Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 09:21   #811
BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
Some years back, that was when i started riding scooters and bikes, I tried out a relative's Bajaj, and that was the first time. Till then i was riding only Hero honda.
The hand gear was new, and i had no balance, more than that, i was very much excited. I took it for a ride with a cousin sitting at the back. The brake was totally different, i had to stand on it to make it stop.
I started the scooter and took it on the First Gear, it was all good.
Suddenly an auto comes in the middle. I had to stop the scooter, it stood on the brake and made it stop. but it skidded and i almost put the scooter down.
My cousin hit his Toe on the Auto and broke his nail.
The reason he gave me was the scooter doesnt have centrally mounted engine.
That was the last day i rode a scooter. And after 10 + years i am riding a Lamby, which has never given me balancing problems.
I am happy riding it in the city, traffic.
I am sure everyone would have this story in their life.

You are right Srini about Bajaj. They can be difficult during initial period. But i started riding my father's Super when i was 15 years old so i kinda got used to that balancing issue and now when i ride it, it happens naturally that my left arm becomes stronger to balance it. But yes, my personal favorite during those days was my grand father's Vijai Deluxe which was way more smoother and balanced.

And thanks for the price of the set. I am going to look for it here. Hope to get it.

Priyadarshan

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 13th October 2011 at 09:24. Reason: Added info.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:18   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was the last day i rode a scooter. And after 10 + years i am riding a Lamby, which has never given me balancing problems.
Bajaj always sported a side engine and so did LML, which they balanced with the spare tyre. Vijay Super on the other hand had a well balanced central engine.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:49   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some years back, that was when i started riding scooters and bikes, I tried out a relative's Bajaj, and that was the first time. Till then i was riding only Hero honda.
The hand gear was new, and i had no balance, more than that, i was very much excited. I took it for a ride with a cousin sitting at the back. The brake was totally different, i had to stand on it to make it stop.
I started the scooter and took it on the First Gear, it was all good.
Suddenly an auto comes in the middle. I had to stop the scooter, it stood on the brake and made it stop. but it skidded and i almost put the scooter down.
My cousin hit his Toe on the Auto and broke his nail.
This reminds me the days when I used to ride my dads 1964 Vespa, initial days I used to lean the scooter towards left side more than what it is required to balance the engine weight but later got the trick and started driving properly ( dad caught me once driving till then he thought the scooter is moved out of it's place because mom wanted to clean the room where it was kept but later granted me to drive as he saw me driving well while he was coming from office)

Now coming to the balance part I don't think a spare wheel can substitute the weight of engine completely and I partially agree to the fact that engine weight is felt while driving but that is when in learning stage or when the rear tyre is worn out excessively but . Breaking is not as effective as Lambrettas which I agree and later Bajaj came out with similar breaking pedal like in LML to bring better breaking for its consumers.
Old 15th October 2011, 00:41   #814
BHPian

Hello All,

Recently i got hold of some spares for lambretta / vijay from a spare parts guy, who wanted to get rid of the whole lot he had. I am not much of an expert yet so i hope the experts here will help me to identify what exactly each part is and where does it fit. The owner said that he might have some more stuff buried deep inside so i will go to him again after some time to convince him. Here are the pics. Help!!

Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00476.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00477.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00479.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00480.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00481.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00482.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-copy-dsc00483.jpg  

Attached Images

priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 09:02   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hello All,

Recently i got hold of some spares for lambretta / vijay from a spare parts guy, who wanted to get rid of the whole lot he had. I am not much of an expert yet so i hope the experts here will help me to identify what exactly each part is and where does it fit. The owner said that he might have some more stuff buried deep inside so i will go to him again after some time to convince him. Here are the pics. Help!!

Priyadarshan
Good find man, Please do let me know while you meet him the next time. I need to stock some for my scooter as well. Is that all you procured from him or just samples of multiple items. Asking because for example i see only one of the swing arms, the left side fork swing arm is missing. Anyways lets go meet him once.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:24   #816
BHPian

Hi guys, Happened to scavenge a spare part shop in my neighborhood. He had NOS parts for Vijay, Rajdoot, Jawa & what not. Do PM me if you need parts. Can check with him regarding the availability. Lambretta & Cento badges, Spedo drives, Mudguard for cento & Vijai (fixed type), Brake levers, Brake cable slack adjusters, Gearbox breather nut, level nut, kick start piston, sick lefer, Clutch actuation shaft, clutch plate retainer clips, clutch bell lock washer, Vijai tail light lens & many more were found. Can help with bearings & oil seals as well.
The part that I couldnt digest was that the owner's son had disposed off about 10 floor mats of Vijais, for nothing.

