Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which colour for the Fiat 1100/D Special?
Wine Red and White 35 25.93%
Blue and White 36 26.67%
Emerald Green and White 10 7.41%
Midnite Blue and White 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 08:12   #211
BHPian

Here's MY suggestion..and opinion..

BLUE and white - will make it look like a cool cab --ONLY WAY COOLER

RED and White - not bad..but apparently you have too many of REDS

GREEN and white - Makes the driver look old (and personally i hate GREEN) unless its BRITISH RACING GREEN.

I would Recommend some lighter shade of GRAY with white..
Old 29th June 2007, 10:02   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post

Salil, check out the difference? Isn't it absolutely different? While a cool cab has a decal stating its identity and a meter to prove it I wonder what similarities do you find in the two colours? Gogi's is going to be a cool car .
Old 29th June 2007, 12:23   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Salil, check out the difference? Isn't it absolutely different? While a cool cab has a decal stating its identity and a meter to prove it I wonder what similarities do you find in the two colours? Gogi's is going to be a cool car.
Look carefully, many cool cabs in Mumbai have electronic meters placed internally. Also, many repainted cool cabs don't have that "Cool Cab" decal on the sides

Read my post correctly
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Gogiji, I think u should seriously think before giving a BLUE-WHITE or BLUE-SILVER Combo.......

Because, in inappropriate light conditions, some people might confuse it with a Cool Cab. The photos below will illustrate my point to an extent. So voted for wine red
What I mean is that maybe at dusk or in overcast conditions, it will look very close (though not exactly) to a taxi.

Let's face it in India, a Fiat is regarded nothing but a taxi by most of the aam junta. So they won't think twice before they see a blue fiat and the unfortunate part is that since this is a 1100D special, it looks exactly like a Padmini from rear three quarters angle.....

Anyway, the fiat in my post was of a different shade and also from a different angle.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:30   #214
BHPian

I think green/white combo will look seriously neat.... Well, it looks great on a MINI.

Old 29th June 2007, 12:36   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look carefully, many cool cabs in Mumbai have electronic meters placed internally. Also, many repainted cool cabs don't have that "Cool Cab" decal on the sides
Baba, I didn't mean to ask you to look at the meters, etc. I wanted to state the difference in shade.

Quote:
What I mean is that maybe at dusk or in overcast conditions, it will look very close (though not exactly) to a taxi.
Agreed but what if it looks like a cool cab? It is NOT!

Quote:
Let's face it in India, a Fiat is regarded nothing but a taxi by most of the aam junta. So they won't think twice before they see a blue fiat and the unfortunate part is that since this is a 1100D special, it looks exactly like a Padmini from rear three quarters angle.....
Agreed again but then this car looks way way far off a taxi please! And for that matter I do not stop a cab when I look at it from the rear three quarters. Rather I look at the front three quarters and I am sure V-16's car is not going to be parked anywhere around a taxi stand to be called for one .

Quote:
Anyway, the fiat in my post was of a different shade and also from a different angle.
Correct and the one you posted is totally different than the ones being considered in the poll.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:51   #216
BHPian

Peace....

Let's not convert this into a war of words.

Let's see what the man himself wants to say.

People who see those blue and white "MINI" Swifts confuse it with a Latest Cool Cab.. So you can imagine in what situation the fiat will fall if it gives a combo which is even 10% similar to a cab.

Anyway, I just put forth my point.

Let's end the argument here.
Old 29th June 2007, 13:57   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

agreed, many people might confuse it with a taxi...like people confuse my triumph with a bullet....it has its advatages you know...no evil eye on it...im this close to putting bullet badges on my bike!

so V-16, blue and white is a great idea...you can recover your petrol costs everytime you take the car out by giving someone a ride!
Old 29th June 2007, 14:21   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im strongly against a silver roof with any colour combo...cool cabs nonwithstanding...it isnt period for a small fiat...a larger american car perhaps...never a european...
I agree sir I agree and never would i ever think of having a silver top on the car

Quote:
Gogiji, I think u should seriously think before giving a BLUE-WHITE or BLUE-SILVER Combo.......

Because, in inappropriate light conditions, some people might confuse it with a Cool Cab. The photos below will illustrate my point to an extent. So voted for wine red

Firstly Salil, STOP with the Ji one more Ji out of you and ill colour it "Rani Pink with an Orange top". . Secondly i think the blue shade is very different from the cool cab's blue as Moralfibre correctly pointed out. and if I do colour it blue and if i do get hailed as a cool cab, what the heck, ill make an extra buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Lol.. I think salil has a point Gogi!
My vote goes to the midnite blue (assuming this is the darker shade) - white combo!
I kinda love the midnite blue too so lets see where the poll gets us. I will also refer to the poll a day before the paint is to be decided with my paint guy and decide and let all of you guys know about it. It should be the paint that the majority decides (i hope its the blue)

Quote:
agreed, many people might confuse it with a taxi...like people confuse my triumph with a bullet....it has its advatages you know...no evil eye on it...im this close to putting bullet badges on my bike!
so V-16, blue and white is a great idea...you can recover your petrol costs everytime you take the car out by giving someone a ride!
Yeah I know that one but then its not meant for them is it. Its a personal thing.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:25   #219
Senior - BHPian

just back from a visit to the garage. Today the guy had fitted the side pattis and was aligning them. The engine has been sent for checking and necessary repairs if needed. He said that he would put a shalimar sheet on the flooring after "Wurth"ing the flooring as it would further prevent rust as well as would be qa good insulant. The small dents have been sorted out and the car will be taken on tomorrow for red oxide (asstar in garage lingo) and then zinc primer before sanding and painting it. The seats will be sent to my guy on Monday. I need inputs from al of you regards what the original seat were like. I had thiought of a faux leather seats, matching in colour with the exterior, with white outline piping. Please gimme your views on this. whether original or a custom job.
Old 29th June 2007, 18:47   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly Salil, STOP with the Ji one more Ji out of you and ill colour it "Rani Pink with an Orange top".
NO NO NO.... Mods please edit my posts and remove that dreaded suffix from all posts. By the way that suffix (which i can't type otherwise the consequences will be disastrous) rhymed wonderfully with your name and it was my means of conveying respect to u.

Anyway, back to topic...

I think that now your car is at a very crucial stage, you make a separate post clearly stating how you would like it to be in the end.

i.e.,
1) Would you like it to be a 100% classic? OR
2) A Slightly modernised classic, i.e., a few modern bits thrown like some accessories while remaining faithful to the original at the same time? OR
3) A slightly pimped up fiat but still with original exteriors?

By going through ur posts, I think you are inclined towards option 2 to an extent.

The big guns like moralfibre, karlosdeville and so on are always there to help you (along with some tiny inputs from people like me with limited knowledge) because I think that if you don't mention your requirements clearly, you'll be continuosly bombarded with an overtly broad range of suggestions which will do nothing but increase your confusion.

If this post has added to that confusion, ignore it

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 29th June 2007 at 18:48.
Old 29th June 2007, 19:36   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I need inputs from al of you regards what the original seat were like. I had thiought of a faux leather seats, matching in colour with the exterior, with white outline piping. Please gimme your views on this. whether original or a custom job.
the faux leather/vinyl is the right material to use...looks great.

As for colours, you can never go wrong with black. I would personally recommend a darker shade of blue compared to the body colour (assuming its the lighter blue), with ivory piping. Matching the colour of the seats to the body is near impossible, and will look cheap later. SO always go for contrasting shades of same colour

here are a few seats as design and pattern reference...all of the following are factory fitted.

note the stitching pattern on the pic below...typical Fiat, looks very neat.

A very important part is the cool net and ash trays at the rear of the front seats. Do you have them? Ill start looking for them otherwise. Also note pattern of door panels. Again, typical Fiat.

You could even go for a two tone combo like this one.

Old 29th June 2007, 23:49   #222
BHPian

Suggestion for paint job

I suggest that you try a very high gloss 2K Prussian Blue and Pearl white on the roof combination. Super Selects earlier came with this combo and I can guarantee you that its gonna end up lookin unique and awesum.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:47   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NO NO NO.... rhymed wonderfully with your name and it was my means of conveying respect to u.
Anyway, back to topic...

I think that now your car is at a very crucial stage, you make a separate post clearly stating how you would like it to be in the end.

i.e.,
1) Would you like it to be a 100% classic? OR
2) A Slightly modernised classic, i.e., a few modern bits thrown like some accessories while remaining faithful to the original at the same time? OR
3) A slightly pimped up fiat but still with original exteriors?

By going through ur posts, I think you are inclined towards option 2 to an extent.

The big guns like moralfibre, karlosdeville and so on are always there to help you (along with some tiny inputs from people like me with limited knowledge) because I think that if you don't mention your requirements clearly, you'll be continuosly bombarded with an overtly broad range of suggestions which will do nothing but increase your confusion.

If this post has added to that confusion, ignore it

Thanks Salil I know and appreciate the respect but adding Ji makes me feel 1000 years old man!! Thats why. No other issues.
Yes you're right. option 2 is more what im trying to achieve here. I want the car absolutely original from the outside and with very few mods maybe FFE and an a/c at the most.
Rims will have to be original with original Ceat white walls.

Quote:
the faux leather/vinyl is the right material to use...looks great.

As for colours, you can never go wrong with black. I would personally recommend a darker shade of blue compared to the body colour (assuming its the lighter blue), with ivory piping. Matching the colour of the seats to the body is near impossible, and will look cheap later. SO always go for contrasting shades of same colour

here are a few seats as design and pattern reference...all of the following are factory fitted.

note the stitching pattern on the pic below...typical Fiat, looks very neat.

A very important part is the cool net and ash trays at the rear of the front seats. Do you have them? Ill start looking for them otherwise. Also note pattern of door panels. Again, typical Fiat.

You could even go for a two tone combo like this one.

Thanks for the pics Karl.
I thought so too, faux leather with a white piping would be great in original stitching pattern. Same on the side panels too...lets see.
When I said match the colours to the paint i did mean in a lighter shade or contrasting. Id die before i got the same colour upholstery

I think i do have the ash trays but ill check tomorrow and get back to you.

Last edited by V-16 : 30th June 2007 at 00:48. Reason: add
Old 30th June 2007, 00:51   #224
Senior - BHPian

How about all beige upholstery? Would go pretty well with the blue-white combo.
Very Elvis
Old 30th June 2007, 00:57   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
How about all beige upholstery? Would go pretty well with the blue-white combo.
Very Elvis
It sure would. As would a diffrent, lighter shade, of blue with a white piping or the opposite, as you suggested, with blue piping. I am in many minds now, if you'll excuse the exagerration

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks