Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

How about a Fiat 500

Ok Guyz i need your help, there is a vintage parked in a building next to mine, i was able to see that car from my bedroom and yesterday finally i was there in that building and i saw that car, it was Fiat 500 , there is a link below so you can check which car i am talking about.

http://www.giuliomotta.com/blog/medi...9_fiat_500.jpg

The car is in really bad state, its all rusted not used from ages i think. Now i was thinking to pick it up because i feel its very qute car. Now my only concern is how much the restoration (paint,tin work, tyers, interiors,engine, suspension etc etc ) will cost ??? and is it possible to source the parts for it ?

I will try to get the pics of that car ASAP.
But please pour in yoru suggestions.

Last edited by pdev29 : 22nd May 2007 at 18:11.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow I am happy that there are more vintage fans here. Pick it up for whatever you can give to the guy. Start with peanuts and set yourself a budget. Some pictures would do good to make a decision. Find out whether the owner is willing to sell or not in the first place. It will be tad difficult to convince the owner not to sell it to the local scrapyard.
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I got your poing moral but my concern is will i get parts for this car?,
How much the enitre restoration will cost?
And what about the paper work coz i am not sure wheather he has the papers or not?
I will try to speak with the owner and i will try to convince him, but guyz please let me know the apporx budget how much it should cost to rebuild this car.. i am reallly looking help from Karl,Moralfiber,Gogi and the others who has intrest in vintage cars. yeah i will really appreciate your inputs .
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
I got your poing moral but my concern is will i get parts for this car?,
Not in India but in chor bazaar mebbe. Try and speak to a few vintage car owners in Bombay. Gogi a.k.a. American V-16 is your best bet. He knows the history of most of Bombay cars. Your next best authority of the car is Karlosdeville. He will tell you the registration number even without asking any further details.

Quote:
How much the enitre restoration will cost?
Depends on how much you can spend. What I learned from restorers and people who get their cars restored is there is no limit to how much you can spend on restoration. Trust me. You cannot allocate a budget. Believe me its a never ending process. Take a look at the dedication it takes by seeing Karl's Beetle restoration. And the day it is done and you crank the car it brings you happiness that nothing else on this world does!

Quote:
And what about the paper work coz i am not sure wheather he has the papers or not?
Try to ensure that the papers are in order otherwise it becomes really difficult.

Quote:
but guyz please let me know the apporx budget how much it should cost to rebuild this car..
Try and post a few pictures of the current state and then Karl can assess he can tell you if the rubbers on the door are original or not by just seeing the pictures. He is a distinguished bhp-ian in my own view. Pester day lights out of him.
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for quick reply moral, i wil try to get some pics asap.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

sent u a pm bro. Im here to help you with whatever you want and whatever i can do for you!!
Old 24th May 2007, 13:38   #7
BANNED

Come on man! Restore it.
It will be a bit difficult to get it done but is a great pleasure which cannot be described in words.

Keep us posted with pics and updates.
Old 24th May 2007, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks Guyz,
I will try to get the pics and the cost asap may be on saturday or sunday.
Old 25th May 2007, 05:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is what it could look like after restoration.. Go ahead bro..

I love the paint job

Godfather
Old 25th May 2007, 17:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Godfather, the pic you have posted its of a fiat 500 but the car which i have seen i think its a different varient of 500 coz the rear of the car is something like this.
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...ous/musee8.JPG

Today i have tried to talk with the owner but got to know he is not contactable, just got to know that owner himself is an enthu. about all these kind of beauties. but nobody is ready to give any information about him, and they said he will not sell the car. the worst part is they dont want to provide the name of the owner.

just to let you know guyz, its a 1953 model fiat 500.

i am really trying to get the owners information coz watchman said,there are many people coming to enquire about the car so i really wanna get in touch with the owner before somebody else do that.

I will keep you guyz posted about it.
Old 25th May 2007, 17:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wasn't the Fiat 500 Schumacher's first car?
Old 25th May 2007, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes RT it was and in recent times Luca D Montezmolo also gifted him one for his contribution to the Ferrari team.
Old 25th May 2007, 17:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had bought a 1977 model Fiat-600 from the delhi stc in '81 costed me 75000 at that time. had it for 3 years, was always a pain to drive, no power, no ac, no good seating,aircooled engine, wife refused to sit in it!sold it that time for 55000, someone from hyderabad took it!!
though different generation the Smart-800cdi is too good.
Old 25th May 2007, 18:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
@Godfather, the pic you have posted its of a fiat 500 but the car which i have seen i think its a different varient of 500 coz the rear of the car is something like this.
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...ous/musee8.JPG

just to let you know guyz, its a 1953 model fiat 500.
Well, in that case the car's a 500c, it'd look like this one:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...odel-fiat.html

The one in the link you first gave is a much later one (called Nuova 500 or sumthing).....
Anyways, good luck! 'hope the guy doesnt increase the price on seeing your interest....going by the condition of the car, I dont believe that he's an enthusiast......some people just project themselves as such even though they dont lift a finger to care for their cars, only so that they can demand a high price when someone comes asking for the car!
Old 25th May 2007, 18:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I had bought a 1977 model Fiat-600 from the delhi stc in '81 costed me 75000 at that time. had it for 3 years, was always a pain to drive, no power, no ac, no good seating,aircooled engine, wife refused to sit in it!sold it that time for 55000, someone from hyderabad took it!!
I'd seen a car like that at a rally in Hyderabad on 26th jan. this year (you can find pics. of it in a thread I created on the evnt)........it was a turquoiseish blue, had an 80s registration....could be yours too!

Most Viewed