Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Re: The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II

Wow! Wow!Wow!, kids were pestering me to play carroms with them, I was glued to the thread.
Finished reading completely and hats off to you.
The double tone paint job gives a different perspective to the Ambassador, especially the look from the front. Initially though the silver metallic color with out the contrasting deep blue would have been good. But the two tone scheme one will gradually start liking.
Any way congratulations!!
shijinpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:37   #17
BHPian

Guys, thank you so much for your warm words of appreciation. It really means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am curious to know the reason for that blue drape on both side, some story behind it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Any specific reason for this style of dual tone paint? I was searching for a silver beading type thingy before I realised that it was just the painting .
Even though I would like to state that it was my own idea, it is not true. I will be brutally honest with you, the inspiration for this paint job came from the 1978 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow series II. Back then, dual tone paint jobs was in rage and this Silver Mink over Seychelles Blue was a hit combination. So this is a tribute to a legendary car from a legendary car.

The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II-946_main_l.jpg

The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II-946_p4_l.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

Quick question - Why is the front number plate slightly placed inwards at the bottom? Is the new trend in Kerala. I have seen couple of pics in Tastefully Modified cars thread where the number plate is similar to yours.

OT - Is that Vinayaka Kalyana Mandapam - Cochin?
Tthis was not a deliberate styling measure but for some reason it stays like that.
And yes, it is Vinayaka Kalyana Mandapam in Kadavanthara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One question: What engine is it running now?
It's running the Matador F-305 engine with 4 speed gear box. We have retained the column shifter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
What a absolutely stunning story. To this date, I regret the decision of selling our Ambassador - you have got a valuable piece of Family heirloom and I am happy to see that you are taking the pains to restore it.

I did try to buy the car back after few years, only to realize that the car was junked by previous owner :(

--Anoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Memorable story. We used to have a Fiat Padmini which i had insisted on keeping forever being my fathers first car but due to some stupid reason we had to sell it. Tried to find it back a few years ago but couldnt find the guy who bought it at his address or the car.

Just reminds me of my Fiat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
Man, aren't you feeling blessed?

That car is a real stunner. I was always lusting after the Amby while growing up.

My Papa was the old school type who thought cars to be more of a luxury which we can do without. Thankfully, that changed later with a car named Indica with patriotism as its main USP winning his heart and that became his first and only car in 2000. Ambassador was the only car Mummy ever wanted as she only knew two, Ambassador and Fiat. Being born in 1938 and brought up in a small town, that is understandable. Ambassador was her favorite as it was more, shall we say, regal of the two.
Guys, its never too late to pursue your dream. If you don't have parking issues, I feel now is the best time to buy Ambassadors and Padminis in the market in very reasonable prices. Take my case, it cost me roughly 50000/- Rs. to restore the car including top notch painting, patch work, mechanical work, new battery, road tax and insurance. All this plus the price of the donor car wont cost you more than a new iPhone . The experience you get owning one is priceless.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th March 2017 at 01:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. EDIT: Post edited for readability.
Astraholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 22:04   #18
BHPian

Hi Astraholic -

Wonderful restoration thread.

If my memory serves me right, I've seen your car before. May be during in 2000s in Tripunithura or was it at a garage in Pettah? Can't remember exactly. The reason I remember your car was because it was a Mark II with a lovely number. My dad also had a 71 model Mark II later converted to Mark 3 with KLF number.

Anyways, so glad to see the car back on road. Enjoy your car and have a wonderful married life!

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 01:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraholic View Post
What is the relevance of 6174?
[indent]6174 is known as Kaprekar's constant after the Indian mathematician D. R. Kaprekar. This number is notable for the following property:

Now that was the story of KLF-6174. I hope you enjoyed reading. As the mystical Japanese character loosely based on Nissan USA founder Yutaka Katayama quotes in the famous 1996 super bowl commercial, Dream Garage, “Life is a journey. Enjoy the ride!”

Attachment 1615074

Attachment 1615067
Awesome narration. Shows how attached we are to our vehicles. Our first car was a Fiat Premier Padmini. It was dad's official car. We had the option of buying her at book value after 4 years. But finances did not permit then. We subsequently used 4 premier padmini's, one after another. The last one was 137D with floor shift. I learnt driving in that car. Nostalgic. I recently checked that car's registration status in Vahaan and to my surprise it's still running in Delhi. My next plan is to buy and restore her. Fingers crossed.
Mad4bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 07:51   #20
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, Let’s begin with the prelude then, shall we? Story begins by early 1970s. my paternal grandfather,......
Thank you for sharing your inspired story. It was a very enjoyable read. I am glad that the legacy lives on. Congratulations to you and your family

Quote:
......... Now, sajiappan is a small submarine. Read, under water after 7pm!! Dude was not answering the phone and I had no option but to go to Murugan chettan’s place by 12am. Thankfully he was waiting and we got back home by 1am.
Tribute to your humour. This made the story so much more interesting! As the saying goes, "the only thing standing after 7 pm is the Gandhi Statue"

All the very best

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 09:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new life as well as new life for the Amby.

Reminds me of my wedding in which the car was more of a hit than me

Incidentally my dads wedding car was a black Fiat as well.
This is member SandeepMohan's paternal granddad's car handed down to him.
Attached Thumbnails
The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II-img20170102wa0068.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 4th March 2017 at 09:23.
tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 09:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

its running on matador F-305 engine with 4 speed gear box. We have retained the column shifter as well.
Since you have so much passion towards the car, and try to use it daily, just letting you know that, you have soo many engine options, which will make the car super smooth and powerful. Read: Enjoyable daily drive.

I know I'm feeding the bug..
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 09:34   #23
BHPian

Very nice narration with the tinge of subtle humour. I enjoyed this post tremendously. Wish you and your wife a very happy, long and prosperous married life - and may this car be with your next generation also!

Quote:

Guys, its never too late to pursue your dream.If you dont have parking issues, i feel now is the best time to buy Ambassadors and Padminis in the market in very reasonable prices. Take my case, it cost me roughly 50000/- rs to restore the car including top notch painting, patch work, mechanical works, new battery, road tax and insurance. All this plus the price of the donor car wont cost you more than a new iphone . the experience you get owning one is priceless
Interesting thought - but in bangalore, the biggest downer will come in the nature of parking space. Probably, this will may not be such an issue in kerala - where each house has sprawling "parambu" in front.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 17:15   #24
BHPian

Wow! What a story man!
I live in Alappuzha, I'll be looking for this car the next time I visit Fort Kochi
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 17:44   #25
BHPian

Along with the restoration process this thread also resonates the passion you possess for the timeless beauty this car is. Looking at the grill it seems as if the car is grinning and is in a happy space after the restoration. Wish you many a more wonderful miles with the 6174 and last but not the least wish you a very happy married life.
luvtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 22:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for combining love, cars, life and a bit of number theory in one excellent post! Looking forward to your Tata Estate restoration now.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 22:21   #27
BHPian

What a write up man ! The tale was so gripping from start to end. I could only imagine the amount of pride and happiness that your parents, especially your dad would have felt, on seeing you and your wife board on the beloved Amby, in which they travelled after their wedding. Would have been a nostalgic moment for them. There is so much of soul to classic cars. Beautifully restored Mark-II Amby ! Wishing that your son will ride in the same Ambassador for his marriage too ! Would love to see some photographs of the tastefully done interiors.

Cheers ! Long live the Kaprekar's constant Ambassador !!
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 02:03   #28
BHPian

Its amazing how most of us here treat our cars like family members. I could immediately sense the connection you have with your Amby through every word in your story. Soulful writing this one. Whats also amazing was how your father used the Ambassador as a daily driver for so long despite so many modern choices at hand. And about the car, it looks magnificent yet cool. Wonderfully written story.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 08:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful writeup of a beautiful car laced with memories and love. Really enjoyed reading.

On a different note - Why did you (or the workshop) need 6 litre of engine oil and 4 litre of engine flush?

The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II-oil.jpg

The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II-flush.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

its running on matador F-305 engine with 4 speed gear box. We have retained the column shifter as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Since you have so much passion towards the car, and try to use it daily, just letting you know that, you have soo many engine options, which will make the car super smooth and powerful. Read: Enjoyable daily drive.

I know I'm feeding the bug..
Very nice restoration and very well narrated.

Since you seem to be really passionate about this car, why don't you go the extra mile and get one of the OHV Petrol engines in as well

I fully agree with the suggestion from Dhanush.

I am pretty sure that you can easily find an engine from one of the old workshops from some of the traditional automotive work centres in Kerala. Try the Trivandrum Marikar themselves. I am sure they will have some lying around.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed