Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 17:31   #181
BHPian

Friends, got one funky idea. Thinking of buying a Lambretta/vijai super engine; renovating it with the SIL Vikram 200CC 2-stroke bore, piston, engine bearings, Electronic ignition stator plate from Vikram, and the flywheel with self-starter. Once the bench tests prove good I would gladly mount the engine to the scooter you see in the left, feel the beast churning more power on road. Could anyone around Pune help me find an engine, scrap condition would also do.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:07   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Friends, got one funky idea. Thinking of buying a Lambretta/vijai super engine; renovating it with the SIL Vikram 200CC 2-stroke bore, piston, engine bearings, Electronic ignition stator plate from Vikram, and the flywheel with self-starter. Once the bench tests prove good I would gladly mount the engine to the scooter you see in the left, feel the beast churning more power on road. Could anyone around Pune help me find an engine, scrap condition would also do.
Modding a Vijai Super should have a lot of possibilities. Do keep us posted on your progress. If you are changing the cubic capacity of a vehicle, I'm guessing the same needs to be endorsed/mentioned in your registration book?
Old 29th December 2008, 22:27   #183
BHPian

Mac 175s

The MAC 175S was a short-lived variation of the Lambretta LI 150 Series 2 from the API stable . It featured a 175 cc engine. It was the Indian version of Innocenti's TV 175. API manufactured a small number of these, I'm not sure exactly when it was launched in the 70's. These scooters are very rare, and I was fortunate to see one of them in the flesh (or metal) recently. It was lying unused for 10 years, and was stored next to a construction site, so there is hardened cement on some body parts. It was recently acquired (free!) by a friend of my mechanic, who plans to restore it. I enquired if its for sale, but the scooter has some emotional attachments, because it belonged to someone's deceased father. So it will remain with my mechanic's friend.
This scooter, though in bad shape is still a runner!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00805.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00806.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00807.jpg  

Old 29th December 2008, 23:00   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mac 175 brings back lovely memories to me sidman. The engine cover panels had the black strips with a Mac 175 logo.It was launched sometime in 1974 if I'm not mistaken and was discontinued after two/three years
Old 4th January 2009, 20:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this Lambretta almost next door

Here are the pics

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008374.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008375.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008376.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008377.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008378.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008379.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008380.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008381.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008382.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2009 at 09:19.
Old 5th January 2009, 22:39   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I spotted this Lambretta almost next door
Here are the pics
Not sure when MMA series vehicles were registered. But I have a couple of observations to make...is it just me, or does it look like the left legshield (on which the regn no. is painted) is warped/bent? See the 3rd pic closely. Also, the mudguard is not original. This bike looks like its been in an accident, and not repaired well.
Anyone can identify the knob sticking out through the right side engine cover/shield? Never seen one of these modifications before.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-30112008378.jpg  

Old 5th January 2009, 22:57   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Not sure when MMA series vehicles were registered. But I have a couple of observations to make...is it just me, or does it look like the left legshield (on which the regn no. is painted) is warped/bent? See the 3rd pic closely. Also, the mudguard is not original. This bike looks like its been in an accident, and not repaired well.
Anyone can identify the knob sticking out through the right side engine cover/shield? Never seen one of these modifications before.
MMA is a 2 wheeler 1974-75 series, when the MMB was concurrently being used to register motor cars (LMV's) in Mumbai. The tail light cover is plasticky and black. These were metallic till 1970. Then came the white plastic ones (used to get yellow upon weather exposure) and later by the mid-1970's came these black ones. The MMA Lambretta's fuel cock and choke lever are black. The black plastic levers came around 1970 or so, replacing the silver coloured metal (aluminium) ones.The light/horn regulator/switch housing in chrome is not original as the horn switches used to be of black plastic, that gave way soon. They were replaced by after market ones, where the horn switch is in metal and is telescopic as fitted here. the stepney bracket is also not original.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th January 2009 at 23:01.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:43   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Modding a Vijai Super should have a lot of possibilities. Do keep us posted on your progress. If you are changing the cubic capacity of a vehicle, I'm guessing the same needs to be endorsed/mentioned in your registration book?
Wish u a Happy new year 2009.
Yes Sid,
The modification needs to be endorsed. But buying an engine from the scrap market, I would not be having a bill or any legal proof for owning the engine. In the last year I had an opprotunity to stay in Bangalore for about a months time during which I came across shops which sell al most all engine spares for Vijai Super and Lambretta. COnsidering the legal issues behind this project I would rather renovate the existing engine than replacing the whole.
Hope I would buy all the engine bearings, and seals during my next visit there. Also the existing vehicle is doing fine with an economy of about 28Kmpl. And who looks for economy in a vintage vehicle. I prefer to stock a set of psres for future use.
Tthanks and regards,
Old 7th January 2009, 15:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

We have a family history of a Lamby & Vijay Supers

My Father owned a sky blue Vijay Super, bought in 1980 at a royal sum of 7500 Rs.

An excellent scooter gave us trouble free ride in and around the roads of Nainital. We even took it to our native village in the Himalayas about 175 Km from Nainital, the lat bit of 30 Kms on a dirt track.

It never stopped or gave any trouble, and my father sold it for 8000 Rs in 1991 & the 2nd owner can still be seen driving it in Nainital.

I learnt my two wheeler riding on this magnificiant machine, at 150 cc it gave the Bajaj Priyas a run for its money.

My Maternal grandfather owned a Lamby which he rode for donkey years & passed on to one of my uncles who keeps it as a souvinear till date.

One of my uncles had a Vijay Super (green) and another one a Vijay Delux (it was a later version without decals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Any Vijai Super lovers here? After all its a Lamberetta too - just a later version which went like stink (for those days, I mean).
Old 8th January 2009, 04:50   #190
BHPian

Sidman: That knob probably an extra precaution to keep the shield shut tighter?

Last edited by TuffRyder : 8th January 2009 at 04:54.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:04   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
One of my uncles had a Vijay Super (green) and another one a Vijay Delux (it was a later version without decals)
I thought the deluxe came before the Super?? I have a book "THE INDIAN LAMBRETTA GUIDE" that mentions the following line-up:

Vijai Deluxe (this was said to have some quality issues)
Vijai Falcon
Vijai Super
Vijai Super mark II (I had one)
Vijai Grand Prix 150
Old 8th January 2009, 15:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hi, you are right, I checked my uncle brought the Vijay Delux second hand, though it was in a mint condition.

Vijay Super Mark II was owned by another uncle of mine who sold it & replaced it with a Red lambretta/ lamby which looked like a close cousin to Bajaj Priya, but it was a real bad scooter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I thought the deluxe came before the Super?? I have a book "THE INDIAN LAMBRETTA GUIDE" that mentions the following line-up:

Vijai Deluxe (this was said to have some quality issues)
Vijai Falcon
Vijai Super
Vijai Super mark II (I had one)
Vijai Grand Prix 150
Old 10th January 2009, 01:00   #193
BHPian

Just came across this website. Any of you guys know about them? They are based out of delhi and seem to have some good spares for the scooters.

lambretta parts manufacturer, lambretta scooters, lambretta spare parts,GP 200cc, Gp 125cc,piaggio three wheelers, lambretta sidecars, scooter parts, vespa scooters parts exporters - Kohli Auto india

-pat-
Old 10th January 2009, 09:24   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Just came across this website. Any of you guys know about them? They are based out of delhi and seem to have some good spares for the scooters.
I did contact them once by email. No response from them!
Old 10th January 2009, 22:55   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I did contact them once by email. No response from them!
Probably they are wholesalers or just interested in selling their stuff to the "outsiders." I have come across quite a few Indian scooter restorers, who just wouldn't want to interact if they know ur a local, I mean an Indian.

Last edited by v12 : 11th January 2009 at 13:40.

Most Viewed