Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2007, 07:06   #1
BHPian

BSA falcon

Once famous BSA Falcon was spotted by me at Madurai yesterday.

The guy whizzed past me before I can get my camera.

The regn started with TDE.
Old 29th September 2007, 17:41   #2
BHPian

wonderful bike its an 80cc, one of my friend had it while doing my college in 1987 ecellent pick up and speed and some times when overheated it will easily out run suzuki 100 cc bike while we used to race it.
Old 29th September 2007, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
The guy whizzed past me before I can get my camera.
Thats funny because this was a vehicle one could hear LOOONG before you actually saw it. It used to be quite comical watching a BSA Falcon/Bond come through because it had a great exhaust note that suggested that it was capable of (with a lot of effort!). Hence you'd have curious onlookers looking towards the source of the sound for a while, and quite a few minutes later you'd have a chap coming along on a BSA, doing 50kmph with great difficulty.

It was too funny for words.

It was a trail bike, not meant for the road.
Old 29th September 2007, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

India's one and only monoshock bike. I was riding a BSA SLR when these were whizzing around...wanted one so bad!

What was the difference betwen Bond and Falcon?
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2007, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
None. The company got taken over by Brooke Bond (honest!) and they changed the name to Bond from Falcon. Plus some new colours and a longer rear mudflap.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:10   #6
BHPian

one small change in your quote is, it can manage a speed of 80kph and i can vouch for that bcz my frnd had one in 1987 it was a BSA Bond and its true the Brooke bond bought it an changed the name.
Old 2nd October 2007, 06:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
None. The company got taken over by Brooke Bond (honest!) and they changed the name to Bond from Falcon. Plus some new colours and a longer rear mudflap.
yes after take over of bond it introduced new models with raised fuel tank longer mud flap as steeroid said in the name SPITFIRE.

They were not 80 CC but 50CC ,4 footgear,throaty exhaust note and excellent handling popular with students during the days of Enfield Silver plus and Explorer.

The one I saw was in real good condition and may post the photo soon.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BSA falcon

This is a modded BSA Falcon. The chassis and body parts are original but the engine and gearbox are different (YAMAHA- a Pearl Yamaha hopefully??) and so is the front axle and many other parts fitted on it. It is in daily use.

BSA falcon-dsc06406.jpg

BSA falcon-dsc06407.jpg

BSA falcon-dsc06408.jpg

BSA falcon-dsc06409.jpg

BSA falcon-dsc06410.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th December 2010 at 20:53.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2010, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow! after a long long time I've seen this lean and mean machine, I remember when I went to dad's office once and there used to a showroom where a lot of BSA's blue, yellow and red colour lined up. There used to be two models one is the Falcon with mono shock and other which has two shocks in the rear.
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
India's one and only monoshock bike. I was riding a BSA SLR when these were whizzing around...wanted one so bad!

Both BOND & Falcon are same, except the below........

BOND ---> Came in 2 guises a " CANTI_LEVER mono shock versio & Dual Shockabsorbers also
Built quality was so good !!!
No where "Plastic or PP or FRP stuff was used as cycle parts !!

FALCON ---->When Brooke Bond Automotive division, past on this product to KSIL , instead of upgrading the product, they went on bring down the production cost ( with help of their R&D) by replacing Sheet metal side covers with FRP ones { fibre reinforced plastic }
Instrument pod, changed with a PP stuff & different shape
Most of their vendors ( parts suppliers were forced to supply TW prices)...hence cheap quality parts with poor built quality !!
even sleek Alloy gear shifter levers was replaced with mild steel levers
As the integrated engine unit came from " Morrini Spa" italy, KSIL guys didn't have time or knowledge to bugger up the wonderful power train

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
yes after take over of bond it introduced new models with raised fuel tank longer mud flap as steeroid said in the name SPITFIRE.

They were not 80 CC but 50CC ,4 footgear,throaty exhaust note and excellent handling popular with students during the days of Enfield Silver plus and Explorer.

The one I saw was in real good condition and may post the photo soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
one small change in your quote is, it can manage a speed of 80kph and i can vouch for that bcz my frnd had one in 1987 it was a BSA Bond and its true the Brooke bond bought it an changed the name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
@ all the above members:
All of you are partially right but...the real BSA<> BROOKE BOND(relationship) , the name BSA BOND, Motomorrini s engine, and all these things was screwing my head at one point of time ( while restoring by BSA Bond)
So plenty of digging,pulling & knocking was down to know why the name>
B S A Bond
the portion Bond was easily understood, as it was Brooke bond India's Automotive division, who brought this Bike
but WHY this name BSA???
The British company which has folded its production at early '71, that to the BSA in a different font?? Why ??
will tell you, if you guys are really interested !!
ps: It was first Bond, then only Falcon...

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd May 2011 at 10:36. Reason: Back-to-back posts
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 13:57   #11
BHPian

Hi Guys. I have currently borrowed my fathers account to post until my account here gets approved.
I currently have the original prototype of the GT50, brought from England by my grandfather who used to work for KSIL. Him and some colleagues of his were working to get it manufactured here in India until they quit. Now I am trying to restore it to working condition. Anyone with any experience restoring this bike please help me as I am way out of my depth here.
float is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks