Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 16:44   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
A snap of my Lamby under restoration.
I guess you meant Lambretta? as it looks more like one from the shape/badges etc.
Old 24th June 2012, 17:36   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I guess you meant Lambretta? as it looks more like one from the shape/badges etc.
This one was given to me by my father in law. It's a 71 model and it had the API Lamby 150 emblems on it. I'm not sure whether it's a lamby or lambretta.Now, it's me, who had fixed the badges of the lambretta.
Old 24th June 2012, 18:31   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
This one was given to me by my father in law. It's a 71 model and it had the API Lamby 150 emblems on it. I'm not sure whether it's a lamby or lambretta.Now, it's me, who had fixed the badges of the lambretta.
Well if its a '71 model then it indeed is a Lambretta maybe fitted with Lamby badges later. Does it have the bulbous side-panels with locking handles btw?
Old 18th July 2012, 14:02   #874
BHPian

I got Lambretta Cento today to accompany my 2 LI 150s and 1 GP150(Vijay Super)
Scooter is in total bad state and thrown in garbage by owner for last 3-4 years.I pulled it with the help of Society's watchman from the dumping ground today morning.He was happy to extend his help.

It was like 'Cento two feet under' just like the movie Manorama six feet under!

I clicked snaps with my mobile camera and apologize for bad quality but can not resist my temptation to show you this scoot.It is not even washed,engine is completely filled up with mud and now requires hell lot of efforts to start it now.I just removed the mud on it,it was completely covered with mud,leaves,frogs in hibernation.Surprisingly,not much rust on it.The body is in good shape thankfully.

The Horncast is not like normal cento which I have seen in other posts of Lambyman and some other members.Girishpv has similar model like the one which I have posted.

Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img00166201207141710.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img00167201207141710.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img00168201207141710.jpg  

siddharthp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 16:09   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. When do you plan to restore her and bring her back on road? BTWm howz your Vijai doing?
-Ilango
Old 18th July 2012, 19:17   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
Scooter is in total bad state and thrown in garbage by owner for last 3-4 years.I pulled it with the help of Society's watchman from the dumping ground today morning.He was happy to extend his help.

It was like 'Cento two feet under' just like the movie Manorama six feet under!

I clicked snaps with my mobile camera and apologize for bad quality but can not resist my temptation to show you this scoot.It is not even washed,engine is completely filled up with mud and now requires hell lot of efforts to start it now.I just removed the mud on it,it was completely covered with mud,leaves,frogs in hibernation.Surprisingly,not much rust on it.The body is in good shape thankfully.

The Horncast is not like normal cento which I have seen in other posts of Lambyman and some other members.Girishpv has similar model like the one which I have posted.

Have a look.

Man thats awesome.. Whatever gave you the idea to look under garbage?? Congratulations. It doesnt look that bad considering what its been through. What about the owner? Is he just too happy to part with it?

Priyadarshan
Old 19th July 2012, 12:02   #877
BHPian

Seeing the MUD Marks on the scooter i can imagine in what state the scoot must be.. Burried Slant into the ground..
Old 19th July 2012, 14:19   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

What I find really remarkable is how well preserved and intact the bike is, for an abandoned scoot. Paint is original? If so, I do suggest you try preserving it for a while. Focus on the mechanicals first, the patinated look just might grow on you.
Old 20th July 2012, 09:41   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Man thats awesome.. Whatever gave you the idea to look under garbage?? Congratulations. It doesnt look that bad considering what its been through. What about the owner? Is he just too happy to part with it?

Priyadarshan
I have developed my Olfactory receptor cells very well it seems. I was on casual drive one day and spotted(Should I say smelled!) one society and thought of checking my luck there.I saw wonderful Lambretta maintained really well but watchman warned me not to ask the owner if he wants to part with this scooter.(Or face the dire consequences!!)

However,I just thought of meeting this gentlemen who offered me this Cento.He was not even aware that his Cento was so much burried in the mud on one side.(You will get idea from picture where mud marks are still there!)Body line is still pretty well.

I am looking for LD now

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What I find really remarkable is how well preserved and intact the bike is, for an abandoned scoot. Paint is original? If so, I do suggest you try preserving it for a while. Focus on the mechanicals first, the patinated look just might grow on you.
Absolutely well preserved after so much abuse! The metal parts are really in good condition.May need some denting as it was in slanting position for more than 6 years.Paint is original hence I will keep it for some time as you said rightly.I am currently working on my other Lambrettas and Vijay and then only start with Cento work.The engine,gears,Accelerator is filled with mud and not moving an inch,but repairable definitely.

Last edited by siddharthp : 20th July 2012 at 09:44. Reason: Changes in sentence
Old 25th July 2012, 22:44   #880
BHPian

Hey guys, I'll be restoring a scooter soon... Planning to paint it a non-metallic shade, which will probably have to be mixed to get it precisely correct. I was last time disappointed with the look of the paint job done. It was not reflective enough, looked too opaque. It looked just a bit like what we call "cupboard colours", referring to the paints used on steel tables, cupboards etc in old government offices! I need a paint that looks really shiny, and juicy, if that makes any sense at all :-)
I don't know what paint the painter used... I get the feeling he's not being honest with me. So what's the best quality paint out there available in a good variety of shades? Non-metallic.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:57   #881
BHPian

My Lambretta and a series 1 Replica
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn0956.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dscn1598.jpg  

sanjeevkanjoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 22:03   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinsaan View Post
Hey guys, I'll be restoring a scooter soon... Planning to paint it a non-metallic shade, which will probably have to be mixed to get it precisely correct. I was last time disappointed with the look of the paint job done. It was not reflective enough, looked too opaque. It looked just a bit like what we call "cupboard colours", referring to the paints used on steel tables, cupboards etc in old government offices! I need a paint that looks really shiny, and juicy, if that makes any sense at all :-)
I don't know what paint the painter used... I get the feeling he's not being honest with me. So what's the best quality paint out there available in a good variety of shades? Non-metallic.
I used Dupont 2K paint. If you have the money, go for "heat painting". They paint the parts and then bake them in an oven type thing. The finish is really shiny and very durable.
Old 25th September 2012, 00:47   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I used Dupont 2K paint. If you have the money, go for "heat painting". They paint the parts and then bake them in an oven type thing. The finish is really shiny and very durable.
A small correction Sid !!
Dupont is brand name of 3M & it is PU based paint { PU= . polyurethane}, unlike ICI's Duco paint , Duco is a NC based paint { N C => Nitro Cellulose}

You have millions of shades in PU based paints, both METTALIC & OPAQUE (non-metallic)
Generally , PU paints are more durable & glossy than NC paints, Even it doesn't require ,Post painting procedures like , Rubbing & Polishing
but there are multiple post painting procedures are implied to further enhance the life & shine of the paint!!
*Dupont is 3M 's product, whereas 2K is ICI's PU paint ( even there are various players in this field like " Asian paints PPG", MRF's PU..etc..
PU paints are expensive than NC paints !!!
Dupont & 2K are equally good in PU category
* regarding baking & stuff:> Yes !! there is in PU based ones....but the hardener ( a agitator ) is different, but this is not done @ after painting shops ( Baking Booths & methods are bit expensive )
** Hence generally a decent paint job can be done with any one of the PU paint brands(Dupont or 2K) in India , at clean dust proof set up !!
Cheers!!
KMK
powertwin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 22:45   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Yes Shyam, I am going to get it polished. I dint try to straighten the key, i am afraid it will break. So thought its better to keep it the way it is.
and yes Its a 69'
Our reletives at mahim used to supply this tool kits to API in those days as O.E. they had a small unit in mahim by name JJ Mechanical Works.these were two sikh brothers.Later when API closed they too closed the unit .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 23:29   #885
BHPian

Guys need a two coil Ducati stator plate for my father's 1960 Lambretta Li150 Series II.
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-lambretta.jpg
Can any body help me out?

(image got from ebay and for representation purpose only)

Most Viewed