Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 10:07   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I thought I'd post up some pictures of a couple of Lambrettas that might look a little different to Indian eyes

These are 2 scooters owned by me and my wife, Viv. The black Lambretta is based on an Italian series 3 LI (1962) frame, the yellow Lambretta a Spanish made 1971 LI. Both have been renovated in the style of 'Skellies' (short for skeleton). This was a custom style here in the UK that was popular in the late 1960s/early 1970's. The idea is to make a feature of the scooter frame itself.

Regards
Ed
Hi Ed

Can you guide us, maybe a new thread on how to convert a Lambretta to a skelli. Many scooters are available with original panels and bits missing and sometimes it doesnt make sense to bend over backwards to source them, I think converting them to skellies would be a great idea. Atleast such scooters can live a creative life. Look forward to your skelli thread.

regards
Amol
Old 5th April 2011, 12:47   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Ed

Can you guide us, maybe a new thread on how to convert a Lambretta to a skelli. Many scooters are available with original panels and bits missing and sometimes it doesnt make sense to bend over backwards to source them, I think converting them to skellies would be a great idea. Atleast such scooters can live a creative life. Look forward to your skelli thread.

regards
Amol
Thank you m_upreti and Amol for your positive response to these - I was a little uncertain as to how people might react to these as they can be very much an acquired taste and the idea of removing all the bodywork that makes the scooter graceful can upset some people (I'm not joking!!!). Bala (Chanu) has already seen these so I knew I could rely on his support

If there is enough interest in this scooter style to warrant doing so, I'd be only too happy to start a new thread - what do you think guys?

Regards
Ed
Old 5th April 2011, 14:29   #663
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ed and Amol,

There is one such conversion done on a sccoter in bangalore. Here are the pics and link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...b-bcsc-16.html

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01921.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01922.jpg
Old 5th April 2011, 14:55   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hi Ed and Amol,

There is one such conversion done on a sccoter in bangalore. Here are the pics and link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...b-bcsc-16.html

Attachment 527419

Attachment 527420
Manish nice modification! but not a skelli correct me if wrong Ed, but a skelli involves stripping down the scooter to its bare frame without hiding any of its interior running parts, generally no modification is done on the panels themselves they are simply removed, its basically a very creative expression of the frame and the internals using only colours and certain accessories. But what i really want to understand from ed is all the mechanical modifications to suspension etc that may have been done to get the performance on the skelli.

Edit: but then I think Vespas are unibody so you cant remove the panels completely right??

Last edited by the mole : 5th April 2011 at 15:11.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:08   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Manish nice modification! but not a skelli correct me if wrong Ed, but a skelli involves stripping down the scooter to its bare frame without hiding any of its interior running parts, generally no modification is done on the panels themselves they are simply removed, its basically a very creative expression of the frame and the internals using only colours and certain accessories. But what i really want to understand from ed is all the mechanical modifications to suspension etc that may have been done to get the performance on the skelli.

Edit: but then I think Vespas are unibody so you cant remove the panels completely right??
Thanks Manish for posting the photos - that's one radical Vespa that would turn heads even here in the UK where the range of scooter modifications is quite broad. I like this scooter very much and respect to it's owner for doing such a great job

Amol is quite correct however in pointing out that the Vespa shown is not a skelly - it is what we in the UK would call a 'cut - down'. Amol has summed up the ethos of a skelly beautifully. In theory, the way to convert a (large frame) Vespa to a skelly (as opposed to a cut down) would be to remove the sidepanels and mudguard.

Regards
Ed
Old 8th April 2011, 12:52   #666
BHPian

Hi all

Here's a sideways view to my skelly from a couple of years back when it was fully loaded with various 'period' (1970s) accessories and with my very good friend and fellow scooter nut, Mike on the back. This photo was taken at a National Scooter Rally here in Scarborough during a rainy Easter weekend.

Photo is reproduced courtesy of Classic Scooterist Scene Magazine (Classic Scooterist Scene Magazine)

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-01622.jpg  

Old 9th April 2011, 08:50   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Thank you m_upreti and Amol for your positive response to these - I was a little uncertain as to how people might react to these as they can be very much an acquired taste and the idea of removing all the bodywork that makes the scooter graceful can upset some people (I'm not joking!!!). Bala (Chanu) has already seen these so I knew I could rely on his support
If there is enough interest in this scooter style to warrant doing so, I'd be only too happy to start a new thread - what do you think guys?
Regards Ed
This would be a good idea, but we are still to reach a stage where we look to scooters beyond a basic utility to travel from A to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hi Ed and Amol,

Lovely pics, the colours are awsome.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:41   #668
BHPian

Here are Some Links and A Video related to Lambretta's I found recntly

Lambretta Rickshaws
Lambretta Club of Great Britain - Lambro
Lambretta Rickshaw Prototype

All About Lambrettas
Lambretta Club of Great Britain

Indian Lambretta Guide
The Indian Lambretta Guide

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7708308.stm

Last edited by Shreeram : 13th April 2011 at 21:42.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:45   #669
BHPian

Rally on the 17th of April

Hi all,
Attached some pictures of the Lambretta rally with the members of Deccan Lambretta Club, conducted on the 17th of April 2010.
We took a ride out for whole day starting from Nigdi till JM road, the route plan was as below;
Nigdi-Chinchwad-Pimpri-Aundh-Abhimanshri-Bavdhan-Chandni ChoWK-Kothrud Depot-Dahanukar Colony-Sahawas Society-Law college-FCRoad-Omkareshwar-JM road-Wakdewadi.

The club size has increased to about 10 now, including Li150s, Lambys and Vijais.
The total ride was for 75 KM’s with a memorable experience !!!

-Ilango (on behalf of Rakesh)
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-scoots.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn1445.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dlc-inox.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn1476.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn1449.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dlc-group-pose.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-2011-step.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dlc-happening.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-mg-road.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn1495.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-duckling.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 21st April 2011 at 16:48.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 16:54   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rally on the 17th of April

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi all,
Attached some pictures of the Lambretta rally with the members of Deccan Lambretta Club, conducted on the 17th of April 2010.
Good to see some action in Pune, the gathering of scoots look great. Infact I can see I must have passed you guys at some point on Sunday, I too was riding around in kalyani Nagar. Drop me a line next time round.

Ride Safe!
Old 21st April 2011, 16:59   #671
Senior - BHPian

A couple of pics of the lambretta sccoters clicked by me in UK. Some of them are really hideous having a lot of mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0230.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0231.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0232.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0233.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0234.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0235.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-photo0237.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2011, 09:50   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good to see some action in Pune, the gathering of scoots look great. Infact I can see I must have passed you guys at some point on Sunday, I too was riding around in kalyani Nagar. Drop me a line next time round.

Ride Safe!
Sure Karlos, will pass you a message while we plan for the next meet.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:49   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi all,
We took a ride out for whole day starting from Nigdi till JM road, the route plan was as below;
Nigdi-Chinchwad-Pimpri-Aundh-Abhimanshri-Bavdhan-Chandni ChoWK-Kothrud Depot-Dahanukar Colony-Sahawas Society-Law college-FCRoad-Omkareshwar-JM road-Wakdewadi.

The club size has increased to about 10 now, including Li150s, Lambys and Vijais.
The total ride was for 75 KM’s with a memorable experience !!!

-Ilango (on behalf of Rakesh)
Hey nice pics Ilango.. I missed it unfortunately. My trusted Vijay refused to march ahead while i was on my way to see you guys.. Fortunately i found an old mechanic just around the corner whose eyes lit up at the sight of my scooter. He spoke very affectionately about Vijai's and offerred his services to repair anything about it..
And the T Shirt looks pretty cool.. Next time i will be there..

Priyadarshan
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:55   #674
BHPian

Keep Us Informed Guys !!!! I would love to Join the Gang.
Infact I Just sold my Trusted Splendor Today. And so have planned to use My Lambretta Daily. Brought it to the Hotel Today.

A Man in Blazer riding a similar coloured Lambretta with a Helmet !!!!!!!!!!! Everybody was looking.. Got a by a Fellow at a signal too..
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:20   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
... And so have planned to use My Lambretta Daily. Brought it to the Hotel Today.

A Man in Blazer riding a similar coloured Lambretta with a Helmet !!!!!!!!!!! Everybody was looking.. Got a by a Fellow at a signal too..
Thats nice to hear. Some pictures please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks