Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 11th November 2020, 02:37   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
Thanks Praveen, The restoration work on the Morris Minor is really fantastic, with great attention to detail, I quiet liked the choice of color and the beautifully done engine bay, very neat. The chrome work is very bright , I really liked it, and appreciate the reference for Krishna, will decide on the topic nearer the time .
I have a 1938 Austin 12/4 parked at home, it went through a partial restoration in 2007, but since its not being used, the car has become a mess again, once you have done up the car, please ensure that it is regularly driven, atleast once in a week or ten days, otherwise rats and rodents are unforgiving, I learnt it the hard way.
Thanks and regards
Clement
Hi Clement,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Whenever you get to the chrome bits, if you need help please PM me.

You are absolutely right, these automobiles need to be driven often to keep them in good condition. Vinty is driven religiously (albeit a short 3-4 kms drive) every Saturday morning before being parked back into the garage. Also, we have some anti-rodent stuff placed around the garage to try and keep the vermin away.

Cheers,
Praveen
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 06:48   #17

I have the highest respect for you. Such a fantastic job to what might have seemed like an impossible task!!!

Good luck cannot wait to see the end result.
Hondaboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:31   #18
BHPian

The Tank and the toolbox transfers have arrived from the UK , the UK has gone into another round of lockdown, was lucky enough to have placed the order when i did, however two of my parcels are still pending postage from UK, but they can wait.
The quality, sharpness and depth of color of these transfers are very good, I used the services of a firm called Classic Transfers, I had previously also used their services when restoring my 1950 Triumph 3T, 1949 Matchless G3LS and the 1938 BSA M20.
This time i had placed the order for the Douglas T35 and the next project that i intend to start soon as this one is completed, Its a 1960 MV Augusta 235 Tevere, this is also a very rare Italian motorcycle, its a running motorcycle and requires very little in way of mechanical work but in dire need of cosmetic work. More about it later.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5551.jpg  

cjt2012 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:47   #19
BHPian

The Bend Pipe and Exhaust Muffler

Christmas holidays provided the time for the major job of taking the motorcycle to get the bend pipe and exhaust muffler fabricated and fitted.
The fabrication of the bend pipe and final fitting was carried out at International Exhaust Systems Pune, while the Muffler was fabricated at Aashu Engineering works Pune, and they are real masters in this field and they did a brilliant job.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5958.jpg  

Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5961.jpg  

Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5962.jpg  

Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5963.jpg  

Restoration: 1948 Douglas T35 Mk3 Sports Motorcycle-img_5964.jpg  

cjt2012 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 19:18   #20
BHPian

It's really coming together now! Eagerly awaiting your next update.

Any plan to start a thread on your Austin 12/4 ? Would love to see pictures of it.
Old 1st January 2021, 22:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
This time i had placed the order for the Douglas T35 and the next project that i intend to start soon as this one is completed, Its a 1960 MV Augusta 235 Tevere, this is also a very rare Italian motorcycle, its a running motorcycle and requires very little in way of mechanical work but in dire need of cosmetic work. More about it later.
Hi Clement.

Just chanced up on this, Great work, and the patience with which you have been going about it is really amazing

Joji and I have been talking about the MVA. Yes from what I have seen in the pics, compared to the Douglas the MVA is going to be a cake walk for you, I am sure

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post
It's really coming together now! Eagerly awaiting your next update.

Any plan to start a thread on your Austin 12/4 ? Would love to see pictures of it.
Thanks for the encouraging words, itís really nice to see it coming together.

With reference to the Austin 12/4 , it had actually been through a partial restoration between 2007 and 2010 to get it up and running, however the quality of the restoration at the time was nowhere close to being anything worth writing about, there were also a few wrong decisions which I made during the earlier attempt , specially with regard to the body work ( like removing the sun roof , not incorporating the trafficator into the pillar ) , I will attribute those mistakes to not doing a thorough research before starting the project,I have kept it as a future project when I have more time at hand, and will be definitely focusing on getting it as close as possible back to the original trim. I will start a thread here when I get going on that project again.
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Clement.

Just chanced up on this, Great work, and the patience with which you have been going about it is really amazing

Joji and I have been talking about the MVA. Yes from what I have seen in the pics, compared to the Douglas the MVA is going to be a cake walk for you, I am sure

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram
Hi Ram,
Itís really nice to hear from you,
Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement.

Yes , as you rightly said, the MVA is going to be easier as itís a running motorcycle, however parts for it are also few and far apart, another issue I am facing with the Agusta is the lack of the service and parts manual which I have not been able to source yet, some other Agusta models manuals of the same period are available in PDF on the internet , itís invariably written in Italian and worse than useless for me. I have joined a few forums and I am hoping some help will come from it, In any case I am not intending on starting the project until I do a thorough research
Regards
Clement

Most Viewed