Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 13:42   #1

Have A Look At This Austin

hey guys i spotted this at dadar the other day..i know it is an austin but which one????i was drivin and took some pics then i made him stop so i could take some detailed pics..

this was my favourite part of the car...the "OVERDRIVE" badgeing....
Old 4th September 2007, 13:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

That is an Ausin Westminster. Same sort of car Scooby's uncle had dismantled.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

rightly like ajmat pointed out. it is the austin westminster.

Old 4th September 2007, 17:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes My uncle once upon a time Owned one of these Westminsters
Is this one for possible sale?
Old 4th September 2007, 22:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Here she is at the Bombay rally in 2006. Quite a rare find, we usually only see the Cambridge.

Old 5th September 2007, 13:30   #6
BHPian

My father had a chance to buy a similar Westminister (immaculate condition - black color with auto transmission, rear folding tables, smiths heater and original uphostery) in mid 90's. It belonged to Jessop & Co. at Delhi (Golf Links). The car had been recently overhauled at British Motor Co. and done less than 1000 miles since the work.

He won the tender bid for Rs. 7,000/-, but the papers / RC got lost on its way from the Co. HQ at Calcutta to their Delhi office and the tender eventually was cancelled. It might have ended at a scrap dealer.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

tanx karl for the p ictures. i see that the car has degraded quite a bit from the earlier days, tail lamps etc... and what is that brown paint on the chrome in the recent snaps?? some rust protector???
Old 5th September 2007, 16:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
tanx karl for the p ictures. i see that the car has degraded quite a bit from the earlier days, tail lamps etc... and what is that brown paint on the chrome in the recent snaps?? some rust protector???
hi Jayd, the pictures were taken when it was raining so maybe the effects on the camera. the car would look at its normal self right now cause on rally day the cars are at their best, polished,chromed and shineing. that is not brown paint but looks like the owner has smeered greeze on the chrome parts ( bumpers, grill etc) to protect it in the rains. sort of acts like a rust protector. normally in the monsoons the cars are packed up and kept.
Old 5th September 2007, 20:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_kidwai View Post
My father had a chance to buy a similar Westminister (immaculate condition - black color with auto transmission, rear folding tables, smiths heater and original uphostery) in mid 90's. It belonged to Jessop & Co. at Delhi (Golf Links). The car had been recently overhauled at British Motor Co. and done less than 1000 miles since the work.

He won the tender bid for Rs. 7,000/-, but the papers / RC got lost on its way from the Co. HQ at Calcutta to their Delhi office and the tender eventually was canceled. It might have ended at a scrap dealer.
indeed this car was the rover P5's competitor in the 60's this and the austin-vanden plas princess
Old 30th August 2008, 15:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Cy, any news on what's happened to this car now?? I last saw a pic. of it in a sad state posted in rust in pieces thread. I believe it was for sale too at one point.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:30   #11

Nope, no idea what happened. Saw it only once after this. It was at the back of the tow truck again..sad site indeed.
Old 4th September 2008, 20:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nope, no idea what happened. Saw it only once after this. It was at the back of the tow truck again..sad site indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey Cy, any news on what's happened to this car now?? I last saw a pic. of it in a sad state posted in rust in pieces thread. I believe it was for sale too at one point.
I have not seen it,but I understand that it has come to Chennai and that it has detriorated further.
Old 4th September 2008, 21:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
I have not seen it,but I understand that it has come to Chennai and that it has detriorated further.
Could you try and track it down, see if it is for sale? 'would greatly appreciate any help in this regard!
Old 8th September 2008, 17:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

This Austin (?) wagon would visit my apartment every now and again till the mid 90s, which is probably when I took these pictures. Never saw it again, and I have no idea who they were visiting in order to track the car down.

Does it look familiar to anyone? It was in remarkably good condition at the time, and probably a daily driver.

Have A Look At This Austin-03.jpg

Have A Look At This Austin-04.jpg

Have A Look At This Austin-01.jpg

Have A Look At This Austin-02.jpg
Old 8th September 2008, 17:23   #15

waawaaweewaa!! Karl, is the side trim original?

Most Viewed