Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

View Poll Results: Which colour for the Fiat 1100/D Special?
Wine Red and White 35 25.93%
Blue and White 36 26.67%
Emerald Green and White 10 7.41%
Midnite Blue and White 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ v-16, just FYI - the correct conversion of the 5-20-14 cross plys to radials is 165/80/14. i dont know about the 175s. hey that pic is one of my finds! check out the racing seats. Including the mods, a loud exhaust is a must IMO.
Abs right and the pic was nicked from your post in the Modded Padminis thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Arre, Sirji,
A Big CONGRATS MAN!!!
always available for anything I can do in the project!
and you might know I've used the fiat like Mad.
she's been my Rally car from '84 to '88
Feel sad to have sold off the car. had a shrikant shah twin carb engine and all. body strenghtened ranchod bhai, also had special alloys et all, could have used parts.
Thanks Boss... this one is also your car only.Firstly I hope you have givien tips to the Dikra from Gujrat regards handling...u know what im talking about. Its not everybod's cup of tea at first.
Wow remember the days but i was only a kid fresh out of school then. I remember Shrikant Shah, Ranchhod Bhai and Suresh Naik...also his ace Mechanic Thakur who used to tune my Padmini with Shaved Ported Head, Free Flow from Panchal (now Automech. In my opinion no free flow job sounds better than a Fiats), Twin Webers, A highlift cam (Gawd, the feel of the car idiling crazyly only to smoothen above high rpms) and a racing Gear box by Adi Malgham.(noisy as hell but would take the fiat to 60-70kmph in the first gear. Thats half the stock speedo of 140kmph!!)...what a combo.
Add a cockpit from Panasonic (a big wow in those days) floor shift, rally seats, roll cage, bigger radials on the rear wheels and crossply in front, national a/c (the most silent a/c till date) and you had every one ogling at you when you drove around. Methinks even today, it would have the same, if not a better, effect....Chalo,... dekhte hain!!
Am doing this for Nostalgia only

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd March 2007 at 15:34. Reason: add
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

This project has evoked a lot of interest. i sure would love to be part of the restoration process. Have seen and observed a couple myself. Looking forward to this one

P.S Are we on for tomorrow?
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Darn this is going to be interesting! Keep us and this thread updated as it moves along.
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow remember the days but i was only a kid fresh out of school then. I remember Shrikant Shah, Ranchhod Bhai and Suresh Naik...also his ace Mechanic Thakur who used to tune my Padmini with Shaved Ported Head, Free Flow from Panchal (now Automech. In my opinion no free flow job sounds better than a Fiats), Twin Webers, A highlift cam (Gawd, the feel of the car idiling crazyly only to smoothen above high rpms) and a racing Gear box by Adi Malgham.(noisy as hell but would take the fiat to 60-70kmph in the first gear. Thats half the stock speedo of 140kmph!!)...what a combo.
I'm probably tooo young to know most of the guys named above, but I do know one of them, Adi Malgham. I still meet him regularly, and despite his age catching up with him, I have to say he is still sharper than I am.
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
P.S Are we on for tomorrow?
OT: I will be in Bombay tomorrow. Lets meet up and see Gogi's new priced possession!
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I'm probably tooo young to know most of the guys named above, but I do know one of them, Adi Malgham. I still meet him regularly, and despite his age catching up with him, I have to say he is still sharper than I am.
I know taht Suresh Naik is no more. He died in a rally crash near Belgaum in his Ford Cortina '69. Navigating him was georgie Chopra of Starline Motors who survived the crash. Even Thakur is no more. These guys were 45-50 in those days. RIP.
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
OT: I will be in Bombay tomorrow. Lets meet up and see Gogi's new priced possession!
you might see a skeleton almost as the stripping had begun!!
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know taht Suresh Naik is no more. He died in a rally crash near Belgaum in his Ford Cortina '69. Navigating him was georgie Chopra of Starline Motors who survived the crash. Even Thakur is no more. These guys were 45-50 in those days. RIP.
Ranchod bhai has also departed! and thakur was my chief mechanic in one of the service teams in the Himalyan, and used to assemble my engine under Shrikant bhai!!
"those were the days my friend_____" and georgie is now settled in Goa, he's survived many more crashes since, latest being totaling a new swift 8 months back!!I just spoke to him, and he says he's also sold off/destroyed all the parts he had. I used to have 2 different ratio diffs strenghtened too man!!
neway feel sad, missing those days,
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ranchod bhai has also departed! and thakur was my chief mechanic in one of the service teams in the Himalyan, and used to assemble my engine under Shrikant bhai!!
"those were the days my friend_____" and georgie is now settled in Goa, he's survived many more crashes since, latest being totaling a new swift 8 months back!!I just spoke to him, and he says he's also sold off/destroyed all the parts he had. I used to have 2 different ratio diffs strenghtened too man!!
neway feel sad, missing those days,
Oh!! did'nt know about Ranchodbhai ...RIP.
Re Georgie, he was and as i hear from you is a regular Accident Magnet !! Hope he has'nt hurt himself..
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please ensure that the body/shell,suspension arms,chassis, are strenghtened!! before refittment.
and do an epoxy inner coat to everything!
sorry,for suggesting. just feel about the project so!
Quote:
Oh!! did'nt know about Ranchodbhai ...RIP.
Re Georgie, he was and as i hear from you is a regular Accident Magnet !! Hope he has'nt hurt himself..
was on respirator for a month after the last operation!!the steering went into the stomach and thigh area, his spleen is out, liver damaged,all body bones have been repaired, plates in various parts fixed. but still in high spirits!!and is buying a new black swift!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th March 2007 at 12:44.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ V-16 - make sure the floor is strengthened. i guess it is a must. Fiats are prone to rust again n again. so every corner / part should be taken care of. please post pics / details of the project.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!! That's some nostalgia on this thread, good to see Scooby & Gogi remembering the good old days!!

