Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 12:10   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II

Congratulations to the Bangalore Boys on a lovely car. I particularly love the colour - I am assuming the original shade?

Start stocking up on spares - after everyone reads this expect prices to start soaring

Did you manage to also get the original manual, delivery note etc? And what was the original registration number? All the best and let us know for any assistance.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Reason to ask is because the chrome seen in bumper, front radiator grill, hub caps are literally gleaming.

Is it the original 1.4 liter petrol engine, Could you post a video file may be a 2 min video, with bonnet open and cranking ?

Are you planning to refurbish your new acquisition given its age or planning to use it sparingly in as-is condition ?
The chrome on the car doesn't look like new and I also don't think the original would have lasted this long!

For now the car will stay as it is with just tyre upgrade and it will be used as a daily runner.

Will post the video soon, meanwhile here is a pic of the 1.5 L BMC engine at night with engine bay lights on.
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-optimizedimg_20161121_213838374.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Hello Karthik,

Fantastic story and pictures, and no one disputes Arun is a lucky man

Congratulations to Arun! Wishing him many pleasurable decades of ownership!

GOutham
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations to the Bangalore Boys on a lovely car. I particularly love the colour - I am assuming the original shade?

Start stocking up on spares - after everyone reads this expect prices to start soaring

Did you manage to also get the original manual, delivery note etc? And what was the original registration number? All the best and let us know for any assistance.
Thanks Karl!!

As per the owner, yes, it's the original bottle green color.

Not started with collecting the spares yet. From FIATs to Amby, lots to learn!

The current owner says he did not get the original docs and manual from the first owner who had the car from 1974 to 1981. :(

Amby and it's companions for life.
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-optimizedimg_20161122_0734523743.jpg
funkykar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 09:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The current owner says he did not get the original docs and manual from the first owner who had the car from 1974 to 1981. :(
You can see a scan of the owner's manual here (HM Ambassador Mark II - Operation Manual). I do have a parts catalogue somewhere, when I find it will make you a scan. Could you find the original registration number?
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Mark 2 has been running well and now occasionally shares the parking space with My Ambassador.

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20161219wa0027.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20161219wa0026.jpg

Only change done so far is the shoes were upgraded to Radials(of my white Amby) as the current tyres were in really bad shape.

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-2.jpg

Some recent pics.

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-3.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-4.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-5.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-6.jpg
funkykar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Only change done so far is the shoes were upgraded to Radials(of my white Amby) as the current tyres were in really bad shape.
Are the rims suitable for tubeless tyres ?
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Are the rims suitable for tubeless tyres ?
My white Amby had tubes and these were fit on the old rims of Green Amby with tubes too.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 22:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of a recent drive of Arun's Amby and mine.

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170111_0833093152.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170111_083730926.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170111_082504608.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170111_084405762.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20170111wa0004.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170111_0849449492.jpg
funkykar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 23:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

All good things come to an end, this is the case with Arun. The Amby had to go to a new home, hopefully a better one. A known good friend of us, a fellow Bhpian, has bought this Amby. He is a old time member of our FIAT Club, and owns many well maintained classics. His FIAT Super Select is one of the fastest FIAT I have seen!!

Last few pics, before the Amby was handed over. Hope the new owner continues posting in this thread.

Along with Arun's Padmini.
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-1.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-2.jpeg

Along with the new owner's Amby!
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-3.jpg

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-4.jpg

Thanks you Anjaan sir and other for helping us during this ownership.
funkykar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 00:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
All good things come to an end, this is the case with Arun. The Amby had to go to a new home, hopefully a better one. A known good friend of us, a fellow Bhpian, has bought this Amby. He is a old time member of our FIAT Club, and owns many well maintained classics. His FIAT Super Select is one of the fastest FIAT I have seen!!

Last few pics, before the Amby was handed over. Hope the new owner continues posting in this thread.

Along with Arun's Padmini.
Attachment 1602192

Attachment 1602193

Along with the new owner's Amby!
Attachment 1602194

Attachment 1602195

Thanks you Anjaan sir and other for helping us during this ownership.
Thanks funky kar for your compliments. Iam happy to have purchased this car from a passionate car enthusiast, Mr.Arun srinivasan and I will be doing my best to keep the car well. Right now the car is parked safely in my shed and will continue to update about its development in the thread.
ARUN.V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
Thanks funky kar for your compliments. Iam happy to have purchased this car from a passionate car enthusiast, Mr.Arun srinivasan and I will be doing my best to keep the car well. Right now the car is parked safely in my shed and will continue to update about its development in the thread.
I know both Aruns and I know their love for cars

Arun S has indeed done justice to the car by finding someone who will take care of the car as lovingly as he does.

Arun V already has a stable of Ambassadors and is the right custodian for the car!
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 19:39   #41
BHPian

I am updating the this thread after two months as I did not use the car much except for some small runs to keep the car healthy. During those runs I observed that the following things needed attention.
1. Water pump bearing noise.
2. Radiator top hose leakage.
3. Engine sputtering.
4.clutch slipping and judder.
5. Difficulty in engaging reverse gear
6. Excessive play in gear lever.
7.Oil pressure light glowing during idling.
I wanted to do the repairs one after the other on a priority basis. Found that oil was fouling the plug in the third cylinder so fixed an adapter to it and also replaced all the four plugs which made the engine to run as it should.
Next I replaced the water pump as the play in the bearing was at the danger level. Also replaced the radiator top hose. The radiator was also serviced.
After undertaking these repairs I have driven it only for a short distance and more updates shall be given as i drive the car in the coming days.
ARUN.V is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 09:12   #42

Hello. Congratulations on your new purchase. That is a brilliant car. I own a '62 ohv Ambassador with the original petrol engine myself so I can understand how exciting it can be.

I noticed that you have a cng kit installed in the car. This in my opinion is the root of the problem. I had a cng kit in my car for over a year before I realized it.

My engine started to splash oil onto the third spark plug. An adapter let it run smoothly for a month or so but that was on borrowed time. Eventually the headgasket gave up and the car was intolerably unreliable.

When I opened the head I discovered that my pistons and rings were charred thanks to the cng. And the third cylinder being the hottest spot of the engine gave in first. So had my headgasket between the second and third cylinder. I later overhauled the entire engine.

The good news is it didn't cost me much and parts were easily available. I got new pistons, rings, camshaft and crankshaft bearings and also a new camshaft. I bored the engine and put in slightly oversized pistons and that has made it more peppy. All of this cost me under 7500Rs although I admit that I did most of the labor.

Hopefully your engine is not too far gone for a rebuild although the oil splashing on the 3rd spark plug is worrying. Many petrol engined Amby owners have experienced this and have got rid of these kits. You may have to do the same.

As for the gearbox and clutch issues it's probably the clutch and pressure plate problem. An easy fix but you have to remove the engine out of the way.

I admire your interest in these vehicles and envy your ownership over them. Hopefully maintaining them won't be too much of a hassle.
the alpha male is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 10:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the alpha male View Post
Hello. Congratulations on your new purchase. That is a brilliant car. I own a '62 ohv Ambassador with the original petrol engine myself so I can understand how exciting it can be.
Hi, Glad to note that you also own a 62 ambassador.
The kit in the car is not CNG but LPG.
In some cases use of LPG causes overheating of the engine and results in problems with the engine. Though Iam not a fan of LPG vehicles, some vehicles have run efficiently on this fuel for a considerable time. I need to check the temperature of the engine by fitting a temperature gauge in my car .
Any how thanks for the suggestions and I would be glad to update the thread as I carry out the works.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2017 at 15:54.
Old 12th May 2017, 11:32   #44

Lpg huh. Interesting. Keep updating. I'm quite glad someone is using a non Isuzu petrol engine. I've been using mine as a daily driver for the past 2 years since I overhauled it. I never thought it would be this reliable!
Attached Thumbnails
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20170422wa0233.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20170422wa0013.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-imag1018.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-imag0009.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img2016071300178.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img2016071200169.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170512_111603.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img_20170512_111546.jpg  

Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-img20160905wa0005.jpg  

the alpha male is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 07:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the alpha male View Post
I've been using mine as a daily driver for the past 2 years since I overhauled it. I never thought it would be this reliable!
Arun did spot your car in front of MGM college and was posted in Team Bhp too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post4124415
Attached Thumbnails
Got Marked by a '74 Ambassador Mark II-1.jpg  

funkykar is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks