Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 00:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Restoration of "Vinty" - My 1951 Morris Minor Series MM

This might be a silly question, but I've always wondered about the mileage of such restored cars. Is it the same as when the cars were new? Also, is the current 90-something octane fuel good for older cars like the MM? Nobody ever talks about it. What's your observations?

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 2nd January 2020 at 00:39.
Old 2nd January 2020, 02:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Hey Praveen! Nice to see you back here with the Morris. Krishna's restoration is undoubtedly the best one in Bangalore. I am also happy that you have ensured the FC and Insurance is updated. Congratulations.
Thanks, Arun! Since I was in the UK when Krishna sold the car to me, some of the paperwork was pending. I ensured that all paperwork was completed before restoration began.

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
This might be a silly question, but I've always wondered about the mileage of such restored cars. Is it the same as when the cars were new? Also, is the current 90-something octane fuel good for older cars like the MM? Nobody ever talks about it. What's your observations?
Good questions, I say.

From the Morris Minor Owners Club forum, the expected mileage of a side-valve MM is about 43mpg (about 15 km/l). I have never checked the mileage on my car since I use it very very rarely.

Regarding the right fuel for classic cars, I really have no idea, to be honest. I will look at the classic automobile boffins on this forum for their comments!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd January 2020 at 12:19. Reason: Back to back posts.
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:14   #18
BHPian

Stupendous work. Im truly speechless. Congrats bro! I am tempted to do an all out restoration of my Fiat also but scared about the Vitamin M part. Could you please PM me what was the total outlay for the whole thing.
Also coming to that Vijaylakshmi fellow. He ruined couple of my hubcaps and my Yamaha restoration was also ruined because of him and was charged a bomb in the process. We should pass the word around and boycott that damn place which many people VERY wrongly think Is the best chrome shop in Bangalore.
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Superb restoration indeed. The car looks amazing after the restoration. The exterior - interior colour combination is spot on. The amount of hard work that has been put in is clearly showing.

I must admit, I didn't quite like the Minor to begin with (was always a Beetle / Fiat 1100 guy), but with time, this one has grown on me and your's is one of the best examples I have seen.

Wish you many miles of happy motoring!
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:41   #20

Excellent restoration. The car truly takes you back in time. Loved the choice of colour and details put on this car.
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:56   #21

Wow. That is simply awesome restoration and a beautiful write up to complement.

I am bowled over.

Abinash
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hello @morris51 aka Praveen, this is just wow. it's so amazing to see a properly done up Morris (or for that matter a car). Hats off to you and Sai Krishna.

Sai Krishna's work is among the best in Bangalore. I have a good discussion with him and more so because he is an engineer and understands the technicalities.

The work that you have done on galvanizing and chrome plating is super awesome and we all are also doing the same. Mr Pannerselvam is awesome guy.

The only suggestion that I would like to give you would be install an old style battery box plastic to cover the red new gen battery. Else every thing is super awesome.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Wow! Like other BHPians are saying, what a restoration! Your car looks gorgeous, I wish I could sit in one of these, which I can only dream of. Hope you have a wonderful time with this graceful beauty.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Superb restoration indeed. The car looks amazing after the restoration. The exterior - interior colour combination is spot on. The amount of hard work that has been put in is clearly showing.

I must admit, I didn't quite like the Minor to begin with (was always a Beetle / Fiat 1100 guy), but with time, this one has grown on me and your's is one of the best examples I have seen.

Wish you many miles of happy motoring!
Thanks, Aditya! Every person who has worked on the car has done their bit towards the final result!

The Moggie (as its affectionately called) was Britain's answer to the Beetle. Even though it didn't sell in quite the massive numbers as the Beetle, the Morris Minor had made its way into the hearts of many classic car enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathai View Post
Excellent restoration. The car truly takes you back in time. Loved the choice of colour and details put on this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinashnanda View Post

I am bowled over.

Thanks, Abinash!!

Abinash
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hello @morris51 aka Praveen, this is just wow. it's so amazing to see a properly done up Morris (or for that matter a car). Hats off to you and Sai Krishna.

Sai Krishna's work is among the best in Bangalore. I have a good discussion with him and more so because he is an engineer and understands the technicalities.

The work that you have done on galvanizing and chrome plating is super awesome and we all are also doing the same. Mr Pannerselvam is awesome guy.

The only suggestion that I would like to give you would be install an old style battery box plastic to cover the red new gen battery. Else every thing is super awesome.
Thanks Manish! Nice to see your comments. I cannot agree more, I have had endless phone conversations with Krishna while the restoration was going on. He knows a LOT about cars and it shows in the end result of the restoration!

Regarding the battery cover, let me also check on the Morris Minor Owners forum here in the UK and find what goes best to give the engine bay a period look.

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Wow! Like other BHPians are saying, what a restoration! Your car looks gorgeous, I wish I could sit in one of these, which I can only dream of. Hope you have a wonderful time with this graceful beauty.
Thanks very much for your kind words!

Cheers,
Praveen

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd January 2020 at 13:47. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinashnanda View Post

I am bowled over.

Abinash
Thanks, Abhinash! The team (myself included!) have done our best to bring this classic beauty back to its former glory. Hope to keep the car this way for a long time to come.
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on a wonderful, detailed and sympathetic restoration. Kudos to the team. The attention to detail is just out standing

The colour choice is fabulous. Wish you many happy years of motoring
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
TSince the car has new shock absorbers and other connected bits, it will take a while (and some load) before these components settle down.
Well, I hope you are correct, but I doubt it very much. Shocks do not affect the ride height at all.

Nothing should need settling down in a suspension set up.

Good luck

Jeroeb
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:04   #28
BHPian

Dear 51Morris,

First and foremost let me congratulate you on a job well done.

However , I do notice certain areas which could do with improvement,at least in my mind.

1.The rear view mirror does not seem to be the correct one.

2.the screws on the internal frame of the front windshield need to be uniform. Some are flat headed and countersunk to fit flush with the frame, others are rounded and appear to be proud of the frame.

3.the red beading on the sunvisor could be neater

4.the front seats look odd, especially the sides.

5. you have fitted a modern ignition coil with a ballast. But these coils are not designed to be fitted upside down. This may lead to problems after some time.

Trust you will not be offended by my observations, just that you seem so passionate about the car, I thought I should point out what I noticed.

Happy motoring and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Bulldogji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Regarding the right fuel for classic cars, I really have no idea, to be honest. I will look at the classic automobile boffins on this forum for their comments!
The biggest problem with fuel for old classic cars is never the octane number, but the lack of lead and possibly ethanol in modern fuels.

Lead was added to fuel in the past to obtain a higher octane number. But also it had an important function to reduce valve and vale seat wear.

If you have not replaced the valve and the valve seats on your engine you will have additional wear. If you do little mileage not a problem at all. Or you could add a lead additive.

Ethanol in modern fuels could be a huge problem in vintage cars. It will literally eat up and corrode many parts in the fuel system. From the carburator to the fuel tanks, pump, filters etc.

So you really need to check whether the new parts you have used are ethanol proof. Even so, ethanol will ruin old petrol tanks etc. So you really want to be cautious. Adding an anti ethanol additive will help a bit. But so far I have not seen anything on the market that really counters ethanol problems on old cars adequately. In Europe you can still get ethanol free petrol, which I am using for all my classics.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:39   #30
BHPian

Congratulations 51Morris!!

The car indeed looks fabulous

Restoration of "Vinty" - My 1951 Morris Minor Series MM-11.jpg

Please don't mind if this is a stupid question but what is this in the above picture? Some sort of indicator? Or a purely decorative thing?

Also, how are the maintenance schedules for these vintage cars? Like do you have to run the car every week/month? And when you do, do you have to run for some time to allow the engine to reach its optimum temperature? I believe in modern cars, these things are planned for when they are designed, but I am not sure if cars from these era can be used with the ease of modern automobiles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks