Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 09:56   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are a couple of early Lambrettas seen in the tamil movie "Uthiravindri Ulle vaa", a 1960 series 2 (seems to be same colour combo as mine! )

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_3075.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_3077.jpg

and a mk1 LD. A lot of Lambrettas can be seen in this movie.

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_3120.jpg

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_3121.jpg
Old 8th June 2009, 21:14   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Aaah...the Coimbatore "Lamby autos" I presume? I'm glad someone photo'd them!

These aren't technically Italian-based (which were caled the Lambro and a rather different shape) but coach-built on the chassis/front part made by KAL (Kerala Automobiles Ltd.)
No,Stanher: These Lambretta Autorickshaws or Tuk Tuk 's was manufactured by same old company API ( M/S Auto Parts India),yes the same company who brought Lambrettas,Laxmi 48s, Lambys,Mac 175s, Lamby polo s & many more Automobile parts like, Brake parts, Clutch parts etc.,
The Three wheelars featured in here are " Lamby 175 cc front engine Auto rickshaws".
Though API was manufacturing the Full Vechile, Our Intelligent Indian 3W consumer,went on to have the machine without rear body & the Soft canopy as in heavy vechicles with a huge discount in the invoice price.
And went on to Fabricate the Strong Indian Bodies.
&The body with some extra width,designed to accomodate few electric motors & wet grinders with human beings was known as Coimbatore Body Autos.
Now about that" No,stanher": Kerala Automobiles Ltd" has nothing to do with Lambretta Auto Ricks, this was a differant company,based at Kerala and they gained popularity at their state and I doubt,wether they had a petrol engine Autos ,for sure they are famous for Diesel powered Autos.

ps: most Body fabricaters ( metal artisans) are from the "God's Own Country" ( KERALA)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th June 2009 at 10:13.
Old 9th June 2009, 23:53   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Here is 1961 Lambretta Li 150, recently acquired from Chennai.
Its a single owner scooter.

THANK you very much Shyam......for the help

All the inspiration I got from this forum, after seeing Shyam and SA7VA5 scooter restoration works.....great to be here
Good lamby my friend. May our tribe increase!!
Old 10th June 2009, 00:01   #244
BHPian

Thanks Dussey....

One more (1968) is getting ready in Coimbatore, but no photo's yet, its been long time waiting to get it finished.

Would like to add an Series 1 or an LD, but everything is very expensive......
Old 10th June 2009, 15:58   #245
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone remember if this tail light belongs to lambretta LD model ? I was searching for tail light and found this one is closure to my need. However the shop which sold me this tail light indicated this one as Lambretta part, is that true?

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-image009.jpg
Old 10th June 2009, 17:26   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt if it's a lambretta part. The LD lights certainly aren't like this.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:43   #247
BHPian

My dad is still die-hard fan of Labretta. His first scooter ever was a cream Labretta but unfortunately its registeration number was '420' and his friends used to call him that all the time.

Its not in our garage anymore but he still talks about it whenever given a chance!
Old 11th June 2009, 12:11   #248
BHPian

Lambretta tail light

Nope Tramway this is NOT the original LD Tail Light. The original one had a much bigger chrome ring aroundit a smaller red lens. There was also a white lends embedded in the LD tail light that used to throw light on the rear number plate.

There were some mods available in those days as accessories with 2 indicators as well but this is definitely not the light though quite close to it.

This can perpahs be used in place of a Rajdoot Bobby tail light as a slighly different one as it doesnt match the Bobby spec too.

I have a LD Tail light re-chromed and ready to go back on my machine. If you want will send you pics.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 11th June 2009, 15:55   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
No,Stanher: These Lambretta Autorickshaws or Tuk Tuk 's was manufactured by same old company API ( M/S Auto Parts India), this was a differant company,based at Kerala and they gained popularity at their state and I doubt,wether they had a petrol engine Autos ,for sure they are famous for Diesel powered Autos.
I've got a book "The Indian Lambretta guide" that clearly mentions that KAL did buy the chassis and tooling of the Lamby autos and manufacture them...those even have a KAL logo on the front, with a picture shown in said book.
And btw, API was AUTOMOBILE PRODUCTS of India although you could say that in recent years their name should've as well been changed to Auto Parts India, as the only sign of them I've seen is on the spare parts made by them for various automobiles!
Old 11th June 2009, 17:23   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Is anyone remember if this tail light belongs to lambretta LD model ? I was searching for tail light and found this one is closure to my need. However the shop which sold me this tail light indicated this one as Lambretta part, is that true?

Attachment 146488
This tail lamp belongs to the infamous 'Lamby' Autorickshaw. we used to have plenty of these running around here. One can still spot them here and there.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:12   #251
BHPian

My new Vijai Super mark - I

Hi all,
After months of hunting I found this Vijai Super for myself. Took possession of this scooter yesterday. Will do the registeration renewal and name transfer in the coming week. The agent said that it really does'nt require a coat of paint, just for renewal purpose. So I can peacefully start the reconditioning work, ones the scooter is legally into my hands.

The previous owner has collected some spares like an magneto + coil, front suspension springs, arms, rods, balls, & bushes, a spare steering lock, and a few rubber parts. The side decals, and the horn grill are at home. Due to rusting, the screws for the horngrill gave away and still its remians can be found in the horn cast. It originally was in shell-white, later he had painted it white & blue-green. I want it back to its original colour.

The carburettor, clutch plates and the muffler need some immediate attention for the purpose of improved drivability. Rear brakes ate just ok. The speedometer lens is totaly blurred, he says that it workd. Have to check, no cable connected.

Need some tinkering work on the front panel and mud guard. If possible I intend to change its looks to that of a Mark II if I succeed in finding a movable mudguard. He had lost the rear side bumpers while he had left the scooter for painting. Will search for one, else get one done from a good fabricator, and get it painted. The seats are from Bajaj, even he has no idea about the original seats. Would like to have the original ones.

Attached the pics of the ones I had bought (the white & blue-green) at Pune, and the one at home (Neyveli).
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-vijaisuper.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01948_1.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01949_1.jpg  

Old 11th June 2009, 19:41   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi all,
After months of hunting I found this Vijai Super for myself. Took possession of this scooter yesterday.
Need some tinkering work on the front panel and mud guard. If possible I intend to change its looks to that of a Mark II if I succeed in finding a movable mudguard.
Congrats on your acquisition!

'looks like a well-used one....but definitely restorable. Cosmetic parts for this can still be sourced locally.
Regarding rear-side bumpers, do you mean the rail that comes at the rear like this:

I have one, originally belonged on my first Vijai Super, lying at home. You can have it if you want as I don't really intend to use it.

BTW, why do you want to convert it to a mk2, especially since you already have one? I would suggest retaining this as a mk1, as it makes a good balance of having both the models.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:29   #253
BHPian

Thank you Stanher.
Here at Pune it is really very difficult to find spares for the scooter. I need to depend on my friends from Bangalore or hunt them from Trichy / Chennai. The one is the picture looks many times batter than mine.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:30   #254
octaneoverdose

Is it possible to convert a vijai super to a gp 200 by changing only the cylinder block and piston? Veterans please advise

Old 12th June 2009, 21:11   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I've got a book "The Indian Lambretta guide" that clearly mentions that KAL did buy the chassis and tooling of the Lamby autos and manufacture them...those even have a KAL logo on the front, with a picture shown in said book.
And btw, API was AUTOMOBILE PRODUCTS of India although you could say that in recent years their name should've as well been changed to Auto Parts India, as the only sign of them I've seen is on the spare parts made by them for various automobiles!
Sorry, it is "Automobile Products of India", though it doesn't manufacture scooters, rickshaws etc., the company has diversified to various fields other than Automobiles.
But,plz go through that book : KAL ( Kerala Automobiles) would have purchased the "Tooling of chassis" from API, not the chassis design. or the chassis itself.Yes, we agree, there is a "KAL" logo on every Kerala Automobiles 3 wheelers, not in Lamby Autorickshaws.
Every Lamby Auto carries a logo API

ps: @ Non- tech members : Tooling is ies & Fixtures for fabricating.
pps: And KAL 3 W's Chassis differ quiet a lot in the design, when comparing to the API machine
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sdc11416.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-sdc11417.jpg  

Most Viewed