forget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 891453)
Can anybody suggest a good paintshop to get this paintjob done?

Just did a bit of painting work on one of my bikes and here are a few reccomendations
1. Please use the regular Duco paint and dont go in for enamling. The older bikes look good and will age like they should. Enamling gives it a fresh look but cant be retouched in case of a scratch etc.

2. Get the metal scraped out off all the earlier paint and fillers, put a coat of zinc oxide and let it dry for atleast 5 days. (not the best time of the year to paint)

3. Use the imported polyester putty for finishing the metal surface.

4. Best is to contact the painter for a labour charge and you provide him with all the materials. worth the effort. That ways you will buy the best quality stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheshagiri (Post 893573)
Just did a bit of painting work on one of my bikes and here are a few reccomendations
1. Please use the regular Duco paint and dont go in for enamling. The older bikes look good and will age like they should. Enamling gives it a fresh look but cant be retouched in case of a scratch etc.

Thanks for the suggestions! By Duco, I'm assuming you mean Nitro-cellulose (NC) paint. Which brand do you suggest? I hear ICI makes good Duco paints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheshagiri (Post 893573)
3. Use the imported polyester putty for finishing the metal surface.

Could you let me know the brand name? Is it known as "bondo" by any chance?

Anyways, now for some good news- after a brief delay due to the truckers' strike last week, my second lambretta, a 1960 s2 arrived safe and sound (barring a dent on the left floorboard) from madras yesterday morning. I went down with Mr. Rashid Mody to collect it. I had to go somewhere else from there so he drove the scooter to his home after we filled and started 'er up there.

From what he told me, it ran well enough, just needing a few adjustments.

Later, I'm going to plan on getting her properly painted (in period colours) so she could be ready for the 15th august rally!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 895432)
Anyways, now for some good news- after a brief delay due to the truckers' strike last week, my second lambretta, a 1960 s2 arrived safe and sound (barring a dent on the left floorboard) from madras yesterday morning.

clap:Good going! Was just hoping that this Lambretta would end up with a local enthusiast, instead of being shipped abroad. Chennai being a port, I was quite apprehensive that it might end up going that way. But Stanher acted quick and got it! Ok, I can see that you want to ready her for a rally on Aug 15th, so I guess you're going to need those parts I scored for you, and soon! And you better give me full details about the paintjob you have planned!

Thank you sidman! :)

Ive had Mr. Modi find out bout the tinkering/painting. There is one guy who's very experienced with doing up lambrettas so it'll be ok!

But the tinker says he is busy until the next 10 days after which he can take up my scoot. 'so will give it then.

Meanwhile here is a d 150 that was one of 4 or 5 unused from new and bought from the API factory itself, where they lay all these years! Its currently with Rashid Mody's son michael, awaiting restoration.

Also another one owned by the guy who sold me the '61 s2. Recently restored. IMHO the colour should be a creamish white (as on the unrestored scooter)) rather than pure milky white though.

Ooops, sorry for another back-to-back post but I had forgotten to add the other pic. in my last post!

Here is the restored d 150:

I suggest that we start a new thread dedicated to Lambretta scooter restoration and maintenance. The reason being, Stanher is restoring his 1960 LI 150 S2, and I'm doing the same with my 1970 model. We could exchange info on the more technical aspects of owning a Lambretta.
Roll Call: Is there anyone else beside Stanher and myself who is restoring a Lambretta scooter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidman (Post 901979)
Roll Call: Is there anyone else beside Stanher and myself who is restoring a Lambretta scooter?

Kaaaaaarl, where are yoooou???!!!! :D

I thought of all of you lambretta lovers 2 days ago. As you know I was travelling, I'd gone to Germany to see TheOne®

On my way back home I saw a beautiful Lambretta watch. It was called the Lambretta Cassola Chrono.

Cassola was one of the first drivers in the erstwhile Lambretta racing team and this beautiful retro-style chronographic watch was named after him. I could not resist and I bought it and now am a proud owner. Here is a picture.

Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 5129
Size:  42.4 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 913114)
I could not resist and I bought it and now am a proud owner. Here is a picture.

First the t-shirt, now this! Really cool...Sam's got a cool-looking Lambretta he can wear on his wrist! Plus, it tells the time!

Found these two while loafing around. Keeping them company was a Mark 1 Amby, which was for sale, details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post925278. I don't know if the scooters are for sale, hope to meet the owner next weekend.
You can expect more photos of other Lambrettas shortly. Since I got my scooter, I've met at least 5 other owners. For these elderly gents, the Lambretta is a prized possession, and a part and parcel of everyday life.

Looks like its been raining lambrettas lately!

These 2 here are for sale. ADY is a '67 model and ADR, I was told, is a '75 model! (I thought that was when the lamby came out)

He said he has a right side-panel at home for ADY. It looks pretty sad though, with a broken horncast and modified (and dented) mudguard.

Asking price is above 10k for both.

:OTthe vespa in the pics. also (there are 2 there, both '62 models) is for sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 929874)
Looks like its been raining lambrettas lately!

It's good to know that India has not been stripped of Lambrettas! Hope the few survivors end up with genuine people. See my post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post929946.

These are the Lambrettas (L I 150) in photos as they looked when introduced in 1960 by Automobile Products of India Ltd (API). Note the colour scheme in the two tone colour. Only the engine cover panels were in colour and the whole body was white in colour. After a year or so the front central console where the horn was located( between the footboards) was also painted in the same colour as the engine cover panels in the two tone paint scheme.
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-1713.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sonycamv-1714.jpg