Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 13:05   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Here is my contribution to this thread. I shot these at a Vintage/Classic Rally held recently in Bangalore. The Suvega seems to be original except for those turn-signals. The last picture is of a Yezdi Colt 60 belonging to one of the spectators in the event.
S@~+#0$#; Grand old man astride, too. If I hadn't concrete info that the Doc I was alluding to earlier was in the Happy Hunting Grounds, I'd have thought it was him on the Suvega. Seems lovingly maintained (bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I suppose this is one of them? I spotted it at a garage in Pune.
karlosdeville: Extraordinary that there's still one in the flesh, Sir. Thanks. I can still 'hear' the Pearl in my head: some bloke hailing from Vijayalakshmi Engineering Works (ex- Benson Town crossing) raced one 25 odd years ago, and I can remember watching and chiefly- listening- to him wak-wak around Ulsoor Lake. Lovely machines that were quite advanced for the day. I think one model came with auto-clutch, but the fast one was manual, had foot operated gears and a 65/75 cc 2 stroke engine. Parsi acquaintence's G'pop rode one that was green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Sankar, you know what? You can still buy one brand new. The "Safari" moniker is out and it's just the V2 now. Check the link below.

Kinetic Showroom : Utility Vehicles : Luna

Hmmm... they call it an Utility Vehicle. The V2 80 seems good, but how I wish they (Kinetic) had their A.S.S. in place
suren181: Wow- hard to believe but equally fantastic that it's survived this long. I'd forgotten the name: Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
Pearl Yamaha? Can anyone please give specs of this bike? Never heard of/ seen this bike before; want to know more!
islero: Does anyone know if this was manufactured by Yamaha- directly, or via a tie-up? Did they make any other models? Why did they fade away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This was a 65cc geared moped sold in India from 1965 till I guess 1970-71 or so. Manufactured in Tamil Nadu with technology from Yamaha it was very contemporary for its times. The selling price was I believe Rs 3200=00, roughly the cost of a Lambretta Li150 or a Vespa (Bajaj 150) in those days.It came in a two tone colour- green and cream/light brown or black and cream.green was its signature colour.
anjan_c2007: Thanks, that helps. 3200 of the Lucre was a lot of money back then, but the machine was IMO worth every cent.
Anyone heard of the Saund (Zweirad) 100 cc, 2 stroke motorbike with 5 gears? Dad owned one and she used to sing like a mosquito (when you weren't busy hunting for a gear). Sadly, the Co. went belly-up
Old 15th August 2008, 20:42   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
S@~+#0$#; Grand old man astride, too. If I hadn't concrete info that the Doc I was alluding to earlier was in the Happy Hunting Grounds, I'd have thought it was him on the Suvega. Seems lovingly maintained (bike)
anjan_c2007: Thanks, that helps. 3200 of the Lucre was a lot of money back then, but the machine was IMO worth every cent.
Anyone heard of the Saund (Zweirad) 100 cc, 2 stroke motorbike with 5 gears? Dad owned one and she used to sing like a mosquito (when you weren't busy hunting for a gear). Sadly, the Co. went belly-up
Thats the Saund 100 I think the first ever 100cc motorbike in India. Was it in 1970-71 that it was launched ? It had the styling cues of the lighter European bikes of the times.Its manufacturers were the people who made the Vicky moped (50cc / 2 seater/ 3 hand operated gears) and had their manufacturing plant somewhere near Gwalior. The Vicky moped was based on a German design and colloboration. The Saund 100 was also based on a German design and colloboration, I suppose.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thats the Saund 100 I think the first ever 100cc motorbike in India. Was it in 1970-71 that it was launched ? It had the styling cues of the lighter European bikes of the times.Its manufacturers were the people who made the Vicky moped (50cc / 2 seater/ 3 hand operated gears) and had their manufacturing plant somewhere near Gwalior. The Vicky moped was based on a German design and colloboration. The Saund 100 was also based on a German design and colloboration, I suppose.
anjan_c2007: Correct. Collaborator was Zweirad of Germany. I think my dad bought his in 1975. The bike wasn't reliable like today's Jap machines and sometimes refused to start. When she did run she was fine. Revved like Hell, but finding a gear was always a problem. More details than that are a bit hazy as I was but a small con-rod back then.
Old 23rd August 2008, 00:07   #79
BANNED

In 1974 my father was having a Vicky 50cc/2 seater/how many gear i do not rembered but i am sure that it was having gears because kick start was there. I got similar type photo from net but not same one. Any body is having any other info pls let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-vicky.jpg  

Old 26th August 2008, 10:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
In 1974 my father was having a Vicky 50cc/2 seater/how many gear i do not rembered but i am sure that it was having gears because kick start was there. I got similar type photo from net but not same one. Any body is having any other info pls let me know.
mituadas: Lovely, Sir.
Hey- that's a lovely picture. I didn't know any existed! Thanks a tonne, mate- that brings back such memories. The engine, tank and light and swingarm and design elements are all right, but she seems to have a pedal making her a moped?? Ours had a kickstarter and 3 hand-operated gears.
The thingy with the handle in the trough of the frame is where you accessed the carb.

She looks fab with the whitewalled tyres, and powder blue suits her.

Last edited by netchef : 26th August 2008 at 10:28. Reason: spello
Old 26th August 2008, 13:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! All the discussions here seem to bringing back very powerful memories of childhood !
It's been years since I've seen a Vicky - great stuff Mituadas !
So its not only Suvega,but also Vicky,Luna,Sportiff,Y-Pearl et al -personalities of yore which stokes such feeling ! Of days gone by....siiiigh...will they ever return ?
Coming to think of it there were also personality types associated with each of the moped ...Suvega (atleast the earlier model) - I used to feel was always ridden by gentlemanly,old,thatta types(...my old Hindi teacher in KV MEG, Bangalore had a saffronish coloured Suvega), the Vicky old uncle-ish types, Luna & the new Suvega with an yougster's image etc.
Wonder whether anyone else had these image associations from the past...
Old 26th August 2008, 13:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

You forgot the Hitodi, Guderian? My grand uncle had one, and liberally donated it to me when I started my career at Vizag. I used it barely for a week and returned it: it used to ditch me badly in front of the ladies hostel always.
Nothing is more embarassing than pedalling a moped when it refueses to budge in automatic mode.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

There was one BSA Bond & another BSA too (Forgot the name). And the Enfield Explorer & SIlver plus. Anyone got snaps of those ? The explorer was a little beauty with no power.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:27   #84
BANNED

BSA was the first indian bike with mono shocks at rear it use to be very loud machine, typical two stroker.
You took my words man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Wow ! All the discussions here seem to bringing back very powerful memories of childhood !
It's been years since I've seen a Vicky - great stuff Mituadas !
So its not only Suvega,but also Vicky,Luna,Sportiff,Y-Pearl et al -personalities of yore which stokes such feeling ! Of days gone by....siiiigh...will they ever return ?
Old 26th August 2008, 14:32   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There was one BSA Bond & another BSA too (Forgot the name). And the Enfield Explorer & SIlver plus. Anyone got snaps of those ? The explorer was a little beauty with no power.
The other BSA was the BSA Falcon. The extended line of the Enfield did have the Fury too IIRC.
Old 26th August 2008, 15:57   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You forgot the Hitodi, Guderian? My grand uncle had one, and liberally donated it to me when I started my career at Vizag. I used it barely for a week and returned it: it used to ditch me badly in front of the ladies hostel always.
Nothing is more embarassing than pedalling a moped when it refueses to budge in automatic mode.
Hi Vnabi...not very sure about the Hitiodi ! Can someone post a snap of this golden oldie ?
I read your comment on the Hitodi and the ladies hostel stuff in your earlier post as well ! Let me tell you something more embarassing - during a lunch break two of us jokers from St Joseph's Bangalore take a friend's Jawa and rush to Mount Carmel to impress the femme fatales who used to come out of the 'jail' during recess...and there we were right on time trying to impress them when the dope head of my friend almost runs into an auto tries avoiding him and almost crashes into a jutka - a typical Bangalore horse cart - skids and both of us get thrown off just near the railway crossing - all in a matter of seconds with much accompaniment of hoots and shouts from the girls sitting on the campus wall.To add insult to injury only later we realised that my jeans was torn quite magnificiently in the rear ! Understandably, we didn't visit that area for an appreciable period of time !
Old 26th August 2008, 16:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Ahhh Bond...wasn't this the one manufactured by ITC in one of their ill advised diversifications ? Though I remember it was a good bike !
Old 26th August 2008, 18:00   #88
BANNED

Nope this is Kinetic Swift not Safari, as my younger brother had this during 1989-91.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
I see this moped everyday at my Office scooter parking. A Sportif if i'm right? Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

My Suvega

Guys,

Latest information is that, I managed to source a Suvega myself. The engine and other stuffs are parted and stored safely. This is the picture of the Suvega frame.
The Suvega moped!-image123.jpg
I pushed my Yezdi D250 Classic out of the concrete room where I stored it for more than 3 years now and soon it will rock the road. Since I was visiting my mechanic to inquire about the feasibility to restore my Yezdi he sold this Suvega for me.
The Suvega moped!-image117.jpg
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2009, 15:45   #90
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
The car next to the Vicky looks like a Porsche 356. Doesn't it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks