Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2007, 12:50   #31
BANNED

Take it for 5K looks like a good deal. And with the stuff to be changed on it the owner seems to have taken good care of it.
Old 9th May 2007, 14:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
theyve got good torque as good as a RE bullet. we had one sardar "bitta" in college days 1988 who had this lamby really loooong bike with the stepney fitted near to horizontal and then 5 of us including sardar bhai would go for a ride down the college roads. the FE was around 30.

still not worth 8000 but if ur heart rules the mind take it. to each his own.

its worth enjoying to have a ride that you love to ride.
haggled him down to 5k.
is it worth it ??????
Old 9th May 2007, 14:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

if u dont want it, let me have it!
Old 9th May 2007, 14:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
if u dont want it, let me have it!
dude you have no clue how much i have hunted this bike. . .will be taking possesion today.
cheers
Old 9th May 2007, 14:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

wonderfull...keep us posted...pics please
Old 9th May 2007, 14:57   #36
BHPian

man take it for 5K when u like something pick it especially if you just want to have it. just look for rust on the floor near brake pedal, check that rear wheel bearing is ok and wheel not wobbling, check straightline stability for no weight issues to either left right.

some mechanical issue will be there which can get sorted at the local garage and see if you can get all TOOLS & Spares whatever that he has for the price of 5K

we normally have a night out at a bar and spend 2 to 3K whats 5K when u r getting what u like even if its a little on the higher side

Last edited by 2fast4u : 9th May 2007 at 14:59.
Old 9th May 2007, 17:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... looking at the general sentiment you are probably gonna pick it up now. Yes, we do spend 2-3k in a night-out. From that perspective 5k for a vehicle sounds damn good. However if you want to know whether thats a fair valuation I would say no. Not by a mile and more. I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back. Its insane. Lambrettas do not fetch more than 3k even when they are in mint condition. In your case it will still require another 10-15k in repair costs. Well, that means the final landing cost for the scooter will be something between 15-20k. Uhuh... I would not have bought it mate.

Also remember that you do not get parts for Lambretta so easily. Mostly you will have to find a good mechanic who will always arrange for some jugaad to keep the vehicle running. That includes scavenged parts from junk dealers, second-hand parts from chor bazaars or else tweaks to fit parts from otehr vehicles.

I would have understood all these if Lambrettas had some antic values. But they don't have that either.
Old 9th May 2007, 22:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm... looking at the general sentiment you are probably gonna pick it up now. Yes, we do spend 2-3k in a night-out. From that perspective 5k for a vehicle sounds damn good. However if you want to know whether thats a fair valuation I would say no. Not by a mile and more. I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back. Its insane. Lambrettas do not fetch more than 3k even when they are in mint condition. In your case it will still require another 10-15k in repair costs. Well, that means the final landing cost for the scooter will be something between 15-20k. Uhuh... I would not have bought it mate.

Also remember that you do not get parts for Lambretta so easily. Mostly you will have to find a good mechanic who will always arrange for some jugaad to keep the vehicle running. That includes scavenged parts from junk dealers, second-hand parts from chor bazaars or else tweaks to fit parts from otehr vehicles.

I would have understood all these if Lambrettas had some antic values. But they don't have that either.
you have me confused again . . .
hehehehe
btw my other ride is an 1984 bullet.
Old 9th May 2007, 22:50   #39
BHPian

My Grandad had one, he gave of generiously..! to his Lab assistant.
Old 9th May 2007, 23:36   #40
Team-BHP Support

5 k go get it!! get some classic color scheme and fix a cdi ignition from newer gen scooter
Old 9th May 2007, 23:53   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I already wrote earlier these things when new were sold for around 5k. So basically the Parsi drove it to the ground in all these years (immaterial of how well he maintained it) and now is getting paid the amount that he probably paid for it decades back.
hey hey hey factor in the inflation too, the index cost of money back then.
so to get a correct calculation of the gain/loss of the original owner, 5000 x index no of years divided by xxx, but does the real cost of money matter in this case, i guess not
Pal if you feel right, go get it!!

manson.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:35   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
hey hey hey factor in the inflation too, the index cost of money back then.
so to get a correct calculation of the gain/loss of the original owner, 5000 x index no of years divided by xxx, but does the real cost of money matter in this case, i guess not
Pal if you feel right, go get it!!

manson.
Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy. A vehicle is not an investment in gold or property or some such thing. Vehicles, machinery etc do not appreciate or factor in the inflationary cost. They depreciate in value over the years. Till the time when they reduce to zero value. That is when machinery and vehicles are scrapped. Now a lambretta of 25 years vintage is nothing but scrap.

I remember when my dad's lambretta was sold off our mech had given a straight faced reply. He said, you will be better off selling it to some junk dealer by weight. Chances are you will get more that ways. That was because we were not getting anyone willing to buy it for more than 1000 bucks. Ultimately we sold it off to someone for 1500 rupees. And mind you it was in fine running condition. Had a paint job done and the engine was completely overhauled and all.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy.
Had a paint job done and the engine was completely overhauled and all.
and yet, funnily, most of the Lambretta's in Europe today (fully restored ones) fetch close to 1000 pounds and above.
Old 10th May 2007, 00:47   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey manson... there is a small prob there buddy. A vehicle is not an investment in gold or property or some such thing. Vehicles, machinery etc do not appreciate or factor in the inflationary cost. They depreciate in value over the years. Till the time when they reduce to zero value. That is when machinery and vehicles are scrapped. Now a lambretta of 25 years vintage is nothing but scrap.
But what i was tryin to point out was that rs.5000 spent back in 1984 had a lot more value than rs.5000 now.
by the formula i mentioned, one would figure what the rs.5000 spent in 1984 means in today's value.
And, automobiles (atleast cars), ceased to be called a type of an investment till only 15-17 years ago. Thee was a time when prices were always gradually increased, remember my father tellin me that back then they would sell off a vehicle after three - four years of use for close to the original purchasing value, simply due to the increasing prices, very unlike the scenario today. Maybe our old school members could shed some more ight on the same.

manson.
Old 11th May 2007, 21:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

hello all,

with great disappointment i have to say that i did not pick that lamby up.

many reasons. main was . . . i was looking for that scooter to be a back up for my bullet and all including my mechanic told me if i ride the scooter for a long time my back will be f&*#@d. so if anyone would like to buy that bike kindly pm me.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks