Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 21:25   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
Is it possible to convert a vijai super to a gp 200 by changing only the cylinder block and piston? Veterans please advise
from TVS Express to 200cc Scoot, great keep it up dude !!
Yes,it is possible to convert ur vijai super 150 to 200cc, by changing your Cylinder kit ( barrel, piston, connecting rod & cylinder head),but this only will not serve the purpose, if your objective is to convert ur machine to be a GP 200.
Go for a close ratio gearbox & a better exhausts available for 200cc ported barrels. ( plz do not confuse better exhaust with Expansion Champers) and also convert it to "Electronic ignition".
Old 13th June 2009, 09:56   #257
octaneoverdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
from TVS Express to 200cc Scoot, great keep it up dude !!
Yes,it is possible to convert ur vijai super 150 to 200cc, by changing your Cylinder kit ( barrel, piston, connecting rod & cylinder head),but this only will not serve the purpose, if your objective is to convert ur machine to be a GP 200.
Go for a close ratio gearbox & a better exhausts available for 200cc ported barrels. ( plz do not confuse better exhaust with Expansion Champers) and also convert it to "Electronic ignition".

Thank you sir. Got the picture. I think I will have a problem with sourcing the closed ratio gear bit. there are tuner sites that calculate gearbox ratios for lambrettas. We can choose the no of gear teeth and it calculates the ratio. Apparently we can swap gearsets between a few lambretta models for power.

But my Lamby mechanic says that gearbox swaps are not possible.

Old 13th June 2009, 22:29   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
Thank you sir. Got the picture. I think I will have a problem with sourcing the closed ratio gear bit. there are tuner sites that calculate gearbox ratios for lambrettas. We can choose the no of gear teeth and it calculates the ratio. Apparently we can swap gearsets between a few lambretta models for power.

But my Lamby mechanic says that gearbox swaps are not possible.
You need not cobble various gears to to make suitable gearbox for your Gp 200.
if you try to make a CR gear box, with help of your local mechanics, you 'll end up in mess,unless ur mechanic is sound in gear box design ( its difficult to find a guy like that) So if you are serious,about a 200cc engine with CR gear box, I can introduce a person, who can supply the whole power train for your Gp 200 conversion.
OR if you have plans to do it your self,well....Get., Set., GO!!! find some one ,who's sound in gear box designing at least in "Industrial reduction Gear boxes"
Old 13th June 2009, 22:45   #259
BHPian

Quote:
there is a "KAL" logo on every Kerala Automobiles 3 wheelers, not in Lamby Autorickshaws.
Every Lamby Auto carries a logo API
I couldn't find a single "KAL" 3 wheeler, for past two days, but for sure at least 50 KAL a tuk tuk s running at my place, so some Lamy Auto rick monogram,...this way
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sdc11466.jpg  

Old 14th June 2009, 17:38   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But,plz go through that book : KAL ( Kerala Automobiles) would have purchased the "Tooling of chassis" from API, not the chassis design. or the chassis itself.Yes, we agree, there is a "KAL" logo on every Kerala Automobiles 3 wheelers, not in Lamby Autorickshaws.
Every Lamby Auto carries a logo API 175.
ps: @ Non- tech members : Tooling is ies & Fixtures for fabricating.
pps: And KAL 3 W's Chassis differ quiet a lot in the design, when comparing to the API machine
Well, this is what is quoted in the book:

"Some tooling did escape the closure of API intact and went to Kerala Automobiles Ltd. (KAL) with whom technical collaboration had taken place, and possibly Greaves Ltd (unverified).......KAL continue to make 3-wheeler powered chassis units for use as rickshaws or goods carriers that resemble the API standard."

There is even have a pic. of the driveaway chassis of one of the KAL autos but only rear side. I'm not sure if it's ok to put up the pic. here in view of copyright infringements etc.
While you were right about the tooling, I did however, see a KAL logo on the "Lamby" autos assembled on the KAL chassis.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:21   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, this is what is quoted in the book:

"Some tooling did escape the closure of API intact and went to Kerala Automobiles Ltd. (KAL) with whom technical collaboration had taken place, and possibly Greaves Ltd (unverified).......KAL continue to make 3-wheeler powered chassis units for use as rickshaws or goods carriers that resemble the API standard
"That resemble the API standard",, Yes, this is what Iam talking about!!
Tooling, means Dies, fixtures, mould bases, press tools & even some SPM's (special purpose machines),which was used to manufacture Lamby 2 W chassis, But the frame design & geometry will be either of KAL or its Collaborate rs,
To conclude this topic, On my opinion KAL 3W's no where comes close to API 3Ws,
Old 5th July 2009, 12:15   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
My dad is still die-hard fan of Labretta. His first scooter ever was a cream Labretta
Like this one? Couldn't resist clicking this snap.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-image1892.jpg  

Old 5th July 2009, 13:59   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Like this one? Couldn't resist clicking this snap.
I don't think he meant this kind. Techincally, it is a Lambretta but in India this model was konwn as Vijai Super, so none calls these as Lambrettas. He must have been referring to the 'regular' series 2 Lambretta.
Old 5th July 2009, 14:24   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think he meant this kind. Techincally, it is a Lambretta but in India this model was konwn as Vijai Super, so none calls these as Lambrettas. He must have been referring to the 'regular' series 2 Lambretta.
Ohh is it? I don't know much about this company and products only that it shut shop abruptly in India leaving many jobless. One of my family members, then, was an employee.
Old 5th July 2009, 15:23   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh is it? I don't know much about this company and products only that it shut shop abruptly in India leaving many jobless. One of my family members, then, was an employee.
You mean API (Automobile Products of India) at Bombay, right?

The other company that made the Vijai- SIL (Scooters India ltd. at lucknow still exists, although they make 7-seater 3-wheeler autorickshaws called Vikram now.
Old 5th July 2009, 15:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean API (Automobile Products of India) at Bombay, right?
I don't know API but when you say Bombay then you probably are right coz there is where that relative was!
Old 5th July 2009, 22:38   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

The erstwhile API plant in Chikalthana MIDC Aurangabad is walking distance from my house there. I asked directions, found the place, and found a monster of a Spencer's mall in its place. I was too late.
Old 5th July 2009, 23:09   #268
Senior - BHPian

Just back from Shivaji nagar, I saw a Vijai Super in black. It was too dark to take any pictures and it was raining as well. People still enjoy this scooter. Any idea why they shut shop so abruptly in Mumbai and other locations. I think they quit India all together.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:02   #269
Senior - BHPian

Well..the scooter was heavy & couldnt keep up the pace with the modern scooters from Bajaj & LML (like they could not keep pace with the new scooters from Honda & Suzuki later on)

Quote:
Just back from Shivaji nagar, I saw a Vijai Super in black. It was too dark to take any pictures and it was raining as well. People still enjoy this scooter. Any idea why they shut shop so abruptly in Mumbai and other locations. I think they quit India all together.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:09   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The erstwhile API plant in Chikalthana MIDC Aurangabad is walking distance from my house there.
I thought it was in Bhandup (suburb of Bombay?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks