Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here-62.html)

In my childhood I had heard an interesting story on how Lambretta brand came to India. If my memory is right, this was narrated by the Lambretta dealer in Mangalore to my dad when they were having a casual chat during one of the service visits of our scooter.

Disclaimer: I have no proof of authenticity of this story.

Sometime after independence, M.A. Chidambaram of API (Automobile Products of India) wanted to bring scooter manufacturing to India. He travelled to Italy with the hope of acquiring the right to manufacture Vespa scooters in India under license. However, he was given a cold shoulder by the Vespa management. He was sad/depressed/disappointed by this and went to a bar there and trying to drown the disappointment with drinks. The bartender noticed this and enquired him the reason. When MAC told the bartender that he had come from India to Italy with lot of hopes to start a scooter manufacturing unit in India and now all his hopes had been dashed by the Vespa management. Hearing this, the bartender told him that they had another scooter manufacturer in Italy and giving him the address of the manufacturer asked him to try his luck there. Thus Lambretta came to India.

PS: I had been thinking about putting this on team-bhp since a long time, and every time I felt like "ajji kathe" (in Kannada which literally translates to "grandma stories") and stopped myself. Finally I decided to register this story with a disclaimer :)

Picture from Instagram

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-lambretta.jpg

Gentlemen,

I have acquired a 1964 Lambretta recently. Its not in great shape, and much of it, I suspect, is not original. However, given that Lambretta are not easily available, and this one has correct documentation (chassis and engine numbers are matching the book :D)

I intend to start the restoration process in the coming days. I will look forward to guidance and support from this group.

What should be started first - the body restoration or the mechanical restoration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrat (Post 4698878)
Gentlemen,

I have acquired a 1964 Lambretta recently. Its not in great shape, and much of it, I suspect, is not original. However, given that Lambretta are not easily available, and this one has correct documentation (chassis and engine numbers are matching the book :D)

I intend to start the restoration process in the coming days. I will look forward to guidance and support from this group.

What should be started first - the body restoration or the mechanical restoration?

Given that a total restoration of the lambertta would involve both the mechanical and body work, would suggest that you first make a list of all the spares required, mechanical and cosmetic.

Cosmetic spares of this scooter are a little hard to come by. Would be better if you make a list of all the parts required first hand and then start the project. Spares are quite easy to come by, if you know the right contacts.
Look in Delhi, you will find a lot of people dealing in these spares.

Make a list, accumulate all the spares, strip the bike down, get the body work done and then start on the mechanical aspect.
This would ensure that by the time the paint is done on the scooter, you would be done with the mechanics.

But do remember to make a list first. Lots of projects, bikes and cars, have been abondened or stopped due to no spares or difficulty in finding them.

Quote:

Gentlemen,

Congratulations Gowtham. Glad to see you join the scootering league. As Khan has mentioned, it is good to prepare a list of jobs to be attended to. Get it mechanically fit and then go for the cosmetics & paint job. Man you have restored Fiats and you know the process better. All the best.

-Ilango

Quote:

Gentlemen,

I have acquired a 1964 Lambretta recently. ...

I intend to start the restoration process in the coming days.

Any update on the restoration? Can you share some pics?

Hi guys. I request help from all my fellow BHPians from Kerala and out. If anyone has or spots a Lambretta (not Lamby) with number KLV 5644, can you please reply. I just want to see it. Thanks guys :)