Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

View Poll Results: Which colour for the Fiat 1100/D Special?
Wine Red and White 35 25.93%
Blue and White 36 26.67%
Emerald Green and White 10 7.41%
Midnite Blue and White 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 17:54   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
awesome tin work boss...can barely see the seams and gaps....beautiful work....just make sure you choose the right paint scheme and an awesome paintshop to do justice to the bodywork....cheers!!
Thanks mate, the same guys gonna do the paint job and she'll be baked at his booth. Look below for the colour of my choice and the suggestions other friends have made. Let your suggestions roll too.
- any luck in Indonesia?
Re the doors, these oldies have a very thick guaged metal so the doors literally shut with a "Tha-Dak". The rubbers are thick too so i guess thats that. Simple and uncomplicated without motors etc running through the panels. I do intend to put sound dampers in the doors and floor as i intend to a/c the car

Last edited by V-16 : 26th June 2007 at 17:58.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:01   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
- any luck in Indonesia?
i have better luck with marrying her grand daughter i supoose...but still on it...lets see how it works out....have put my GTR up for sale yesterday...lemme see what i get out of it first...

please go two tone on the paintjob though....but dont go bling..if u choosing a darker colour...go lighter interiors...i'd say tan or beigh leather interiors..with grey / black exteriors...a bit of RETRO never hurts..

and just while i was browsing for some project when i get back home..i found this...be a perfect donor car...the guy has sent me pics as well and is keen to sell..have a look at this link and speak to him..

Used Fiat Italy 1100 Special from Mumbai

Last edited by R32_GTR : 26th June 2007 at 18:04.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:04   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have better luck with marrying her grand daughter i supoose...but still on it...lets see how it works out....have put my GTR up for sale yesterday...lemme see what i get out of it first...

please go two tone on the paintjob though....but dont go bling..if u choosing a darker colour...go lighter interiors...i'd say tan or beigh leather interiors..with grey / black exteriors...a bit of RETRO never hurts..
My thoughts exactly re your suggestion for the colour and interior.

[i have better luck with marrying her grand daughter i supoose...but still on it...lets see how it works out.]

Last edited by V-16 : 26th June 2007 at 18:06. Reason: add
Old 26th June 2007, 18:10   #154
BHPian

Quote:
My thoughts exactly re your suggestion for the colour and interior.

[i have better luck with marrying her grand daughter i supoose...but still on it...lets see how it works out.]
Life would have been easier without your employers breathing down your throat..and let us do what we love the most...if u dont get that 1100 i recommended..i'll get it...and put a freakin GULLWING ON IT!!!!
Old 26th June 2007, 18:13   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Life would have been easier without your employers breathing down your throat..and let us do what we love the most...if u dont get that 1100 i recommended..i'll get it...and put a freakin GULLWING ON IT!!!!
Imagine that...would'nt that be bling. Seriously, ill keep you posted about the progress. Watch this thread and keep the suggestions coming guys..
Old 26th June 2007, 18:22   #156
Senior - BHPian

When do you reckon the car will be ready ?? Looking forward to seeing the end result

Cheers
Old 26th June 2007, 18:29   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
When do you reckon the car will be ready ?? Looking forward to seeing the end result

Cheers
Sabar Karo Mitr!!
I guess end of august or september at the most as everythings being done at this time. The interiors are being decided and once that is done, the interior guy will finish in maybe 15 days max. (I've got my entire Merc 116 (350 SE) done in a week. Thats leather upholstery, springs, foam and padding, side panels, carpets and the top.)
The engines being sent for a look by the day after and should'nt take long as the exhaust was sphewing water when we started it whilst taking delivery. Lets hope everything falls in place (touch-wood)
Old 26th June 2007, 18:39   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sabar Karo Mitr!!
The engines being sent for a look by the day after and should'nt take long as the exhaust was sphewing water when we started it whilst taking delivery. Lets hope everything falls in place (touch-wood)

So are you saying that you are not opening the engine at all ?? Spewing water post a minute of start up is normal for petrol engines - but do keep in mind that you are installing an A.C. Would the engine take the strain ?

Cheers
Old 26th June 2007, 18:43   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
So are you saying that you are not opening the engine at all ?? Spewing water post a minute of start up is normal for petrol engines - but do keep in mind that you are installing an A.C. Would the engine take the strain ?

Cheers
It was sphewing water all the way from the point of pick up to the garage and at the garage too a good 10 kms away. But yes it will have to be worked on, as im putting an a/c. Maybe not now. depends on what feedback im gonna get from my mechanic. But a bigger radiator definately or one with an electric fan. Am on that part right now.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

if you are planning to get a FFE, make sure that the pipes where 3x2 merges into 1 - are not touching the chassis. the one i got from Electra Performance is touching the chassis and hence it makes a sound while turning right (and can be felt through the steering wheel) - i havent yet got time to work on that.

also make sure that its not touching the alternator - well i am sure the mechanics will be able to judge it better.

oh yeah! i need to know more about the bigger radiator with electronic fan.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 26th June 2007 at 18:47.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:52   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
if you are planning to get a FFE, make sure that the pipes where 3x2 merges into 1 - are not touching the chassis. the one i got from Electra Performance is touching the chassis and hence it makes a sound while turning right (and can be felt through the steering wheel) - i havent yet got time to work on that.

also make sure that its not touching the alternator - well i am sure the mechanics will be able to judge it better.
Yes you're right. My FFE will be done by automech, and ill let them know about this surely. One cant be too sure you know. Thanks for sharing the info.
Also this car came with a dynamo and not an alternator but i will have to make the change as im putting in an a/c. The a/c , by the way guys will come at a later stage after the engines been run in.
Gawd im itching to plonk a highlift cam and dual webbers with a scoop on the bonnet.
No, No, Control, Control...(my inner voice)
Old 26th June 2007, 18:59   #162
Senior - BHPian

ooops! my bad - i meant dynamo. i have the dynamo as well.
Old 26th June 2007, 19:01   #163
Senior - BHPian

Bigger radiator as in on the Premier Padminis with A/C, and an electric fan is a must - and you are right about the alternator. Both these things will go a long way in trouble free operation
Old 26th June 2007, 21:35   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you're right. My FFE will be done by automech, (my inner voice)
Alternate path: S1 exhaust Manifold : With S1 front pipe, S1 muffler (or a fabricated straight-thru) and the S1 tail pipe. S1's pipe dia was 1 3/4"

The only bottleneck could be the Dynamo as it fouls with the front pipe (which has 2 intakes). But then do the converson to alternator with the original bracketing and it works just fine.

The S1's manifold and exhaust is pretty much optimised (With respect to scavengine and backpressure) and was "designed" by AVL, moreover its just a direct fit without requiring any fabrication.

Electric fan on this engine wont give you much of the intended benefit.

What's the carb on this?
Old 26th June 2007, 22:10   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

i agree with 1100D on this one...all the ground works been done on this by AVL, so the s1 stuff does the trick pretty well...for that roar you could just get a loud muffler...

I have an AC on my car, (aftermarket National) with oversize radiator...no electric fan, never needed one...no cooling or straining problems...do have an alternator though

Most Viewed