Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 08:06   #1

60's Mercedes in India?

Hi there,

I bought a 61 Mercedes 220S about a year ago- and it's currently in a workshop undergoing some TLC. I'm also changing the Matador engine (uuuugh) that the last owner put in and replacing it with a 240D diesel engine.
I'm keen to hear from other owners and understand where you guys pick up your parts from. BTW I'm based in Bangalore. Hope to hear from you folks.

BTW Are there any Mercedes Pagoda's in India?

Cheers
Boban
Old 10th April 2007, 17:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Boban

Maybe this thread would help you out : Linky
Old 10th April 2007, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Boban

Interesting profile there - Welcome to TBHP and where's Molly?
Old 10th April 2007, 17:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hello, welcome aboard. How about a real intro?

Who's Molly?

Yes, I've seen a couple being restored in Mumbai, and a red one being driven around in Bangalore.
Old 10th April 2007, 18:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi Boban welcome to the forum. Nice car you have there. Can we get some pictures?

Here is a 1967 Mercedes 200 Heckflosse - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-626.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Who's Molly?
Its about a cartoon in Malayalam - Boban and Molly.
Old 10th April 2007, 18:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ah yes, of course. I should have remembered...
Old 10th April 2007, 21:51   #7

Hello to all!

Hi folks

Thanks for the warm welcome and for extending the same to Molly as well:-). My car is undergoing some restoration at a workshop in B'lore- basically I'm getting the subframe mounts and suspension changed, replacing the matador engine with a Mercedes one, repainting and redoing the upholstery. The interiors were a bit tacky when I got the car and I never took a liking to the colour that the car came in- Moss green, not original. I'm tossing a coin between Mercedes Medium Red and Medium Blue. The better half votes for the blue and I'm for the red.

Well good to see an enthusiastic bunch of people out here and look forward to exchanging some tools and tips. Oh yes...I'll share the pics soon!

Cheers
Boban
Old 11th April 2007, 11:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

sounds great, do keep us posted on the restoration...

There are a handfull of pagoda tops in the country...I only know of 2 in bombay...

Cheers
Karl
Old 1st May 2007, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi, just thought ill add to your thread... have just started restoring a 1958 Mercedes Benz 190D (Ponton) for a friend of mine. The car was transported from punjab to my workshop in Delhi in a truck. The owner is a great enthusiast and wants the car to be in perfect condition. I guess since now i have posted about it, lets get the work started today heh!

Cheers,

Arush
Old 8th May 2007, 06:01   #10

Hi Arush

that's great to hear! Where in Delhi is your workshop? I'm planning to visit Delhi in June, would be great to drop by and see your workshop.

Thanks
Boban
Old 5th May 2011, 18:02   #11

Re: 60's Mercedes in India?

Dear Boban. I have a W110 , 62 model which i like to replace matador with a 240D engine. trying to transport an engine from abroad, not sure if I can get a good engine in.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:02   #12
BHPian

Re: Hello to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie366 View Post
Hi folks

Thanks for the warm welcome and for extending the same to Molly as well:-). My car is undergoing some restoration at a workshop in B'lore- basically I'm getting the subframe mounts and suspension changed, replacing the matador engine with a Mercedes one, repainting and redoing the upholstery. The interiors were a bit tacky when I got the car and I never took a liking to the colour that the car came in- Moss green, not original. I'm tossing a coin between Mercedes Medium Red and Medium Blue. The better half votes for the blue and I'm for the red.

Well good to see an enthusiastic bunch of people out here and look forward to exchanging some tools and tips. Oh yes...I'll share the pics soon!

Cheers
Boban
Good to hear about another merc being restored,i think blue will be a good choice,unless you have a damn good denter/tinker person and you body lines are perfect,also why dont you try to search what was the original shade of the car,may be the vin number can help,
Old 11th May 2011, 18:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Good to hear about another merc being restored,i think blue will be a good choice,unless you have a damn good denter/tinker person and you body lines are perfect,also why dont you try to search what was the original shade of the car,may be the vin number can help,
What happened to the updates on this car? It stopped nearly 4 years back. If the owner is still around I can help with parts sourcing. I am also restoring a 1961 220S but with original engine, and sourcing most parts from India.

Prithvi
Old 6th August 2011, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
What happened to the updates on this car? It stopped nearly 4 years back. If the owner is still around I can help with parts sourcing. I am also restoring a 1961 220S but with original engine, and sourcing most parts from India.

Prithvi
@mbz180, can you please share the details of the workshop in Bangalore to service used Mercs as you have mentioned in one of the Vintage Cars thread

Most Viewed