Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2007, 11:47   #1
BHPian

What Model Fiat is this?

Hey Vintagers, found this beauty near my vicinity, i dont what year of make it is? if any body can throw some light on this model. It had a logo read Written fiat on it. The Bonnet has a Map of Maharashtra.

]ImageShack® - Hosting

If the Images are not visible.. please tell me... i tried to use the image shack before that went through the procedures which GTO has marked in the announcement sections. MODs please help me to post this pics (1st timer) if its not visible.

Sorry for the Image quality, taken by my friend with a Sony Ericcson K550i 2.0Mp camera , probably he din know how to go to night vision. Sorry once again

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 19th May 2007 at 11:49.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sohail,

Its an early 50s Fiat 500c, aka "bug" fiat, a very popular but rare model among fiats. Hema malini is also said to've owned one of these at one point of time.
Uh, 'wish the pics. were bigger/clearer but looks like it still has its soft-top on...'wonder why the map on the bonnet?? Maybe the owner's new to MH & afraid of getting lost...?? LOL!
Old 19th May 2007, 23:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is a Fiat 500 IMHO and why is the image so small did you resize it?
Old 20th May 2007, 05:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Its a late forties fiat also called "baby" fiat fondly but the pics are too unclear.. These models came also with a ragtop and had quaint handles like long verticle pull out kinds.
More light can be thrown by our "Fiatman" Karl "Fiat" Bothe. What do you say Karl?

Last edited by V-16 : 20th May 2007 at 05:44.
Old 20th May 2007, 20:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

thats a fiat 500 allright...a second generation topolino, which im told is italian for mouse...frankly, i dont see the resemblance!

if i remember correctly, the car belongs to one mr merchant, from lonavala, who used to regularly frequent the rally scene...i think it had a BMZ registration...havent seen the car since 2000, so dunno what happened to it...im assuming the map of maharashtra is a trip hes had or going to have...

heres my grandparents with my dad and his brother and their prized fiat in madras in the mid 50s...my grandmother drove that car long distance on many an occasion...

EDIT: yup, most of them did have the ragtop mechanism, sadly not that easily spotted today in india...plus those quirky pull out door handles are visible in the pics. They were kind of like a semaphore indicator actually.

this one (or whats left of it) was up for sale a coupla years back with 2 more in varying states of disrepair...this one was reportedly hema malinis....

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th May 2007 at 20:37.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Karl, Fiat is hiring people who could give them history lessons . Nice car there but it would have done better without the silly wheelcaps. Although cant make out details on the car from the pictures.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Nice car there but it would have done better without the silly wheelcaps. Although cant make out details on the car from the pictures.
yeah, would have loved clearer pics. Actually the car had a flimsier set of 3 spoke plastic wheelcovers earlier...these are an improvement, believe it or not...!
Old 20th May 2007, 21:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat has released the new "retro" of this car.. aply called the "Nuovo 500"

Fiat 500 | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Old 21st May 2007, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, 'wish the pics. were bigger/clearer but looks like it still has its soft-top on...'wonder why the map on the bonnet?? Maybe the owner's new to MH & afraid of getting lost...?? LOL!
Wish the same Stanher, it was taken late in the night by my friends phone. Dont know y the Map was There??

@karloss: sorry for the Bad quality pics :(

@busa: yes i resized it , since it was not very clear.
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Looks like Its a late forties fiat also called "baby" fiat fondly
Paaji, as far as I know, it was called as "bug" fiat (excuse my being picky! )

PS- you in Canada now?
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
heres my grandparents with my dad and his brother and their prized fiat in madras in the mid 50s...my grandmother drove that car long distance on many an occasion...

Wooowww! And I thought their Herald was their first car! You sure are lucky that you're from a family that has had so many classics!
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh btw, sorry I forgot I've got some archived bug fiat photos too!
This one I'd seen a year ago at a local mechanic's here.....sold shortly after I took these photos....wasnt that original though as you can see!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd May 2007 at 23:58.
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:20   #13
BHPian

Re: What Model Fiat is this?

I am not sure if its the same car but a 1950s Topollino is being restored right now and will be added to one of the largest classic car collections in Mumbai. The collection already has a 1930/40s Topollino.

Most Viewed