Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 11:16   #526
BHPian

Lambretta Mini Rally 11/04/2010

Hi all,
Finally after spending about 2 months on assembling and testing of Sunil's Li150, Rakesh & Sunil came up with an idea of driving the vehicles into the city and meet some friends and the previous owners of the scooters. We where all setup for the drive on Sunday Morning. With some last minute niggles the Cento had to stay back at home.

We all left Nigdi at about 11:30 AM with 2 Li 150s, 1 Lamby and 1 Vijai.
Pearl Wile & Pearl Yellow Li 150 (1960 I think) - Sunil
Wile & Blue Li 150 (1964 I think) - Shailesh
Pearl White & Red Lamby 150 (1985) - Rakesh
Pearl While Vijai MK - I (1983) - Me
Ofcourse Rohit (Rakesh's bro) occupied the pillion seat (He was supposed to drive the Cento).
We did the fuelling, visited our technical advisor (a mechanic who had the knowledge but no time for Lambrettas), a Lambretta enthusiast (a frind of Rakesh), the painters who had painted our scooters, the previous onwer's of Yellow Li & Red LY. Where ever we had parked the scooters for some snacks or tea, there was a crowd gathered around with a huge questionaire. I assume almost everyone would have gone through such a question bank while driving around. We all returned back home at around 21:00, after covering 74 Kms and visting about 10 people.
Our thanks to Saurabh, Arun, Shyam, Meepaharan Uncle, Jayanta & many others for helping out in this restoration.
Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_12.23.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_12.47_01.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-100420101893.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_12.26.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-110420101903.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_12.57_03.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_15.15.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_17.35.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_19.45.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-p110410_19.47_01.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 13th April 2010 at 11:20.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:37   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, awesome!! Great to see these pics., needless to say you guys would've had a whale of a time! Am truly envious of ya!
Old 14th April 2010, 00:37   #528
Senior - BHPian

Wow you must had a lovely time. This reminds me of those days when I used to drive a very very well maintained Allwyn pushpak here in Hyd. It was my then good family friend, uncle at one point had gifted that scooter to me for free I hasitated to take for free. That scooted was brought by uncle as a first scooter believe me he learnt driving then on that pushpak. The previous owner clocked around 8000 kms in the entire 10yrs life I was told he used it for 4-6 kms on a weekend to travell to the tennis ground. I still miss those days. I was the king in my college with a unique scooter awesome pickup it had its just like flying/driving a plane on road.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:49   #529
BHPian

wowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoquattro View Post
Just to put in a little juice to the conversation...

clicked this at the pune festival

that is beautiful and unique.. which year thou??
Old 16th April 2010, 17:13   #530
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics..LD looks immaculate.Doesnt LD come in any other body colour.
Most of the LDs are of same beige colour.
Old 17th April 2010, 08:57   #531
BANNED

this is the third attempt to upload
Anyway, Hats off to you boys, I salute to your Dedication,very nice keep on going like this.
I will like to add few pictures, of a vehicle constructed by me Using Vijay super parts . It was 12 years back ,I did this bike for a friend who has a record on his name .He was the first handicaped person to drive to Khardungla on a scooter (kinetic honda) in 1993. well have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-scan0005.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-scan0008.jpg  

Old 17th April 2010, 22:21   #532
Senior - BHPian

I guess that's an LD, lovely maintained. Here also one of a known person to me has it and it is also well maintained and regular to the vintage/classic rallies.

Sudershan that scooter looks somewhat like a ATV or some German vehicle to me. I know great levels of engineering must have gone into that. I am sure the scooter has enough power and its chain driven capabilities are good enough to pull the scooter even if its a sandy terrian. Does he still drive it. If so then you can modifi the same with a self starter option now apart from the handle bar to start. Some body panes of M80 or sunny on the front will also add up to good luck and protect the driver from mud slush on a rainy day.

Last edited by chanu : 17th April 2010 at 22:24.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:58   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I guess that's an LD, lovely maintained. Here also one of a known person to me has it and it is also well maintained and regular to the vintage/classic rallies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar View Post
that is beautiful and unique.. which year thou??
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Awesome pics..LD looks immaculate.Doesnt LD come in any other body colour.
Most of the LDs are of same beige colour.
This is technically not an LD, it was known as "150 d" although mechanically the same as an LD. Our junta call it as "open LD" though!

Year could be 1954-56.

They mostly came in this colour, or a creamy white. Some also came in grey.

Here is a recently restored one in seemingly the same colour at the last rally in hyd.:

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_4755.jpg

Also while we are on the topic of LDs, here is a beautifully preserved LD mk3 instruction manual I recently bought on ebay UK:

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_5440.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_5441.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_5442.jpg
Old 19th April 2010, 09:05   #534
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post

Sudershan that scooter looks somewhat like a ATV or some German vehicle to me. I know great levels of engineering must have gone into that. I am sure the scooter has enough power and its chain driven capabilities are good enough to pull the scooter even if its a sandy terrian. Does he still drive it. If so then you can modifi the same with a self starter option now apart from the handle bar to start. Some body panes of M80 or sunny on the front will also add up to good luck and protect the driver from mud slush on a rainy day.
Well, chanu Mr. Rajan (my friend ) in the photo , passed away in the year 2000. After that the project was abandoned,and the vehicle was handed over to his relatives.
Are you talking about my 'engineering' levels ? If yes, then It was HIS encouragement rather than my skills & knowledge made this thing happen.
Old 24th April 2010, 09:49   #535
BHPian

Members found a lamby which is in two half's the scoots gone to ground , anyway tried and got the spares what I needed except one ---Chassis I am looking out for a Lamby/lambretta chassis so I could start from scratch , do let me know if there is one around .
Old 20th May 2010, 02:37   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzone View Post
Members found a lamby which is in two half's the scoots gone to ground , anyway tried and got the spares what I needed except one ---Chassis I am looking out for a Lamby/lambretta chassis so I could start from scratch , do let me know if there is one around .
Won't papers become an issue? You'll have to do some jhol!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:40   #537
BHPian

why jhol ???? when the previous owner has given me the documents, the scoot is into two halves not the documents.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:59   #538
BHPian

The original chassis number is written in the documents, so if you change the chassis, it won't match. You'll always be at the mercy of the RTO.
I personally prefer to have an integral machine. You can't go wrong. That's just my humble opinion.
Cheers
Old 29th May 2010, 11:44   #539
BHPian

I understand what you try to ask me but I have found out there is a legal way to do this when your chasis has been damaged . Thats the reason I am starting with this.
Old 6th June 2010, 01:37   #540
BHPian

ok... that's good. Let us know how it goes.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks