Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 23:06   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi lambrttacollect,

Plse. answer my earlier query- do u have/know of any '59 s1 or '60 s2 for sale at present?
Old 27th March 2008, 23:10   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetv175 View Post
hi every body Shane here living in ireland have a allwyn pushpak that I am restoring but need a speedo and horn castle badge for same the badge looks like a scooter with the letters apsl and speedo has allwyn pushpak on it anybody know where i might find one
I had an Allwyn Pushpak speedo lying with me at home, although it was not in exceptionally good shape, the top cover was missing and the dial was partly ruined by water/sunlight that must have entered. But it was very complete with the scooter logo & the Patancheru (Hyderabad) name mentioned on it.
'will go hunt & see if its still there!
Old 31st March 2008, 14:17   #93

chers lads i think i got sorted on does few bits thanks again
Old 31st March 2008, 16:00   #94
BHPian

I love lambretta, but do not own one. My grandpa had a Vijay super in which i learnt riding.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:16   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad used to ride a Lambretta for over 20 years and he never used to trade it for any new vehicle and like a moron i sold it away after he was no more

I had some of the most fun days while riding a lamby, pushing it when petrol got over, pushing it to get the puncture repaired, those were some days
Old 1st April 2008, 00:27   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd earlier posted about this forlorn lambretta rusting in pieces at a friend's place:

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0198ka7.jpg

Good news is this scoot has finally been rescued! 'was bought by my friend Mr. Rashid Mody who had it loaded onto a rickshaw & took it home only yesterday evening. They are yet to find the RC book though, which they said they'd hand over as soon as they find it at home.
'took 4 of us to haul the thing up from its hibernation place. The rickshaw-wala nearly passed out when he found how heavy it was!
Unfortunately having trouble uploading pics...will try later.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh...Memories !

Stanher,
Your post brings back a lot of pleasant memories !
My dad,an army officer, had a Lambretta which he purchsed from the army canteen after a two year wait after booking it. It was with him from 1972 (in Srinagar) to 1980 (in Bangalore). I learnt my basics riding on it.First going down a slope in my house on the driveway and then gingerly starting it and going round the block in Bangalore - all in the first gear ! This was in the 7th standard.License be damned !
Was a well balanced scooter - never a spot of bother with it. Sometimes used to curse the poor thing when one of the tyres used to get punctured and it fell on me to puch it to the nearest tyre shop. Dad, God bless his departed soul, never felt he had a spare tyre and it could be changed and just the tyre could be taken to the shop. It was more bothersome to change the tyre than wheel it to the tyrewallah, which was a good pushing disctance from Domlur where we stayed to the shop which was on Airport road opposite the old NGEF factory near the Chesire home. That was the time when I really felt how heavy the beast was - especially with an incline on the way.
Mechanically a great two wheeler. Life moves on and the old faithful was sold and a new Vijai and a Bajaj Priya came to our stable ! But have always missed the good ol' Lambretta !
Here are snaps of some real ol' Lambrettas from the 2007 Vintage Rally in Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01958.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01897.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc01898.jpg  

Old 29th April 2008, 22:08   #98

Hi! My name is Tony and I'm in the UK. I'm currently putting together a 1959 Lambretta series 1 and need a front mudguard for it. The mudguard that I want is not the original type but an Allwyn Pushpak Bajaj type turning mudguard as used on their lambretta range. Pictures of the mudguard that I want are below and there is a picture of my series 1 in its current state. The current mudguard that is on there is an old vespa one which does not fit and would take a lot of work to make it fit. The original legsheilds are quite rotten and the ones used are from a Spanish series 2 lambretta which would of had a turning mudguard so these do not have the lower brackets to fit the original mudguard. If any one can help me get one of these mudguards I would be very grateful .
Thanks in advance, Tony

Old 5th May 2008, 23:19   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Stanher,
Your post brings back a lot of pleasant memories !
Mechanically a great two wheeler. Life moves on and the old faithful was sold and a new Vijai and a Bajaj Priya came to our stable ! But have always missed the good ol' Lambretta !
Here are snaps of some real ol' Lambrettas from the 2007 Vintage Rally in Mumbai.
HG, firstly, apologies for the late response, visiting this thread only today after my last visit! 'should visit more often!
That was an awesome narrative!

Any pics. of your lambretta and/or Vijai? I like the latter too, as it was my first scooter, learnt 2-wheeler driving on it! But yes more fond of the good ol' Lambretta! Especially the early models (nice pics.!)

Tony, your series 1 looks quite good (atleast to me!), despite how rotten it might've otherwise been! But if I might ask, why fit a spanish legshield anyways?
I'm sure youve got access to Italian series 1/2 legshields/body-panels over there in the UK?
Old 13th May 2008, 17:30   #100
BHPian

Disappointed...

When I was in college (1996-2001), I used my dad's '71 LI-150. However, due to overstrain on my back and wrist, had to go in for a 100cc. Wanted to keep the scooter, but dad would have none of it. A collector bought it for 2.5K. So my education finished, and I started working. My dream was to buy a Lambretta and have it restored. Over the last couple of months, here's what I found:
You will have an extremely tough time finding this bike. Old scooters are being shipped out of India to other markets at an unbelievable rate.
So I found this guy who restores old scooters, went riding 20 km. to his workshop (never did find the workshop), only to be told that he only exports scooters. He wouldn't even allow me to visit his workshop. Then I requested him to put me in touch with a mechanic who can do a good job for a local like me. No reply.
Sometimes I randomly stop at mechanic shops when I see old scooters parked in front (but I see only the ugly Bajaj scooters), and they cannot believe their ears when I ask for a Lambretta. Last time I did this, the mechanic told me: I can get you any other scooter, but not Lambretta.
Anyone in B'lore who can help out?
Old 14th May 2008, 21:06   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Anyone in B'lore who can help out?
sidman, I really empathise with you! Yes, empathise!

Anyways, if you dont mind buying a lambretta from outside Bangalore, I can put you across to karlosdeville. He told me of a 1-owner '71 Li 150 going for 8k in Pune the other day.
You can pm him for more details but do so ASAP, as you know how these scooters are disappearing steadily! Besides, a '71 lambretta I'm sure, would be apt for you considering your dad's was one too!

Last edited by Stanher : 14th May 2008 at 21:23.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:17   #102
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;830301]sidman, I really empathise with you! Yes, empathise!]
You know how it feels...thanks so much for the info! I have PM'ed Karlosdeville and you...do check!
Old 8th June 2008, 22:21   #103
BHPian

Lambretta mechanics - Bangalore?

Any Vespa/Lambretta enthusiasts on BHP from B'lore remember Scooter Garage on Central Street (opp. Empire/Imperial hotel), near Shivajinagar? I used to give my 71 Lambretta there for service and repairs. It was run by 2 brothers, Diwakar and Mohan. From 1982-2000, this garage maintained my scooter. The work was always good, they even got me a replacement fork when the original broke. After I sold my scooter in 2000, I lost touch with Scooter Garage. A few months ago, I found out that one of the brothers had expired in 2005, and after that, Scooter Garage became defunct.
Does anyone know of mechanics or garages which handle Lambretta scooters?
Old 9th June 2008, 13:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Any Vespa/Lambretta enthusiasts on BHP from B'lore remember Scooter Garage on Central Street (opp. Empire/Imperial hotel), near Shivajinagar? I used to give my 71 Lambretta there for service and repairs. It was run by 2 brothers, Diwakar and Mohan. From 1982-2000, this garage maintained my scooter. The work was always good, they even got me a replacement fork when the original broke. After I sold my scooter in 2000, I lost touch with Scooter Garage. A few months ago, I found out that one of the brothers had expired in 2005, and after that, Scooter Garage became defunct.
Does anyone know of mechanics or garages which handle Lambretta scooters?
It is tough to find them even in other cities. My dad and my uncle were dealers and were both trained in Rome. Unfortunately my dad is no more and my uncle is afflicted with Alzheimers.
Old 14th June 2008, 19:36   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

After a year+ of hunting for an early (Innocenti) model, I finally got to pick up this '61 series 2 Li150 that was owned by a friend. It was lying in his godown alongwith a few other (later model) lambrettas that he bought.
More pics. can be found in my gallery.

Just collected the scoot today and have left her with my friend Mr. Rashid Mody (as seen in pic.) to get her mechanically up for the time being, that way if I decide to get it done up at a later stage at least let it be running and not just lying in a corner of my parking lot collecting dust as it apparently has been so far!

I'm the process of getting the correct mudguard though, so will definitely get around to doing that first!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-img_0728.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks