Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 18:21   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
To each his own. The handle bar I think is taken from a Piaggio 3 wheeler. Integrated neatly I suppose.
No , its NOT Piaggio 3 wheeler Handle bar !!!! Handle bar is of "Lambretta Auto Ricksaw" ( API 175) or known as "Lambro" type C.
The modification is his wish, but the 3 wheeler handle bar fitted has a much low included angle,then what it suppose to be for this particular scoot,hence ergonomically(???) wrong, really uneasy to ride the scoot.

ps: will post pics of Series 1 Handle bar & 3W'r handle bar tomorrow
Old 27th July 2009, 12:25   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
No , its NOT Piaggio 3 wheeler Handle bar !!!! Handle bar is of "Lambretta Auto Ricksaw" ( API 175) or known as "Lambro" type C.
The modification is his wish, but the 3 wheeler handle bar fitted has a much low included angle,then what it suppose to be for this particular scoot,hence ergonomically(???) wrong, really uneasy to ride the scoot.

ps: will post pics of Series 1 Handle bar & 3W'r handle bar tomorrow
Just by looking at the scooter, you might feel uncomfortable. I had a gut feeling that this scooter has sacrificed comfort, and is going to be a bit of a handful to handle with the handle mod. I doubt it's going to be a pleasure to ride.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:59   #303
BHPian

Hi Lambretta Enthusiasts,
Got some info to share with you.
1) The flywheel side roller bearing (NU205) in Lambretta and Vijai are the same as the one used in RE bullet 350. Happened to notice it at a spare part shop yesterday.
2) As well, the rubber beading for the side covers (Engine covers) in a Bajaj/Vespa scooter is an alternate option as a toolbox beading. I am using the same and it fits so perfectly.
3) If you dont find a replacement oil seal for a leaking kick start shaft, he you go. Ask for a Bajaj M80 mainshaft oil seal.
These are alternatives which I wanted to share, and might be useful incase you dont find the right spare in your locality or might have to wait longer.

BTW has anyone succeeded in installing a 12V battery in yuor Lambretta/Vijai. I need some info on the wiring and the capacity of the alternator. Is the alternator voltage sufficient enough to charge the battery.

Thanks and regards,
Ilango
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:23   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
BTW has anyone succeeded in installing a 12V battery in yuor Lambretta/Vijai. I need some info on the wiring and the capacity of the alternator. Is the alternator voltage sufficient enough to charge the battery.

Thanks and regards,
Ilango
If you're putting in a 12 V battery, you'll have to upgrade the stator plate to 12 V. I am having a 12 V Amaron fitted to my scooter, but it'll only power the horn. The stator plate is already rewired for 12 V. You might need to fit a rectifier as well. There are wiring diagrams on the net...my mech says he'll do wiring better than the factory, so no worries there!
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:09   #305
BHPian

About Alternator voltage ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
If you're putting in a 12 V battery, you'll have to upgrade the stator plate to 12 V. I am having a 12 V Amaron fitted to my scooter, but it'll only power the horn. The stator plate is already rewired for 12 V. You might need to fit a rectifier as well. There are wiring diagrams on the net...my mech says he'll do wiring better than the factory, so no worries there!
Hi Sid,
Thanks for the immediate reply. Mine has got a 12V stator only. So no problem about the stator. The think that bothers me is that, a battery gets charged only when the charging voltage is higher than the voltage across the battery terminals. In cars, the alternator delivers 14 to 14.4V which is good enough for charging the battery. But, does the scooter alternator deliver a voltage high enough to charge the battery. Rectifier / regulators are something we can get home made for less than Rs10/- and some 15mins of time. The alternator voltage was my concern.

1) Does you battery get charged during the regular vehcile runs or else do you charge it in isolatin once in a while?
2) Is the upgraded stator rated for 12V or 14V? Could you please get this confirmed and let me know, so that I can decide whether to use the existing stator or give it for a rewinding?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2009, 11:01   #306
BHPian

Quote:
1) Does you battery get charged during the regular vehcile runs or else do you charge it in isolatin once in a while?
2) Is the upgraded stator rated for 12V or 14V? Could you please get this confirmed and let me know, so that I can decide whether to use the existing stator or give it for a rewinding?

Thanks in advance.
Ilango, I'm not really a DIY guy, don't possess an engineering background like some of you guys. But to answer your questions: Yes, battery gets charged when the scooter's running. I'll try to find out the exact stator rating. If you were in B'lore, you could have to Ruby Electricals near Lalbagh, and he might have answered all your questions.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:22   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Ilango, I'm not really a DIY guy, don't possess an engineering background like some of you guys. But to answer your questions: Yes, battery gets charged when the scooter's running. I'll try to find out the exact stator rating. If you were in B'lore, you could have to Ruby Electricals near Lalbagh, and he might have answered all your questions.
Hi Sid, It was not my intention to stress you out with loads of questions. Anyways thanks for the info. As I have not got a chance to visit Bangalore very often, let me try to find an answer somewhere here inside Pune.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:49   #308
BHPian

My Vijai Super Revamp

Hi all,
Here I would like to share a piece of experience on revamping my Vijai super. As mentioned earlier, I got this scooter 2 months back. The scooter was runnig, but in a really pathatic condition as the previous owner had no knowhow on where and how to get spares for this. He was running the scooter with out even an airfilter. With lessons from the net and tele-advices from mechanics (from Tamilnadu) known to me, I dared to rip the scooter all by myself and started with the engine rebuild. With the help of Saurabh, Shyam, and Madan (a friend from Madurai) I had sourced all the engine and cosmetic parts required. Meanwhile the rest of the vehicle was given for painting. I decided upon an all white (Pearl white from Tata Safari), and the this job was delayed by 3 weeks due to the regular monsoon rains here. Also have to include the undue delays from the painter's side. He concentrates more on cars and this scooter was a small job for him. For Ex: he earns about 3000/- on just painting a bumper or day or what so ever. Finally I got all the parts after repeated follow up, and sometimes angry yells.