Well like I said on the phone Gogi, she's come into the right hands! Take good care of her & looking forward to seeing her next time around!
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:47   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even better . I will get to see the internals better
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
WOW!!!! That's some nostalgia on this thread, good to see Scooby & Gogi remembering the good old days!!

Well like I said on the phone Gogi, she's come into the right hands! Take good care of her & looking forward to seeing her next time around!
Oye, and maybe I'll be able to do the handbrake U turns, and sliding and getting airbourne!!!
Lol, Gogi Sir, I dont get to see the car Kya, Boss.
Some Koliwada guys are experts, even today!! on these fiats, nothing breaks after theyve worked on them!!
should I tell Srikant to prepare a spare engine? we can swap it in and out in 30/35 minutes flat!!

Old 24th March 2007, 03:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please ensure that the body/shell,suspension arms,chassis, are strenghtened!! before refittment.
and do an epoxy inner coat to everything!
sorry,for suggesting. just feel about the project so!
Sir I am honoured by your involvement and will be taking regular tips from you

Quote:

was on respirator for a month after the last operation!!the steering went into the stomach and thigh area, his spleen is out, liver damaged,all body bones have been repaired, plates in various parts fixed. but still in high spirits!!and is buying a new black swift!!
I love his spirit. Id do anything to be there when he passes thru a metal detector at the airport with all them plates in his body

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ V-16 - make sure the floor is strengthened. i guess it is a must. Fiats are prone to rust again n again. so every corner / part should be taken care of. please post pics / details of the project.
Ure right bud and ill post pics with pleasure

Quote:
[indent]
Oye, and maybe I'll be able to do the handbrake U turns, and sliding and getting airbourne!!!
Lol, Gogi Sir, I dont get to see the car Kya, Boss.
Some Koliwada guys are experts, even today!! on these fiats, nothing breaks after theyve worked on them!!
should I tell Srikant to prepare a spare engine? we can swap it in and out in 30/35 minutes flat!!....
Uve got it boss! As i said earlier, its as much your car as it is mine. as regards the srikant engine....WOW please please please do!!! If he promises to do an engine for me, ill but another fiat jut for this. itll be worth it!!

@ Iraghava - as u say boss!!

@ Moralfibre -

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th March 2007 at 12:48. Reason: Quote fixed. Also, please stop posting in all bold as i have requested before.

Most Viewed