Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 19:35   #1
BHPian

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper

Hello folks! Hope you are doing well and keeping safe.

This is a quick thread on my ownership of a Rover Mini Cooper (1996), a.k.a “Winston”. Since the Mini is one of the icons of the motoring world, I thought I must start with a quick history of the Mini and the events that led to the creation of this car.

DISCLAIMER: A lot of my understanding of the history of the Mini is from a wonderful book by Giles Chapman – Mini (60 years). Full credits to the author/publishers of this book, including facts and especially images.

Name:  Book Front.GIF
Views: 7976
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  Book Rear.GIF
Views: 7973
Size:  92.9 KB

The Suez Crisis and the need for a new breed of cars

Back in the 1950s, British roads were peppered with reasonably decent cars such as the Morris Minor, Austin A30 and the Ford 100E Anglia.

However, all this changed with the withdrawal of British troops from the Suez Canal in 1957. This led to a massive shortage of fuel supply. This brought about the need for a new car that could operate on the very barest of resources.

Designing a car like no other

While Sir Alec Issigonis (who also designed the hugely popular Morris Minor) and his team were in truly unchartered waters, they were clear, right from the onset, about what they were building. Issigonis knew for a fact that this would be a small car, yet spacious enough to seat 4 adults along with luggage. He wanted 80% of the interior space to be provided to passengers and luggage.

In order to keep the footprint of the car small – he decided that the car would be no more than 10 feet in length. With such a small footprint, the second requirement (of having to seat 4 adults along with luggage) was quite a challenge. The way he overcame this hurdle was simply brilliant.

Firstly, he decided that the 4 cylinder engine would be mounted transversely, feeding power directly to the front wheels. This was a first for the time as all cars had engines mounted front to back (and powered the rear wheels). The transverse engine immediately freed up space. The next challenge was the gearbox, which was normally mounted behind the engine – again eating into the cabin space. Issigonis decided that the gearbox would be mounted under the engine, thereby freeing up further space in the cabin.

Next, the wheels – these were pushed outwards to the extremities of the car. This not only resulted in more interior space but had a remarkably positive impact on the overall handling of the car.

Finally, the doors/windows. Issigonis was obsessed with maximising cabin space and therefore decided that roll-down windows would need additional space in the door pads for the glass and the wind-up mechanism. Hence, the Original Mini came with sliding windows for the doors. The rear windows would only bevel out to let air in. This directly translated into massively deep door pockets.

For a car so small, it was unbelievably spacious on the inside. Such was the result of his obsession towards space saving.

Here are some early designs of Issigonis’ brain child.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-issigonic-sketch.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini-side-view.gif

Copyright: Author/Publisher of Mini – 60 years

The cut-out view clearly shows the 80%-space-to-passengers-and-luggage concept.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini-cutout.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini-cutout-2.gif

A brief timeline of the Mini

The first Mini was launched in 1959 as the Austin Se7en and the Morris Mini-Minor. The car took the motoring world by storm and was received with wide-eyed amazement. It was a brilliantly designed car with extremely compact exterior dimensions that could swallow up a lot of luggage and seat 4 adults comfortably.

Name:  Austin Seven.GIF
Views: 7625
Size:  92.3 KB

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-morris-mini-minor.gif

It handled like absolutely nothing on the roads at the time. Motoring journalists who drove the car just could not stop raving about how brilliantly it handled, even though it only had an 899cc engine putting out a modest 43bhp.

The Mini became an instant hit and went on to become hugely popular over the next 60 years (and still counting)! It wasn’t just the most common car in Britain, but was the popular choice of celebrities around the world. Everyone wanted to own a Mini!

Over the years, many variants of the Mini were launched, including the Cooper S, launched in 1961, with a beefed up engine/mechanicals and twin carbs. These went on to win the Monte Carlo rally, beating much larger and more powerful cars. To this day, these early day Cooper Ss are the most sought after and are worth a huge amount of money.

Here’s a picture of the original Austin Mini Cooper S.

Name:  Mini Cooper S.GIF
Views: 7487
Size:  184.0 KB

Many decades and many models rolled by. Rover owned and manufactured the Mini and sales were declining sharply. In the early 1990s, Rover decided to bring back the Cooper brand and launched the Rover Mini Cooper (and the Mini Cooper Sport) with a 1.3L MPI engine, pushing out 63bhp. The car once again again resurrected the fading interest in the brand and these were scooped up instantly. Here’s a picture of the mid 90s Rover Mini Cooper.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-1990-mini-cooper.gif

This is the exact model of the Mini that I bought! More on this in the next section.

In 1997, BMW finally bought Rover out. While they decided to get rid of most of Rover’s brands/models, they realised that the Mini was a brand name with huge potential. They therefore retained the Mini brand and started working on a complete redesign of the Mini. This was finally launched as the BMW Mini in 2001 and this car, like its predecessor, took the world by storm.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-bmw-mini.gif

From then onwards, there has been no looking back for BMW with the Mini. While the cars have gotten bigger and bigger over the years, a Mini/Mini Cooper is still considered one of the most stylish and recognisable cars and continues to sell in huge numbers globally.

More to come...
51morris is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:44   #2
BHPian

re: Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper

Introducing Winston, my 1996 Mini Cooper

I was fortunate to find a wonderful and very original Mini Cooper. This was owned by a kind lady who bought it in 1996 and did 42000 gentle miles in it.

Here are some pictures of the car – more to follow!

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-front-right.gif

Name:  Rear left.GIF
Views: 7205
Size:  189.0 KB

What makes a car truly special is the way it has been looked after. With this Mini, it was clear that the lady loved her car. Such was her passion and love for the car that I was handed over a briefcase full of paperwork. It was only when I started going through it in detail did I realise what a time capsule I was fortunate to get my hands on!

This is the folder containing all the documentation.

Name:  Folder.GIF
Views: 7140
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  Folder inside.GIF
Views: 7122
Size:  173.1 KB

The documents are clearly categorised as “Mini Purchase”, “MOT” (yearly fitness certificate in the UK), “Service”, etc

Name:  Folder organisation.GIF
Views: 7091
Size:  142.9 KB

When I looked through the “Mini Purchase” folder, I was shocked to see the following:
  • Original brochure that was handed over to her when she went to the showroom
  • Original sales receipt dated 24-Oct-1996
  • Original booklet with
  • Original instruction manuals
  • AA roadside assistance membership cards

Original Invoice:

Name:  Invoice.GIF
Views: 7038
Size:  131.9 KB

Showroom brochures:

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-brochures.gif

Handbook that came with the car:

Name:  Carbook.GIF
Views: 6994
Size:  111.9 KB

Instruction manuals and warranty cards:

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-car-book-inside.gif

Next up was the MOT folder and this contains original certificates of EVERY SINGLE MOT done in the past 25 years, all arranged in chronological order

Name:  MOT.GIF
Views: 6947
Size:  135.2 KB

Then there is the TAX folder – again, every tax reminder and tax-paid receipts for the past 25 years! In the UK, before road tax went online, there used to be a tax disc provided to the owner, which had to be stuck onto the windshield, clearly visible to the rozzers from the outside. The car comes with every single tax disc from 2004 to 2015!

Name:  Road Tax.GIF
Views: 6917
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  Tax disc.GIF
Views: 6903
Size:  139.2 KB

Finally, service history – this folder contains receipts of every single service or repair done on the car. A nice surprise in this folder were letters of correspondence between the lady and the dealership. These were complaints that were sent to the dealership for shoddy washing of the car post service and the dealership’s apology in response!

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-service.gif

I have not come across too many cars with such history and so much paperwork. Each time I look at the car, it just makes me feel so proud to own this piece of British motoring history.

I was even handed over two sets of original keys and each set came with the original immobiliser fob.

This is an unrestored car, lovingly preserved in its original condition. Whilst most of the car (99%, I’d say) is in fantastic condition, the fact that it is unrestored and was genuinely used as a daily runner, there are tiny bits that will eventually need work. I’d rather own a genuine car like this than one that has had a nut and bolt restoration, thereby losing its originality completely.

More to come...

Last edited by Aditya : 6th June 2022 at 20:31. Reason: As requested.
51morris is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:58   #3
BHPian

Here are more pictures of the car.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-front-right.gif

Name:  Rear left.GIF
Views: 6773
Size:  189.0 KB

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-front-close-up.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-front-right-close-up.gif

Name:  Front.GIF
Views: 6759
Size:  159.0 KB

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-rear-2.gif

The classic pin stripes and the Mini Cooper motif.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini-cooper-motif.gif

The MPI Minis (with the 1.3L engines) came with quite a busy engine bay - significantly reducing easy access to components!

Name:  Engine 1.GIF
Views: 6749
Size:  145.3 KB

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-engine-2.gif

The boot holds a petrol tank (semi circular), the spare wheel, the battery and the windscreen washer fluid.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-boot-1.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-boot-3.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-boot-2.gif

The Coopers came with alloy "Mini Lite" wheels with the Mini Cooper motif.

Name:  Wheel.GIF
Views: 6615
Size:  133.7 KB

It really is astonishing how small the Mini really is! Here it is, next to my daily driver – a 2019 6th Gen VW Polo (a modern day small car!)

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-vw-mini-1.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-vw-mini-rear.gif

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-vw-mini-side.gif

Some random (edited) shots of the Mini.

Name:  Harvester 2.GIF
Views: 6586
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  Harvester.GIF
Views: 6564
Size:  183.0 KB

Finally, a set of small upgrades I have done since I bought it.

I came across (on ebay) a wonderful seller who was selling black inserts for the rear lights, in the shape of the Union Jack. A bit tricky to install but totally transforms the rear end of the car. Especially coupled with the Union Jack emblem on the boot, I love the way the car looks from the rear.

Name:  Rear light.GIF
Views: 6543
Size:  167.3 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear 2.GIF
Views:	114
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	2186843

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174820527801

Mini Cooper dust caps for the wheels.

Name:  Wheel cap.GIF
Views: 6436
Size:  136.6 KB

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291810809344

Since the radio in the car is the factory original, I did not want to change/upgrade this. However, I still wanted the convenience of having a handsfree unit for music and phone calls. I therefore got a 12v socket installed and an FM Transmitter on the car. This works like a charm for music and calls, whilst still retaining the originality of the car. The FM transmitter power adapter also comes with 2 USB ports (Quick Charge 3.0A and 5A). This is hugely helpful tor charging devices on the go.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TFDPCT5

More to come...
51morris is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:09   #4
BHPian

The interiors are a nice and surprisingly spacious place to be in!

Name:  View from drivers door.GIF
Views: 6388
Size:  163.2 KB

Name:  View from passenger door.GIF
Views: 6398
Size:  153.9 KB

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-cockpit-view.gif

This variant came with a beautiful wooden dash.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-dash.gif

Fantastic all round visibility due to the wafer thin pillars!

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-full-interior.gif

Beautiful leather-wrapped Mini Cooper steering with a single airbag

Name:  Steering.GIF
Views: 6322
Size:  147.6 KB

Gorgeous speedo console (looks even better at night with the backlighting)

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-speedo.gif

Original heater, radio/cassette player, clock and leather wrapped gear shifter.

Name:  Radio heater gear.GIF
Views: 6573
Size:  143.2 KB

Original speakers.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-speakers.gif

Rear windows.

Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-rear-window.gif

The front seats fold to allow access to the rear seats.

Name:  Front seat folding.GIF
Views: 6211
Size:  162.9 KB

Driving the Original Mini and ownership experience

While the saying “its like a go-kart with a roof” sounds like a cliché, it is the most accurate description of the feel of driving a classic Mini. The 1.3L 63bhp engine is a hoot-and-a-half to drive! The car only weight 700kgs, so the way it picks up speed is amazing. Especially when revved, the exhaust note turns throaty, urging the driver to give it some more!

The “point and squirt” steering is like nothing else I have ever driven. One must only think about a corner and the Mini carves it to perfection. Roundabouts are my favourite these days and I can simply throw the car at any corner and the Mini will come out the other side effortlessly. It is quite simply motoring pleasure in the purest form.

The original Minis (Austin and later Rover) were carburetted till about 1990. Post this, Rover switched to Multi Point fuel injection. My Mini is a 1.3L MPI and this makes the car a true “twist the key and go”. Far more reliable than the carburetted Minis (although purists may strongly disagree!) and easier to live with.

The Mini was literally everywhere in Britain in the 70s and 80s and over the years it has a cult following like no other. The upshot of it all is ridiculously easy parts availability. This naturally means dirt cheap prices for spare parts. An entire clutch assembly for the Mini is only Ł160! Owning a Classic Mini is not too difficult on the pocket if you are willing to get yours hands greasy AND you have a reliable mechanic who can help with the more complicated bits.

I hope to bring Wiston back to India eventually and park it next to Vinty, my 1951 Series MM Morris Minor. Now that's what I would call a very British garage!

Hope this brief write-up about the history of this motoring icon made for an interesting read. I will keep this thread updated with my long term ownership experience as I enjoy every moment behind the wheel of Winston!

Cheers and stay safe, everyone!
Praveen
51morris is offline   (106) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your Mini. Your love and enthusiasm for the car shows through in your thread. And that his tory of the Mini was enchanting to go through. eagerly looking forward to reading more and viewing many more photos of both the Austin Cooper and MYB 2900.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 00:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations on your Mini. Your love and enthusiasm for the car shows through in your thread. And that his tory of the Mini was enchanting to go through. eagerly looking forward to reading more and viewing many more photos of both the Austin Cooper and MYB 2900.
Thank you, Narayan! So pleased to see you remembered the reg number of the Morris!

Cheers,
Praveen
51morris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Re: Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper

What a pleasure to read this one, can only imagine the pleasure of owning one - hearty congratulations! The lady is truly inspirational in showing the love for the car by preserving everything over a period of time. Lovely!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is said that every enthusiast must own a Mini at some point of time in their lives. I must say that you have gotten one of the Minis, in my favourite spec that too. I love that little chuckable car. She must be a joy to drive on the B roads.

Quote:
It really is astonishing how small the Mini really is! Here it is, next to my daily driver – a 2019 6th Gen VW Polo (a modern day small car!)
Cars have grown so much over the years (related thread).

I would frankly love to drive a small car from back in the day than the modern small cars.
ChiragM is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:21   #9
BHPian

What a lovely piece of British history there. A big round of applause for the lovely lady who has maintained the car in such a pristine condition.

I'm so sure you must be loving it for your Sunday morning coffee runs, a head turner if you ask me. Also, if you have some spare time, do create an Instagram page for your mini, would love to read through your amazing drives.

Wishing you many happy miles on this one.
EshanS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:33   #10
BHPian

What a beautiful example!

I am a big fan of "Less is more" cars. I wish you lots of happy miles with this beauty.
shree_shell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that indeed is a Mini!! Such a small cute looking car. Loved the crisp review too. Can you also share the specs of the car? Would be interesting to see the power figures and the dimensions of the legend. Thank you.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Enjoyed reading this thread. Indeed, one of the most adorable automobiles ever. Your car appears to have just rolled out from the showroom .
It reminds me of Top Gear, India Special, where Richard Hammond drove a similar looking Mini.
Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini-cooper.jpg
Winston - My '96 Rover Mini Cooper-mini.jpg
Source

Last edited by Fateh Salim : 2nd August 2021 at 13:05.
Fateh Salim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:31   #13
BHPian

What an absolute stunner!!! The Mini along with the Cinquecento, 2CV and the Beetle are among my favourite cars ever. Absolutely beautiful designs merged with great practicality. Form and function with oodles of charm. Have to say you’re one lucky guy to have found a specimen so loved and cared for.

Can’t get over that dash and all that wood combined with a steering wheel with an airbag and a music system. What a combination of timeless class and modern convenience and safety.

Thank you for sharing.
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
It is said that every enthusiast must own a Mini at some point of time in their lives. I must say that you have gotten one of the Minis, in my favourite spec that too. I love that little chuckable car. She must be a joy to drive on the B roads.

I would frankly love to drive a small car from back in the day than the modern small cars.
Thank you, Chirag! The Mini is an absolute delight to drive on B roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
What a lovely piece of British history there. A big round of applause for the lovely lady who has maintained the car in such a pristine condition.

I'm so sure you must be loving it for your Sunday morning coffee runs, a head turner if you ask me. Also, if you have some spare time, do create an Instagram page for your mini, would love to read through your amazing drives.

Wishing you many happy miles on this one.
Thanks, Eshan! It indeed is a head-turner and attracts a lot of attention when I drive it around London. Most people who come up to speak to me about it almost always say "I had one of these"/"I learnt how to drive in a Mini"/etc. Almost everyone had a Mini at some point in time, it almost seems!

I do plan to get on Instagram and create a page for Winston. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
What a pleasure to read this one, can only imagine the pleasure of owning one - hearty congratulations! The lady is truly inspirational in showing the love for the car by preserving everything over a period of time. Lovely!
Thank you, Ameet! Indeed, hats off to the lady for the way she has preserved the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
What a beautiful example!

I am a big fan of "Less is more" cars. I wish you lots of happy miles with this beauty.
Thanks a lot, Shree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Wow, that indeed is a Mini!! Such a small cute looking car. Loved the crisp review too. Can you also share the specs of the car? Would be interesting to see the power figures and the dimensions of the legend. Thank you.
Thanks, Raghu! Here are some key specs:
  • Displacement: 1,273 cc (1.3L)
  • Cylinders: 4, Inline
  • Power: 63 bhp
  • Torque: 95Nm
  • Gearbox: 4-speed manual
  • Brakes (front): Discs
  • Brakes (rear): Drum
  • Curb weight: 700kgs
  • Length: 3100mm
  • Width: 1440mm
  • Boot capacity: 120L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
Enjoyed reading this thread. Indeed, one of the most adorable automobiles ever. Your car appears to have just rolled out from the showroom .
It reminds me of Top Gear, India Special, where Richard Hammond drove a similar looking Mini.
Attachment 2187275
Attachment 2187276
Source
Thanks, Salim! You are right - Hammond did drive a Mini Cooper on the India Special of Top Gear. The particular one he drove was the Mini Cooper Sport, which had the same engine/mechanicals but with 4 spot lamps in front, body coloured wheel arches and some additional guages on the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
What an absolute stunner!!! The Mini along with the Cinquecento, 2CV and the Beetle are among my favourite cars ever. Absolutely beautiful designs merged with great practicality. Form and function with oodles of charm. Have to say you’re one lucky guy to have found a specimen so loved and cared for.

Can’t get over that dash and all that wood combined with a steering wheel with an airbag and a music system. What a combination of timeless class and modern convenience and safety.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks, RT13!

Never driven/sat in a 2CV, but the Cinquecento and the Beetle are on my favorites list too (after, of course, the Mini!).

Last edited by 51morris : 2nd August 2021 at 16:03.
51morris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 17:41   #15
BHPian

Those pictures are a joy to behold! The original Mini is one of my dad's favorite and I really hope to own one when I can afford to have a second car though it would probably be vintage piece of art by then!

Congrats on the purchase
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks