Team-BHP - Lambretta scooter lovers here ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta scooter lovers here ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/16994-lambretta-scooter-lovers-here.html)

Would like to interact with Lambretta owners.

my family went through at least 4 in the 60s thru 80s...im desperately looking for one...came across this beautiful poona lambretta club badge...does anyone know anythin more on this?

We sold our 1970 lambretta in 1996, I drove it extensively between 1986 to 1991. Damn! I don't think I have a single photo of that scooter. I could put that heavy beast on stand just using my left hand, even my dad couldn't do that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
I could put that heavy beast on stand just using my left hand, even my dad couldn't do that. :)

Samurai san !!
I challenge you to a sword duel for calling the Lovely Lamby a "Heavy beast"...

We bought one in 1984. Learnt the road on a Lamby. It is with a relative and will get it back soon. Looking forward to that.

Karl,
Thanks for rekindling the affair. Have already asked Pune folk to start searching one for you.

Any Vijai Super lovers here? After all its a Lamberetta too - just a later version which went like stink (for those days, I mean).

I have never ridden one anytime..But have heard a lot of it.

My brother when he was doing his Engineering in automotive, told me one of his lab specimen was a Lamby. He used to go ga ga about the scooter's technological marvels. He used to say it is the only scooter with the torque limiter/converter. for whatever reason. some knowledgable gurus can throw some light on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
Samurai san !!
I challenge you to a sword duel for calling the Lovely Lamby a "Heavy beast"...

Hmm.. Isn't Lambretta different from Lamby? I know later models were called Lamby, but ours said Lambretta on the front, not Lamby.

Don't know the history that well, but I remember there was a difference between Lamby and Lambretta.

Edit: If I am not mistaken Lambretta was much heavier than Lamby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
Don't know the history that well, but I remember there was a difference between Lamby and Lambretta.

From what I know:

Lamberetta was the original italian brand, built in India by API (Automobile Products of India) under collaboration.

When the agreement expired, Lamberetta became Lamby with some cosmetic modifications.

Subsequently there was a last ditch attempt at reviving sales by introducing the Lamby Polo 150, which featured some really ugly cosmetics including headlights that were neither square or round or trapezoid, ridiculous turn indicators on the handle bars and some work on the pressed steel side-covers plus some new colors including burgundy. It looked really ugly - no wonder it died.

Meanwhile Lamberetta licensed the newer version to Scooters India (Vijai Super) and Hyderabad Allwyn (Allwyn Pushpak). There were more powerful but less comfortable than the Lamby.

Any idea what happened to Lamberetta in Italy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Any idea what happened to Lamberetta in Italy?

According to this website, now the original Italian brand belongs to Fiat.:Shockked:

Just to put in a little juice to the conversation...

clicked this at the pune festival

We had one, cant say I loved it. 'twas big though. entire families would ride on one. The one feature I remember is that people would ride with folks sitting on the spare wheel! I suppose that's why they changed that layout.

Samurai - I thought the Lamby 150 was the heavier one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballkey
Samurai - I thought the Lamby 150 was the heavier one.

Can't be sure without specs for both.

Anyway, I found the exact model we owned, it is here. The Indian version was based on this model. We had the 150cc version, it weighed about 105Kg.

Quote:

Any Vijai Super lovers here? After all its a Lamberetta too - just a later version which went like stink (for those days, I mean).

Steeroid check out this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...?do=view&g=289

This Vijay Super is still in good condition and is being used by my younger bro..

Cheers Ed..

Quote:

I learned two wheeler driving on a Vijai Super.... the balance was excellent for a newbie!

My parents had a lambretta in the 70s and my uncle had a Vijay Super.

THe Vijay super was a sporty scoot and young people (who didnt want to ride bikes) would prefer them to the Bajajs.