Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2016, 20:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II

This write up reminded me of the first car that my father owned. It was an Ambassador Mark II - WMJ 5368, bought 2nd hand from the company he worked for (Durgapur Cement Works). The car was bought in 1976 and sold off in 1979 as we moved to Libya.

The second car that my father owned was also an Ambassador, but Mark IV. MMG 1357. This car was also purchased 2nd hand from Birla Jute and Industries Ltd (present Birla Corp). The car was used at the Mumbai office and driven all the way to Satna (where my father was posted). It served us well, being driven many a times from Satna to Chittorgarh.

Attaching a snap of MMG 1357
Attached Thumbnails
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-mamu-satna0001.jpg  

ALTIMAed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 23:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Mr Arun Srinivasan on the new arrival, the lovely 1974 Mark II. It has been so lovingly kept by its previous owner Mr Rao for so many years and the TLC manifests upon the gracious looks of this car. A glance is enough to say that the car has been parked in a garage, driven and handled well and cared for all through. These tid bits are very helpful and such cars are bound to endure well with any new owner who cares for it equally.

Since I am the second owner of a similar car owned since 48 years by a first owner (since 1955 - 2003) , I am proud to proclaim that my car can still at age 61 now do another 61 plus years in good hands. Pedigree (meaning ownership here) matters a lot.

A similarity between the two sales is that the previous owners became very emotional upon the departure of their old car. Arun has observed it in the sad facial expressions of Mr Rao, the previous owner of his Mark II. In my case Mr Balmukund Kamathikar (passed away in 2007) the first owner, did not have his dinner, the day he parted company with his then 48 year old, beloved Landmaster in 2003.

Back to the 1974 Mark II, this is a transition phase model of the Mark II. The Mark 3 came around June 1975. During the last phase from 1974 till June 1975, the Mark II came with its new headlight rings that were to continue for the Mark 3, the Mark 4 and beyond. The number plate light changed over to the Mark 3 (continued in the Mark 4) kind, single piece. The tail lights ( amber and red separate units) however remained the Mark II kind. With these subtle changes, perhaps HM wanted to convey that the new Mark 3 was well on its way.

This kind of 1974-75 Mark II's are very rare to find today. The tail light covers are however changed to the single piece Mark 3/ 4 type here, that can always be corrected.

Happy driving to Arun and funkykar with their classic Ambassador.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th November 2016 at 23:38.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 01:52   #18
BHPian

Congratulations Arun & thanks to funkykar for this lovely thread & beautiful pictures. One thing that makes me excited about visiting Kolkata is the Ambassador. Ride on the sofa style rear seat is a thing to be experienced.
Sportztourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 07:41   #19
BHPian

Great Write up. The story reminds me of my own 62' Fiat Super Select purchase from an equally passionate owner in Bangalore a few years ago. Yes, Cars and bikes are part of family.It is we who have forgotten about them!
Karthik & Arun - congrats - I'd love to have a look and a ride when we meet up next.
raghuram.cg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 10:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Never dreamt that the car I learn't driving on way back in school would be in my lifetime itself be a classic.

The instrument panel does not look like original. But then there had been som many changes in Amby that one could easily mix up.
The instrument panel is original to this Mark II. Only the
fuel gauge appears to be changed. In my opinion, let Arun enjoy driving his car for sometime before getting into the task of finding the missing original bits in the car like steering wheel, tail lamp covers, IRVM etc. Nevertheless nice to see a caringly maintained car landing in safe hands.
ARUN.V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 12:00   #21
BHPian

@arun: congrats on the beauty! It's been maintained so well. A great find! Its great to see that there are people who still value these classic cars and cherish them.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 19:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
This write up reminded me of the first car that my father owned. It was an Ambassador Mark II - WMJ 5368, bought 2nd hand from the company he worked for (Durgapur Cement Works). The car was bought in 1976 and sold off in 1979 as we moved to Libya.

The second car that my father owned was also an Ambassador, but Mark IV. MMG 1357. This car was also purchased 2nd hand from Birla Jute and Industries Ltd (present Birla Corp). The car was used at the Mumbai office and driven all the way to Satna (where my father was posted). It served us well, being driven many a times from Satna to Chittorgarh.

This car, the meter console was not the standard type. If I remember correctly, it had a speedometer (large dial) and the small dials for voltmeter, amp meter, fuel, engine oil pressure, temperature gauge, inlet manifold pressure gauge (one end of a plastic pipe was attached to this meter and the other end to the inlet manifold - I had never seen this gauge in any other Ambassador). Can anyone comment on this gauge please.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 19:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Arun ! That is a well maintained classic ! The pics seem to have the sombre mood of parting in them. The simple fact that Mr Rao has kept it this long with him is enough to show how much he loved the car - and the efforts to maintain it !

The car reminds me of the Ambassador's that my FiL had in 70's & 80's. May be will bring him over next time he is here to show him this beauty.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 09:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
That "note slot" as you call it, was actually an ash tray positioned on the dashboard top. It could also be used as a coin slot but getting the coins out was a pain as I remember from my childhood. My Dad used to use it as an ashtray because it could be removed and cleaned every day.
Since I am a non smoker, I use the ash tray as a "note slot" in all my Classics. Here's the one in my Padmini.
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-screenshot_1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Not to sound fussy, but methinks the OE Steering wheel with the indicator stalk and rexin covered seat covers will complete the classic image. It takes a very brave man to own an Amby in this era. Best wishes to you and your amby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
If memory serves me right I think my Amby's steering wheel was different. This one must have been changed somewhere down the line.
The original steering wheel had some issues with horn button, which couldn't be rectified and hence for practical reasons the steering wheel was upgraded as per the owner. I personally liked it too.

Regarding the rexin seat covers, the original rexis seats are still intact, beneath the fabric seat cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Also personally hope you make space and vitamin M to acquire one more 'unsung hero/ine' of post-Independence Indian motoring history! You'll know which one!
Ha ha, lets pray for Arun to adopt a Standard car too!
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

We had the used this ashtray to keep the lighted agarbathis. Yes, it was common those days to light few of them in the car for your morning drive (and car perfumes were unheard of)
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:51   #26
BHPian

Just to get an idea, how much did the car cost ?
And whats the mileage you are getting in city driving, as well as the highway driving you made ?
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 14:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Lovely nostalgic pic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Happy driving to Arun and funkykar with their classic Ambassador.
Thanks, Sir. We will disturb your free time seeking help to maintain this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Karthik & Arun - congrats - I'd love to have a look and a ride when we meet up next.
Sure!! Get your FIAT along and lets hit the highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
Let Arun enjoy driving his car for sometime before getting into the task of finding the missing original bits in the car like steering wheel, tail lamp covers, IRVM etc. Nevertheless nice to see a caringly maintained car landing in safe hands.
Yes, well said. We are thoroughly enjoying the car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Congrats, Arun ! That is a well maintained classic !
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We had the used this ashtray to keep the lighted agarbathis. Yes, it was common those days to light few of them in the car for your morning drive (and car perfumes were unheard of)
So true. This was a common practice those days. Nostalgic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Just to get an idea, how much did the car cost ?
And whats the mileage you are getting in city driving, as well as the highway driving you made ?
Between this Ambassador and iPhone 7 128 GB, the Ambassador was chosen.
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 20:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
That very night, his family were eagerly waiting for the Ambassador to come home.
Car looks in good shape cosmetically, wanted to inquire if the owner had chromed all parts at least once during his ownership or is it all still from the factory ?
Reason to ask is because the chrome seen in bumper, front radiator grill, hub caps are literally gleaming.

Is it the original 1.4 liter petrol engine, Could you post a video file may be a 2 min video, with bonnet open and cranking ?

Are you planning to refurbish your new acquisition given its age or planning to use it sparingly in as-is condition ?
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 21:11   #29
BHPian

Hello Karthik,

Fantastic story and pictures, and no one disputes Arun is a lucky man

Congratulations to Arun! Wishing him many pleasurable decades of ownership!

GOutham
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:24   #30
BHPian

Nice car and loved to read about the whole experience. I too have similar memories about the Amby and the last time I rode one was in Kolkata. But the last Amby that was parked in our garage was my dad's sarkaari gadi which was first generation 1800 CC Isuzu engine. The car was overpowered and the chassis felt like a boat around the corners. Sadly the entire series of 15-20 cars purchased during that time developed engine head issues within the first year or so and had to be returned to the dealer.

I have also good experience of a Mark IV on which I learned how to drive with those column mounted gears when I was still not of legal age.

Cheers to your new car!
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks