Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2010, 11:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

From what i have understood from Mr. ram sir above statement is that all classic car can be vintage but all vintage car can't be classic cars they have offer some unique/ expensive equipment so be called a classic
and i personally agree with his statement
Old 13th June 2010, 16:02   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
By defintion ANY car between the age of 20 and 45 years IS a Classic Car.

If one was to restrict this definition only to expensive old cars then it be a shame.

Going by your definition Ram then old cars like Austin 7;s etc would never classify as Antique Cars and others like say the MGB or TR serise would never classify as Classic Cars too

And even more than the Austin 7- with due respect to ram- the VW Beetle, always having been produced as a 'mass' car from the start, and definitely not a high-powered car would not qualify as a classic, as per his statement!
In fact this was the first time I came across being said that only high-end/luxury and powerful cars could qualify as classics.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th June 2010 at 16:11.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 18:11   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The following is just for information. If it offends some dear friend's feelings, I apologize unconditionally and in advance.

A classic car is a fine large luxury car, produced between World War Two and 1985.
It should have been an upper class car in the country where originally produced -- not a common economy car, when new.

We're talking about cars which commanded prices well above the middle-class, average new car prices, when new.

Nowadays many cars in the 1.6 litre to 2.0 litre engine capacity
have power brakes, hydraulic clutch, power windows.
But if your car had these things in 1966, when they were luxury accessories, it would be a Classic.
(e.g. pneumatic power windows)
Cars which had real leather upholstery when common cars had rexine.
Cars which had wood-trimming, when common cars had plain painted metal.
  • The 1959-1968 six-cylinder Fiat 1800 and 2100 are classics. Fiat 1100s are not.
  • The six-cylinder Triumph Vitesse and Triumph 2000 are classics. The 948 cc Herald is not.
  • Most Jaguar/Daimler/Bentley/Rolls-Royce saloons are classics, an Ambassador/Landmaster is not.
Just my opinion
Ram
Hi Ram, I am quite shocked at your defination of classics, it comes as very authoritative but something I disagree with to every word. I would go to the extent to ask you to reveal the source for such a defination

I feel its best left undecided what qualifies as a classic and what does not, and a matter of great dispute. There certainly can be some classics which are more desirable than others but there is no such thing as a non-classic. All this has been invented by exclusivists to keep others out. But Again JUST MY OPINION.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 19:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
By defintion ANY car between the age of 20 and 45 years IS a Classic Car.

If one was to restrict this definition only to expensive old cars then it be a shame.

Going by your definition Ram then old cars like Austin 7;s etc would never classify as Antique Cars and others like say the MGB or TR serise would never classify as Classic Cars too
If that is so then my 1990 maruti 800 is already a classic car. It is not a SS80. Anyway lets not move the focus from the topic here.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Hello!

IMHO, the classic Mustangs go on to 1969. Then there are some who extend that upto 1973, why not, still muscle cars with V8 engines, though enlarged, and have good presence. After that, IMHO, only some of the convertible Mustangs with V8 engines could be considered as classics. I would not even consider a 4 cylinder rag top. On the other hand, there are so few of these cars around, someone else may consider even those. Even the 1964 to 69 Mustang is not a collectable classic for me, but when there is no stock, have to accept what is available.

About classics, these are mainly post war cars which should have some reason to be loved and want to be collected by larger numbers. Have we all not heard about unloved classics? So this definition can be twisted, turned to suit cars which IMHO are not considered as classics anywhere. Peugeot 505 is not a classic, but suddenly, after all have disappeared, someone is looking for one. Or a Peugeot 604. I would never consider a Ford Taunus or Cortina 4 door sedan, a coupe or atleast a 2 door could be considered. But not by me. This again becomes subjective.
Basically it should be a milestone car, a coupe, large engine, revolutionary in design, or so bad when new that there are few survivors, or something one has/likes, considers it a classic and the opinion of others does not matter.
So we can debate till the cows come home, we will always agree to disagree. Classic, non classic, let the definition be the headache of an event organiser. At one time the Ponton was NOT a classic, and in some places the W115 is still not a classic. So, we can go and bang our heads to thrash this out.
But, a word of advise. No harm in collecting FUTURE classics, in future they MAY be classics. But that requires ones own good judgement. Example, I own a Mercury Monterrey 1963, got through a collector. Sure to be a unique classic once restored. I left many W115's, better cars were available and when will this be a classic I am not sure. But, surely one day it will be!
Confused? That was the idea.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th June 2010 at 23:07.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:57   #141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please avoid going off-topic. This thread is to discuss classic Ford Mustangs, not what makes a car a classic. If anyone feels the need to further debate the same, please create a new thread.
Old 29th June 2010, 03:36   #142
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few pics of a Mustang V8 under restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8754.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8755.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8756.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8757.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8758.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8759.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8760.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8761.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8762.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8763.jpg  

Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-8764.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 20:08   #143
BHPian

Re: Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!

Guys I've just turned 18 and I'm in search of a Mustang.
Is there any available for sale in Mumbai?
Please give me the details if you guys find anything.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:58   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Are the fotoz from a Delhi workshop??
Any idea for how much can I get one?

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2012, 17:33   #145
BHPian

Re: Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs!

now check this out

Before you guys comment on how tastefully done, this looks, let me tell you that is actually a classic early 70s mustang that has been modded to look like a new one

Now why would anyone even try to do this ???that is why it ends up on this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Pics : *Classic* Ford Mustangs in India!-img2011082400373.jpg  

cmdalvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:04   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

cmdalvi, thanks for sharing. I've copied your post to this thread as well.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:08   #147
BHPian

SHOCKKED !!!!!

CDM heres the shocker for you:
This car is a 66 coupe (notch back not fast back) first chopped to make it convertible...Then a fabricated fast back roof which looks completely out of date. Completely fabricated fenders and bumpers.....

more shock... Its locally converted to RHD

still more shock... original engine replaced with a 6 cyl from 80's ford ltd

say what !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
now check this out

Before you guys comment on how tastefully done, this looks, let me tell you that is actually a classic early 70s mustang that has been modded to look like a new one

Now why would anyone even try to do this ???that is why it ends up on this thread
Benson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 12:42   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
SHOCKKED !!!!!

CDM heres the shocker for you:
This car is a 66 coupe (notch back not fast back) first chopped to make it convertible...Then a fabricated fast back roof which looks completely out of date. Completely fabricated fenders and bumpers.....

more shock... Its locally converted to RHD

still more shock... original engine replaced with a 6 cyl from 80's ford ltd

say what !!!!
buddy, its wither CD or CMD man, where did the CDM come from

On the topic, i guess the conversions and modifications must have been done a while back, when there was not too much of craze and demand for classic cars. If it has been done recently, i wonder what the owner was thinking, its a bad idea to mess with perfection, that is like a botox gone horribly wrong
Old 7th May 2012, 13:01   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
buddy, its wither CD or CMD man, where did the CDM come from

On the topic, i guess the conversions and modifications must have been done a while back, when there was not too much of craze and demand for classic cars. If it has been done recently, i wonder what the owner was thinking, its a bad idea to mess with perfection, that is like a botox gone horribly wrong
This car has been going through the knife right from the 90's. The current look has been dont 2 yrs ago. Trust me this is one car every one needs to stay away from as nothing is original. The car was up for sale too and a ridculous price asked for it.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:13   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This car has been going through the knife right from the 90's. The current look has been dont 2 yrs ago. Trust me this is one car every one needs to stay away from as nothing is original. The car was up for sale too and a ridculous price asked for it.
i know, it is still for sale and a ridiculous price is still being asked for it, i think it will find its way in the advertising and film industry. i just hope it doesnt go into the hands of the golmaal makers, else they will wreck it up like so many other classics. a classic is a classic, maybe someone will have the guts and courage to restore it to its original condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
thats my ride buddy

Most Viewed