Coming to the engine, the gearbox was the first thing I opened. The clutch plates had all stuck together and would never disengage. Otherwise it was ok. Opening up the head and bore, I was shocked to see lot number of scratches on the walls, especially due to the mud particles entering the stream along with the unfiltered air. Removing the flywheel support was relatively easier with by tightening 2 6mm bolts in the holes provided. Unfortunatelu due the extreme tight fit over here, the threads in the Aluminium casting went off. But at last there was no problem in removing the support. Now will all bearings removed, the engine block was washed twice with diesel and pressurized water. That was a good treatment to get rid of the oil film surrounding the block.

The re-building started with placing the 3 bearings (Rear wheel bearing, Flywheel side, and drive side) and oil seals in place. Had also replaced 4 cylinder studs. A local mechanic who guides me in this work suggested me to replace the connecting rod due to the excessive play in it. I am supposed to receive it this evening. Lets see.

Meanwhile I had done up with replacing bearings & brake shoes for the front wheel and kept ready for fitment. An improvised method to replace the engine mounts shall be discussed later. Also I got a clutch holder made from a grill works in our neighbourhood. To be continued..
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01959.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01961.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01962.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01963.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01964.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01965.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01973.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01974.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01975.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01976.jpg  

Old 6th August 2009, 13:49   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sid, It was not my intention to stress you out with loads of questions. Anyways thanks for the info. As I have not got a chance to visit Bangalore very often, let me try to find an answer somewhere here inside Pune.
No, I didn't get stressed out! I wish I had the answers to your questions, that's all. Will try to find out.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:36   #310
BHPian

Some more pictures

Hi all,
Attached here are some more pictures in continuation of my previous post.
From the pictures one could notice
1) Seats from Bajaj scooter have been retrofitted by adapting the Bajaj seat base bracket welded on to the Vijai Base bracket
2) 2 part spare wheel bracket. I am replacing with a single part bracket
3) Air hose without a filter.

- Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02031.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02035.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02036.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02033.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02055.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02056.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02057.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02059.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02060.jpg  

Old 11th August 2009, 09:53   #311
BHPian

Bangalore Classic Scooter Club - I-Day Rally

Bangalore Classic Scooter Club (BCSC) is holding an I-Day Rally (Sat. 15th Aug.). Route details not finalized, but will definitely include Cubbon Park, MG Road, Brigade Road. This one is not strictly for scooters, we are open to any two-wheelers manufactured before 1980. We are also open to Vijais and Lambys produced in the 80's. Send me a PM with your email id and mobile no. if you'd like to join us. Confirmed riders (bikes not confirmed ):
Arun
Siddharth aka Sidman
Gokul aka Lambro
Srivathsa aka Srivathsa_Satya

One highlight of this rally is, if all goes well, we will be unveiling my just-restored 1970 API Lambretta . Other highlights are there...surprise!!!
Join us, let's make this a really memorable I-Day!
Old 14th August 2009, 22:00   #312
BHPian

Quote:
One highlight of this rally is, if all goes well, we will be unveiling my just-restored 1970 API Lambretta .
Looks like the unveiling won't happen on I Day as planned, due to some last minute work that shaved a couple of days off our schedule. However, you can be 95% sure that pics of the restored MEB 1222 will be up next week!
Old 15th August 2009, 00:02   #313
Senior - BHPian

Lambretta Sensex

So Gentleman, I was just going through the early days of this thread and what amused me is how we started with putting appropriate prices one should pay for Various lambrettas available down the years. we came up with some amusing numbers 2yrs ago. Now that many of us have scoured the market for our dream Lambrettas can we put down a pricing excercise of the cheapest price that we may have encountered for a particular series.

Here is what has come my way so far. And this is in the last 6mths, anything older than this thread does not count.

D type: Rs 1,20,000 (the holy grail of the lambrettas?)
LD : Rs 85,000
Series 1: Rs 55,000
Series 2 (pre 62) :Rs 10,000 (on ebay)

Everything else from free- Rs 15,000

What has been everyone else's experience?
Old 15th August 2009, 22:06   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Classic Scooter Club (BCSC) is holding an I-Day Rally (Sat. 15th Aug.).
The Rally included only 2 bikes in the end, as only Arun and me were able to make it. Arun lent me his 1960 Lambretta for the Rally, and he rode a 197? Lambretta. We did get a lot of second and third glances from passing motorists, some with smiles on their faces which told of their fond memories of the Lambretta. Photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00640.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00657.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00658.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00659.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00660.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00662.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00667.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00668.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00672.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th August 2009, 17:19   #315
BANNED

Quote:
The Rally included only 2 bikes in the end, as only Arun and me were able to make it. Arun lent me his 1960 Lambretta for the Rally, and he rode a 197? Lambretta. We did get a lot of second and third glances from passing motorists, some with smiles on their faces which told of their fond memories of the Lambretta. Photos:
Hey Sidman am very disappointed. You said that you would update me on time and venue but din't ! I din't go to Chennai and could have attended the Meet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks