Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 15:48   #31
BHPian

naren4140-thank you for the pics.good to know you are restoring it to its orginal look,best of luck dude, please do put pics of work in progress and finished product too.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:17   #32
Team-BHP Support

Mark 1 Ambassador-points.jpg

1. Inside grill cuts look clean. Chrome parts need to be tapped a little bit and send for electroplating at Vijaylakhsmi Eletroplating Works.

2. Parking light/indicator should be of transperant plastic. Steeroid's Landy got the same so getting a new set shouldn't be a problem.

3. Headlamp rims can be picked up from Bangalore/Calcutta. Send it for plating anyway. Original plating is rubbish.

4. Chrome bits (also #6) can be picked up from Calcutta for sure. Same goes for it's chrome finish.

5. Rubber bidding there is to cover the center panel and side fender joint line. Most garages weld them to make it look clean.

7. Insignia doesn't look from their first design. Look for that. Chrome plating for this one too.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:15   #33
BHPian

Naren, I have a pair of Mark I Meters, but i dont know if they are working, I got them from Nasik as Standby meters along with my Landmaster meters. I will search them tonight and send you a pic tomm.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Naren, I have a pair of Mark I Meters, but i dont know if they are working, I got them from Nasik as Standby meters along with my Landmaster meters. I will search them tonight and send you a pic tomm.
thanks a ton !!

yes my Clock doesn't work tho'

the other meters work
Old 14th July 2008, 21:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Hey Ed, any idea how one can check if a speedo is working or not ? I chanced upon this original smiths meter "made in England" (mark I amby) in chor bazaar. The guy claims it's working, but I don't know whether to trust him.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark 1 Ambassador-phone-picture-078.jpg  

Old 15th July 2008, 12:27   #36
BHPian

Ravi, thats the issue, both the set of meters that i recived are not working, have to get them serviced. The pics of the meters that you have posted are in better condition then the ones i recived, how much was he asking for them ?? maybe Naren could use these. Naren i could find only the speedo meter, will have to search the other meter.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Edward, he was asking for 900 bucks for both. Came down to 700. Is it a good buy ? Besides, its only for the two meters, he doesn't have the clock that goes in between them.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey Ed, any idea how one can check if a speedo is working or not ? I chanced upon this original smiths meter "made in England" (mark I amby) in chor bazaar. The guy claims it's working, but I don't know whether to trust him.
There are a few guys who just work on meters.You could go near the Local Gujari/Chor Bazar and ask for these guys ,they refurbish these meters, replace the springs,gears and can make them work.

If you want to experiment you can use a power drill with a flex cable attached to it and see if the Speedometer works.

For the Fuel Guage try using 2 wires from the 12 Volt battery and see if it moves when connected.Careful not to burn the fuel guage.

The Oil guage try blowing some air into it using the pipe connected to it. It must move i guess they have a different pressure unit (Atmosphere, not our Pounds/Square Inch or Bars).
Old 15th July 2008, 22:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Naren, this is good stuff to try out. I also need to check the meters I've bought for my "soon to be restored" Super Select.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Those meters are worth it even if non-functional,buddy.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:28   #41
BANNED

Naren,

Going back to what RudraSen has been mentioning about the marked cosmetics,

All the above are available at Bangalore J C Road(New Ones), Try CAR Automobiles and Jadsons, I've seen a mechanic from Banaswadi pick all these spares from Jadsons and CAR.

BTW surprising to see so many Landmasters getting restored around Bangalore and also on T-BHP.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Thanks ! Maybe I'll pick them up so the Amby Mk I can be added to my ever growing "I want" list !! .
For a classic buff, the desire for a car very often starts from a single accessory !
Old 17th July 2008, 23:53   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What about the ones we saw on the 2 mk2 ambys in puthupet last year?? Do you know if those cars are still around (although I doubt it!)
And are the mk2 meters same as the mk1 meters?
Old 13th December 2008, 11:53   #44

those ckusters look to be in excellent condition and i agree with nitrous' observation. the ammeter is probably the most difficult to get in reasonable cosmetic condition and this looks great. make sure the glass is concave, which is how the original is.
Old 13th December 2008, 22:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
What about the ones we saw on the 2 mk2 ambys in puthupet last year?? Do you know if those cars are still around (although I doubt it!)
And are the mk2 meters same as the mk1 meters?
Stanher the Ambassador dash sported the same meters with the clock from 1958 till 1964 (advent of the Mark II) and even thereafter the dash was the same till December 1965.
The central clock was gone by early 1965 but the two Smiths meters (speedo and the tempreture, fuel , full beam lights, temp ) shared company with a blank space sans the clock. During late 1965 the dash was changed with a desi Yenkay made smaller speedo, three warning lamps (green, yellow and red)in a round chrome console at the centre(remember that the Smiths meters housed these lamps within) and three small separate Yenkay meters at the left part of the dash signifying tempreture, fuel and amps.
1965 was deadly, as the newly introduced Fiat 1100D too was made to get rid of the Millecento/1100/SuperSelect singly housed speedo and meters for blue dialled rounded desi Yenkay stuff.
Even the Herald's single Smiths meter was gone to give way to the smaller speedo and other meters.
The Lambrettas and Vespas too were victims and their speedos changed from the Italian made plastic covered white dialled ones to black dialled Yenkay made ones.These plastic covered ones on these Italian two wheelers were notorious for getting yellow in a few years and blurring the meter readings.
Of all these imported meters, the Smiths made ones fitted in the older Ambys are simply the best. The chrome ring at the centre, the grey and back colour scheme, the trip meter,the warning lights housed within, with the aesthetic readout and the needles were awesome.
But to summarise, thats what tight import restrictions did way back then.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th December 2008 at 22:49.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed