Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 15:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
When i was a kid my grandfather had a very well maintained Suvega, i learned driving a two wheeler or rather a moped in this vehicle. It was real fun to drive one of these in those days when all my friends were ridding a cycle i was ridding a motorized cycle.
After few years he sold it and brought a brand new Luna TFR plus which i believe was more powerful than that of a Suvega, even Luna was a good vehicle and i still remember their Ad line "Chal Meri Luna"
In bangalore i still find some well maintained Suvegas running around..

Vijay
If only I could lay my hands on one of those well maintained Suvegas...Siiigggh !!! Thanks to my previous Suvega experience I love them to death ! Unfortunately I couldn't hold on to my Suvega and had to sell it thanks to my transfers and change of assignments. It was with me from my undergrad days,remained almost unused during my MBA years (used only during the chutti), when I was out of town in a hostel, and then for five years used it when I was in my first job in a cement factory in Wadi,Gulbarga ! Anything for that lil' chap again !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th July 2007 at 15:18.
Old 14th July 2007, 22:40   #47
BHPian

Hi guys,
I remember my freinds Suvega in Secunderabad, just after finishing school in '76(thats the 1900s).
Starting problems like the devil (1st option)put it on the stand, climb on, pump the pedals keeping your butt high of the seat..if that failed, (2nd option)get somebody to push (me). It used to make the most frustrating, awful sound when you released the clutch and it wouldnt start.
Lost count of the number of movies we were late to at Plaza.
Old 15th July 2007, 19:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau View Post
Hi guys,
I remember my freinds Suvega in Secunderabad, just after finishing school in '76(thats the 1900s).
Starting problems like the devil (1st option)put it on the stand, climb on, pump the pedals keeping your butt high of the seat..if that failed, (2nd option)get somebody to push (me). It used to make the most frustrating, awful sound when you released the clutch and it wouldnt start.
Lost count of the number of movies we were late to at Plaza.
Hey Vicki, Clutch ? What clutch ? The accelerator had to be the pressed forward during the take off sequence !
And to start you could place it on the stand and a well maintained Suvega would start within half a pedal kick or round...and it roared !To me that was the sweetest music on Earth esp when taking off for college and looking forward to a day full of events !
Ahhh - Plaza - ready to be torn down now I was told eh ? Many periods bunked this was the site of some great movies - wonder if anyone remembers 'The Sleuth', Indiana Jones series which came here (when the stone was rolling behind Harrison Ford the sound effects made all the wooden floors creak and groan adding to the sound effects and realism !) etc etc - anyway thats off topic !
Old 16th July 2007, 09:41   #49
BHPian

Hi Guderian,
Sorry, wrong technical terminology, I never rode the moped but was at the receiving end as a starter (this one was not maintained.....at all).
Do you remember the bar in Plaza????
Old 16th July 2007, 10:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guderian,
Sorry, wrong technical terminology, I never rode the moped but was at the receiving end as a starter (this one was not maintained.....at all).
Hi Vicki - I remember something of the kind in late 70's - don't distinctly remember it - but remember someone telling me that there was a bar.By the time I started senior school and college and started going to Plaza seriously as a part of my education (!) there was no bar to be seen ! Which era of Plaza would be talking about ?
Anyway in May this year had driven down to B'lore and had seen Plaza in a sorry shape ! There was another delightful theatre...the BRV ! Has gone the same way I guess !
Here is a snap of Plaza as I was driving past...sepia memories !!!
Image of Plaza on the MG\'s...Many Bunked Classes and Plenty of Lasses Wooed ! - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:19   #51
BHPian

Wrong thread but still related to an old bike:

My friend sold mini-rajdoot (Bobby?) recently for 1000 bucks. It used to be in good riding condition till 3 -4 years back. How much do these bikes cost in used market now?
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Wrong thread but still related to an old bike:

My friend sold mini-rajdoot (Bobby?) recently for 1000 bucks. It used to be in good riding condition till 3 -4 years back. How much do these bikes cost in used market now?
The last time I got a quote for this it was for around 12 ~ 15k. The bike was working alright, Only hitch was that it was far from original.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Would be very careful getting one of those two wheelers...spares are a real killer ! Even when the Rajdoot bike (Bobby) was being produced getting the spares was a pain. Had a friend in Bangalore with this piece (yellow or some light colour) finally gave it up after 4 years of running it in fits and starts - though he was the cynosure of all eyes in the college for some time before it started sputtering !
Old 24th July 2007, 01:56   #54
BHPian

The last I saw my friends bike, it was in pristine condition. His father used it for daily commute till they got a scooter and after that my friend used it occasionally. I was really sad when I heard he sold it for 1000 bucks.
Old 26th September 2007, 16:36   #55

Karradi Moped/Jawa Moped

What's more info about this 50cc Jawa moped?? did ideal jawa produce these small machines?? Friends please provide some more info on this..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Well I am/was talking of the Ideal Jawa 50cc and not the 250cc... In Tamil they also used to be called as the Karraddi Jawa (Karraddi for Grisley Bears in Tamil) 'cos they used to be popular in circuses wherein Bears used to ride on them.

They used to look more like the Bajaj M50's only the gears were leg operated and man they used to move much faster than the Suvega, the Luna TFR plus, TVS50s etc. I shall try to dig out a snap from the web. There must be atleast one somewhere.

Ok, here goes. This is a snap taken from the web:

Source: Jawa 50cc 1976

These were manufactured in Czech and not in India. That's why we had very few numbers around here and the only other 50cc that this used to lose breath out on was the BSA Bond and the Explorer.
Old 26th September 2007, 21:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Monty's? I think it still exists.

Edit: Ahh, never mind. Looks like I've gotten mixed up between B'lore and Secunderabad.

Last edited by airfoil : 26th September 2007 at 21:42.
Old 27th September 2007, 17:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Stanher had spotted this machine when he was in bangalore i think. It was offered to him for sale, though he didnt pick it up.
Sorry bout the slow-as-Indian-postal-service reply! But I hadnt visited this thread at all until today.....just came across this post by Karl with my pics. of the Suvega.....
I want to clarify that I was not offered this vehicle for sale....I saw it lying at the gujiri (scrapyard) in Bangalore in January this year & just asked if I could take pics. of it...that's all.....I was told its a '76 model.
I saw another one at the vintage car/bkie rally here in Hyd. on 15th aug.....although not that well-maintained.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th September 2007 at 17:12.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Suvega? Brings me fond memories indeed!
But I also recollect Vicky and Hitodi---rivals to Suvega. Anybody remembers 'em?
I borrowed my grand-uncle's dilapidated Hitodi in Vizag when i landed up with my first job there. Damn thing needed to be pedalled half way, and had a habit of stopping right in front of the ladies' hostel.
Got rid of it soon, and bougt a brand new Lamby a year later, when I could afford it.
Old 6th November 2007, 13:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygurav View Post
What's more info about this 50cc Jawa moped?? did ideal jawa produce these small machines?? Friends please provide some more info on this..............

Heres a couple of youtube video... do keep your speakers on for sure in the first video and yes this is how they sounded

Last edited by suren181 : 6th November 2007 at 14:06.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:51   #60
BHPian

I see this moped everyday at my Office scooter parking. A Sportif if i'm right? Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-img00509.jpg  

Most Viewed