Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 21:39   #586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Here is my Allwyn Pushpak
Boss ,we had purchased 2 nos. Allwyn Pushpaks in the year 1981 or soI am dead sure it used to have moving front mudguard like that of Bajaj Super and unlike Vijay Super which had fixed one., it seems during restoration you have changed original front mud guard to the one from Vijay Super.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:20   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey congrats, sid! Scoot looks great!
I'd seen this before in pics. of the BCSC rallies, but thought it belonged to arun.

Amazing to find the original paint still in good shape!
I first had a mk2 Vijai, learnt 2-wheeler driving on it! It too was in original paint when bought but wasnt in such a great condition! I wasnt too fond of the mk2 mudguard so converted it to the earlier mk1 type later.
You're right, your scoot doesnt need any major work as of now! Needless to say, have fun with it!
Thanks, Shyam! Finding a 25 year old scooter in this shape is extremely rare. It belonged to Arun. My fiancee picked it up from him and gifted it to me
Planning to maintain it in original paint for as long as possible. Was thinking of getting a little touch up and Lacquering done. Front tyre has uneven wear, but not caused by this scooter. It seems to have been taken off a scooter which had some alignment issue with the front wheel, and fitted on this one. I have my Lambretta's old Modistone tyres lying around, will use one of those. It needs new legshield beading as the clamps to mount the front basket have chewed into the rubber.
Also, wanted to change to the long seat. I'm 6 feet tall, and the single seat forces me to sit too much in front. The handlebars touch my knees when I'm turning sometimes. Long seat will enable me to sit more back, and give more place for my knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Congrats Sid,
Has almost the same looks of my dad's scooter.
Are there floor strips under the mat. My dad's cooter came with a plain floor mat, without floor strips. And there was a long metal strip running along the sides. It was there was 15 years and the painter removed them off and converetd them to the regular floor mat with floor strips. The metal side strips are still lying at home, as they dont fit along with the platic strips.
Do replace the clutch lever. Had you intentionally removed the spare wheel bracket?
Thanks, Ilango! It has floor strips. Will look for an original clutch lever. Arun removed the stepny bracket to give it a sportier look, I think. He'll give it to me to fit on again. But I think I can't use it if I fit the long seat.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:36   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Boss ,we had purchased 2 nos. Allwyn Pushpaks in the year 1981 or soI am dead sure it used to have moving front mudguard like that of Bajaj Super and unlike Vijay Super which had fixed one., it seems during restoration you have changed original front mud guard to the one from Vijay Super.
Sorry I seem to be just popping up once in a while like a jack-in-the-box lately- blame it on my faulty net connection at home!!

Anyways, just logged in to point out here- the initial Allwyn Pushpaks (1977-80) DID indeed come with the fixed Vijai/GP mudguard, and girish's Pushpak is a '77 model, so it is very much original to this scooter. The post 1980 ones came with the bajaj-like mudguards like yours had.

BTW, anyone here also know that Allwyn Pushpak was initially named Vijai Pushpak by APSL? But it seems to have been made in fewer numbers from what I have seen, that too found only in the AP area, where people refer even to Vijai Supers as Vijai Pushpak.

I knew a 1-owner example in Vizag a few years ago, no idea if they still have it. 'should have some photos of it, need to dig them out from my system.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:05   #589
BHPian

Leighton, when you say you have restored your Pushpak, what you mean is you have restored it as a GP. Not the same my friend!
It isn't that easy to restore a Pushpak to original in the UK.

Here's mine in Gulf War, tank, livery alongside its 'mock GP' mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-26062009020.jpg  

Last edited by Mitch : 9th September 2010 at 21:13.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:17   #590
BHPian

If anyone knows where I can find the 'ladies footrest' or any other Allwyn Pushpak original bits or embellishments in the UK I would be very pleased to hear.

Cheers folks

PS. Oh, and Stanher, I have found something under a cover near to my home which may be of interest to you. For now it remains a secret but I'll try to get a picture of it...

Last edited by Mitch : 9th September 2010 at 21:20.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:22   #591
BHPian

Anyone know how you can date an Allwyn from its frame number?
Old 16th October 2010, 00:13   #592
BHPian

Hi all

I'm a UK based scooter enthusiast with a special interest in and passion for, Indian made Lambrettas. I've been an admirer of this site (and this thread) for a couple of years now, so I'm really pleased to have been granted membership. Thought I'd post a picture of my latest project - for those who don't recognise what it is, it's a 1983 Kelvinator Avanti 150.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-001.jpg  

Old 16th October 2010, 11:18   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Nice to see more of your Pushpak, Mitch!

How about some detailed pics. of the restoration process (like what you'd uploaded of your Vijai) if any??

Quote:
If anyone knows where I can find the 'ladies footrest' or any other Allwyn Pushpak original bits or embellishments in the UK I would be very pleased to hear.

PS. Oh, and Stanher, I have found something under a cover near to my home which may be of interest to you. For now it remains a secret but I'll try to get a picture of it...
Hmm.....I'll bear the suspense for now!

Finding the original footrest would be difficult now as there are very few of these scooters left around. I had one with me that I let a friend have.

Quote:
Anyone know how you can date an Allwyn from its frame number?
Again a difficult task, considering that we have no club over here that gives a date certificate etc. unlike what you have in the UK. Since you werent provided with the original Indian log book, only known hope would be if you know the original Indian regn. it had, which you'd need to find out the local RTO (like your DVLA) where it was registered, see if they still have the records and then you'd know the year. An alternative would be to find someone with a similar scooter in India, compare it's chassis no. with yours and if they have the same series, presume it's from the same year.
Yours is a 'mk2' Pushpak, with the turning 'bajaj-like' mudguard so it would be post 1980 as the previous models came with the normal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I'm a UK based scooter enthusiast with a special interest in and passion for, Indian made Lambrettas.
Thought I'd post a picture of my latest project - for those who don't recognise what it is, it's a 1983 Kelvinator Avanti 150.
A very well-preserved scooter you've got there! Lucky you! 'hope you are able to retain it as it is if you restore it.
Aside, I see its another scooter from Rajasthan. I cant believe how many of these have existed there, I dont recall noticing these many when I had lived there! But of course, I was just a kid and not much into scooters then.
The hot, dry weather in that part of the country is also very helpful in preserving these scooters despite any lack of maintenance, unlike down here in the south.
Old 16th October 2010, 13:50   #594
BHPian

Hi Stanher

Yes, it is a well preserved example. I 'm currently disassembling it with a view to re-cabling, new electrics, brakes, engine over haul etc. Not going to touch the paint other than a polish and some rust stabiliser. Will put it back on the road as what in the UK is called a 'rustoration'.

I'm lucky that I obtained the original Indian owners documents and a copy of the original sales brochure with the vehicle too. Have been trying to find out more about these but so far my extensive research has yielded little beyond the following;

Kelvinator India started production of the Avanti in 1982 in a former sick unit at Alwar, Rajasthan with the cooperation of Aravali Swachalit Vahan Ltd. Machines were distributed via Expo Machinery Ltd. I'm told production ceased in the mid 80s but do not have an exact date.

Would be grateful for any further information from any BHPians.

Regards
Ed
Old 16th October 2010, 14:18   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Leighton, when you say you have restored your Pushpak, what you mean is you have restored it as a GP. Not the same my friend!
It isn't that easy to restore a Pushpak to original in the UK.

Hi Mitch

Have looked your Pushpak over several times at various rallies - really like what you've done with it

Regards
Ed
Old 16th October 2010, 15:12   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I 'm currently disassembling it with a view to re-cabling, new electrics, brakes, engine over haul etc. Not going to touch the paint other than a polish and some rust stabiliser. Will put it back on the road as what in the UK is called a 'rustoration'.

I'm lucky that I obtained the original Indian owners documents and a copy of the original sales brochure with the vehicle too.

Kelvinator India started production of the Avanti in 1982 in a former sick unit at Alwar, Rajasthan with the cooperation of Aravali Swachalit Vahan Ltd. Machines were distributed via Expo Machinery Ltd. I'm told production ceased in the mid 80s but do not have an exact date.
'glad you're going to be preserving the exterior. Yes barring the floor, the paint does still look good, although I'm not able to tell if its the original paint or a repaint. Even the rust on the front rim and bolts seem to be recent, most likely from your UK climate!

Could you scan and upload the sales brochure copy here sometime?

Was your scooter a 1-onwer owned example in India? 'certainly looks like it.

Very interesting info. on the history you have there. That it was made in Rajasthan explains why there are quite a few of these from over there.

Incidentally, I remember a mechanic here who had one in Pista Green and I'd even looked at it when he'd offered it for sale around 10 years ago. It must've been the first time I came across one of these, I used to see more Vijais and Allwyns around. It wasnt half as good in condition as yours though! 'still wish I'd picked it up!
Old 16th October 2010, 23:36   #597
BHPian

Hi Stanher

The scooter has been resprayed in India - the original colour has come through in places - it was originally a cream colour by the look of it. The only UK owner before me bought it straight from the import crate so I'm only it's second UK owner From the Indian documents it would appear to have been a one owner vehicle whilst in its native land.

I think some of the rust is genuine Indian - but the UK climate will have certainly added to it!

Went to my local Lambretta dealer today (AF Rayspeed - who used to be the UK SIL importer from 1981 until the end of SIL scooter production) - bought new wheel rims, tyres, wiring loom, etc, etc. Starting to stock pile all the bits I need so that when I am ready to strip and rebuild over winter, I'm able to get on with the job swiftly.

The sales brochure shows a bright orange example - a really nice bright orange too - I will put a brochure scan on here but do not own a scanner, so please bear with me and I'll get a friend to sort this.

Will post some more photos later this evening too.

Regards
Ed
Old 17th October 2010, 00:14   #598
BHPian

Hi all - more photos as promised

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-003-3.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-008-2.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-005-2.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 08:25   #599
BHPian

Thats a nice scooter Ed. If it is not in its original paint, I would repaint it if I could get those decals that are on the side shields. Here is more info that I found about Avanti. I wonder if it is the same Pacco, that makes the carbs.

"Kelvinator started the Avanti corporation as an automobile company. It was sold to Pacco in 1999 who incorporated it into their moped manufacturing facility and renamed it as Monto Motors. Today, Monto Motors is manufacturing a wide array of product starting from mopeds to cranks and shafts. The company has a very efficient team of workers headed by the chairman Mr. Chand Mehta and The President Mr. Abjit Singh Gulati."
Old 17th October 2010, 13:51   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Thats a nice scooter Ed. If it is not in its original paint, I would repaint it if I could get those decals that are on the side shields. Here is more info that I found about Avanti. I wonder if it is the same Pacco, that makes the carbs.

"Kelvinator started the Avanti corporation as an automobile company. It was sold to Pacco in 1999 who incorporated it into their moped manufacturing facility and renamed it as Monto Motors. Today, Monto Motors is manufacturing a wide array of product starting from mopeds to cranks and shafts. The company has a very efficient team of workers headed by the chairman Mr. Chand Mehta and The President Mr. Abjit Singh Gulati."
Hi TuffRyder

Thank you for the information.

The decals are in fact metal (alloy) trims so can be removed and re-used if needed. I might one day fully restore this scooter but for now I want to strike a balance between making it reliable and safe and maintaining it's unique Indian charactor and history

Compared to some of the unrestored machines that reach the UK from India, this example is in superb condition and it seems a shame to mess about with it more than is necessary. In the UK we have very stringent vehicle testing of our vehicles on an annual basis (MOT test). As such, the collapsed front wheel bearings, completely bald tyres, smashed back light unit, etc will need to be tackled in order to pass this test which is the first step towards a UK registration.

I will be keeping it's Indian registration decal on the front legsheild however, even when it gains it's new UK number - luckily under UK law, we only have to display a registration plate on the rear of a motorcycle/scooter.

Regards
Ed

Most Viewed