Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 21:58   #91
BHPian

What a pity! Another President soon to be joining the Mumbai Taxi Union.

Got some good "Original" fittings but sad that they will not part with them.
Surely is a decent Fiat and a good restoration project would be. SAD! Really SAD!.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:10   #92
Senior - BHPian

Wish I could lay my hands on this one. All this talk of Presidents has made me crave for one. The Pres is a real rarity on two counts - The first car to have the "PAL" badge, and the fact that it was manufactured only for two years.
By the way, I read in this thread about the 1:43 President scale model by Maxwell. Guess what guys, I have it ! Played a lot with it as a kid. let me fish her out, will post. Watch this space !
Old 18th August 2008, 23:08   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

WHAT THE......!!!

This is a remarkably neat and nearly 100% original car!! I CANT believe this, what kind of a dumb --- would sell such a car for scrap??!!!
Especially when cars that are such horrible pieces of ---- are still bought and driven on the roads!

Man this cant happen, shoudlnt happen! Not in the age of the FCCCI!!
I hope SOMEONE among you guys feels like doing something about this, seriously!

Ravi, by being bought as a body-exchange do you mean to say one cant buy the car but only give a bodyshell in exchange for it??

What if someone has other papers, cant they still buy the car?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2008, 23:51   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ravi, by being bought as a body-exchange do you mean to say one cant buy the car but only give a bodyshell in exchange for it??

What if someone has other papers, cant they still buy the car?
These cars usually come to be converted into taxis, so papers are never requried. You give them your (usually rotten) car, and take this one away in exchange plus something on top. Papers of your previous car are transfered to this one. You can also take it without exchange, but it will be without papers and more expensive. Usually 35-40, not very negotiable for a good solid car. You would probably get 15-20k for the old one in exchange.
Old 19th August 2008, 00:04   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl, that sounds like a real bummer then! 'guess it'd be even more difficult to salvage these cars than to salvage ones that are bound to be scrapped only! :(
Old 19th August 2008, 00:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately that's how it works at CST road.. I'd once missed out on a not so original, but highly salvageable Select on CST road. She was MTY registered, with NO rust anywhere.
Incidentally, this guy gave me an 'off hand' quote of 10K plus old body, for this President's body.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 19th August 2008 at 00:49. Reason: added matter
Old 19th August 2008, 23:17   #97
Senior - BHPian

Guys, news on the president: She has valid papers, OTT paid, fitness till 2011, and is a one owner Pune car. She will be de registered only when she gets scrapped / or made into a taxi.The price demanded is however, high. Sad to see her go. Wish I was a rich guy !!
Old 19th August 2008, 23:21   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Guys, news on the president: She has valid papers, OTT paid, fitness till 2011, and is a one owner Pune car. She will be de registered only when she gets scrapped / or made into a taxi.The price demanded is however, high. Sad to see her go. Wish I was a rich guy !!
How much is he Quoting? Also, is that car in original paint?
Old 19th August 2008, 23:26   #99
Senior - BHPian

Paint is absolutely original, body line is very good. The paint shade is mentioned on the Rc book too. Forgot to add, she has a mint condition manual in the glove box, and I'm planning to rob it tonight.
Asking price is 45K. Boo hoo hoo..
Old 19th August 2008, 23:34   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Incidentally, this guy gave me an 'off hand' quote of 10K plus old body, for this President's body.
Ravi, try and see if you can find a scrap car/bodyshell which you can give to this guy with 10k for the president (or did he say this only for the bodyshell??)
Old 19th August 2008, 23:36   #101
Senior - BHPian

Noo.. It's 10K only for the body shell, that too if you give him an old body shell in exchange over and above. If you just want the body shell without exchange, it's 15K. But only the body shell.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:37   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Geez, thats much too disappointing!!! :(
Old 19th August 2008, 23:39   #103

Damn..If it was something in the region of say 25k or so, we would have considered. But this is just too high..As shyam said, dissapointing.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:15   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
As shyam said, dissapointing.
Nope I said DISAPPOINTING.

Anyways, seriously, would 45k be too high for a car like this, ie. one-owner, original paint, with manual...! Or is it that presidents dont (yet)command as high value as the older/italian fiats?
Retrospecitvely, even if you buy a fiat for 20k these days and you do it up, you'll end up spending a further 20-25k on it.

Btw ravi, is the interior/upholstery original as well? I think it should be maroon?
Old 20th August 2008, 22:54   #105
Senior - BHPian

Yes and no, Shyam. A President would be of value only to people like us, ie those who understand its rarity and completeness. To the layman, it's simply another fiat. Therefore 45 K sounds high. Who knows, two years down the line when there are almost no Presidents left, we'll regret not picking this one up !
Don't remember the upholstery colour, it's either maroon or blue. Whatever it is, it looked pretty untouched, just like the spartan dash - just the speedo console, a black ashtray, glovebox lid, and a simple ignition key slot in the centre - no "fizool" switches or anything else ! By the way even the keys seemed original.
Karl mentioned, the black ashtray cover was specific to the President. It was an improvement over the chromed one on the Delight, and meant to cut the glare reflecting from the chromed ones !!

Most Viewed