Last edited by ilangop : 16th October 2011 at 01:29.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:06   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Good find man, Please do let me know while you meet him the next time. I need to stock some for my scooter as well. Is that all you procured from him or just samples of multiple items. Asking because for example i see only one of the swing arms, the left side fork swing arm is missing. Anyways lets go meet him once.
Hi,

This was most of the stuff.. I got additional quantities for small items like nuts and springs and races. But major items are as i have shown. I am not sure how many items he has remaining now. Will go and Check with him again. What i have not added here is Vijay's tail lamp assembly. Which is supposed to be an unused one but it has some scratches and the plastic also seems to be of inferior quality.

Quote:
Hi guys, Happened to scavenge a spare part shop in my neighborhood. He had NOS parts for Vijay, Rajdoot, Jawa & what not. Do PM me if you need parts. Can check with him regarding the availability. Lambretta & Cento badges, Spedo drives, Mudguard for cento & Vijai (fixed type), Brake levers, Brake cable slack adjusters, Gearbox breather nut, level nut, kick start piston, sick lefer, Clutch actuation shaft, clutch plate retainer clips, clutch bell lock washer, Vijai tail light lens & many more were found. Can help with bearings & oil seals as well.
The part that I couldnt digest was that the owner's son had disposed off about 10 floor mats of Vijais, for nothing.
Lets go and collect stuff from both of the guys. I will probably have all evenings free from tuesday to friday. Any chance that you will be available?

Priyadarshan
Old 16th October 2011, 22:47   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Lets go and collect stuff from both of the guys. I will probably have all evenings free from tuesday to friday. Any chance that you will be available?
Priyadarshan
Sorry ti disappoint you dude. We are leraving for Diwali on Wednesday & will be back by 1st Nov. Going home after 6 months.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:56   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry ti disappoint you dude. We are leraving for Diwali on Wednesday & will be back by 1st Nov. Going home after 6 months.

Oh thats alright.. Going home is more important.. Spares can definately wait. Enjoy your vacation.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:05   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Oh thats alright.. Going home is more important.. Spares can definately wait. Enjoy your vacation.
Thanks man, No worries about those parts. No one else is going to grab them, but us. Neither he has other customers who are interested on those stuff.
Old 17th October 2011, 22:25   #821

Quote:
Dear ILANGOP,
I Have a VIJAY SUPER (1986) Scooter. Can you inform me if any of the following are available in PUNE 1) Speedometer with cable set. 2) Petrol Tank Lid ( the outer lid) 3)Head Light Assembly. 4) Cable Set .
Thanking You BABU RAO
Old 18th October 2011, 08:50   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU RAO View Post
Dear ILANGOP,
I Have a VIJAY SUPER (1986) Scooter. Can you inform me if any of the following are available in PUNE 1) Speedometer with cable set. 2) Petrol Tank Lid ( the outer lid) 3)Head Light Assembly. 4) Cable Set .
Thanking You BABU RAO
Hi Babu Rao,
Glad to hear about your Vijai Super, & welcome to this forum. Hope yours is a Mark - II. I think, you can get everything other than the speedometer in Pune or in Tamilnadu. For the speedometer, our friends from Bangalore will be able to help you out. How far is Coimbatore or Madurai from your place? NOS Lambretta parts are available in Coimbatore as well.
We would like to see the pictures of your scooter here. Please do upload some of them.
Regards,
Ilango.
Old 27th October 2011, 23:22   #823
BHPian

Guys, Im looking for a MAC175 fork assembly or at least the shocks. Also on a look out for the speedo for the same. Please do let me know if you have any leads.
Old 28th October 2011, 13:15   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Guys, Im looking for a MAC175 fork assembly or at least the shocks. Also on a look out for the speedo for the same. Please do let me know if you have any leads.
I have seen 2 Mac's junking here in pune. I was not much interested so dint enquire. Will find out and let you know. atleast you can use the spares.

Regards
Shreeram
Old 30th October 2011, 16:08   #825
BHPian

Hi Guys

Some Indian machines at Bridlington Scooter Rally here in the UK yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-021-800x600.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-019-1024x768.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com