Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2007, 16:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

thank you for filling me in Karl. i was not aware of this plastic bumper capping available for the herald. the wire spoke wheels look nice on the herald.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:42   #17
BHPian

Why LHD from UK?

Maybe meant for export to other LHD countries.
Old 11th November 2007, 20:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Home market cars were fitted with a plastic (?) bumper capping like these pictured below.
Karl, speedy: Actually those are rubber cappings...

stampro: the only explanation for a herald being LHD is if it had been imported from the US/Canada or even Europe (where Heralds were really popular as well)...the UK & even Australia/NZ of course had RHD cars as we did.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:22   #19
BHPian

Hi,

Well, we were able to bring this car as we were being transferred back to India. My father was the First Sec. to the Indian Defence Ministry posted in London for a period of 6 years and since, this was transfer of residence, there was no problem in getting the car, further, the car was shipped under the Diplomatic arrangements.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers! Sumeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron View Post
Hi Sumeet,

Altho I'm a noob myself having joined just a few days back, welcome to a wonderful forum.

I have a question that I hope you can answer:

When did you bring the Triumph to India? Was it recently? As I understand the rules, cars older than 3 years may not be imported. If I am wrong, that would be good for me indeed as I will be transferring back to India in the next few weeks.

Thanks
Old 12th November 2007, 12:30   #20
BHPian

Hi,

Ofcourse I remeber you and Farhan very well!!! I also remeber we got on talking about the cars while we were standing next to my 'Prized' possesion!! And also recall having seen all the beuties' pics on your mobile phone!!

Thanks for posting the pictures of my car....I was about to do that, but since, you have already done so....Take care and i do look forward to meeting you again....Cheers! Sumeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
hello Mr Sumeet, it is very nice to see you on the forum. i had met you at your place along with Farhan. hope you do remember.
the car does not need to loose its originality in any form. like pointed out by ishan the cars manufactured after 1997 do need to have seatbelts. the vintage and classic cars are exempt from this law.
this is Mr Sumeets car. the best example of a triumph herald that i have seen. the car is maintained and loved by Mr Sumeet himself.

Old 12th November 2007, 12:39   #21
BHPian

This is a 1968 original model and colour.....I have been maintaining it all by myself and do not allow any Mechanic to touch the car, they are usually called home only for helping me out.....as most if these jokers have a habit of accelarating the car, while on the idle position, exhausting the engine too harshly!

I have the entire Owners' Manual and refer to that while servicing the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Welcome Sumeet.The car is beautiful with a nice royal colour too.Which year this got manufactured?
Old 12th November 2007, 12:44   #22
BHPian

Hi Karlos,

We brought this car to India in 1987-88. It landed at the Chennai Port from where it was carted on an Army Truck and delivered in Agra, from where my father drove it back to Delhi.

Initially, it carried a West Bengal number, then later was objected by the Police in Delhi and we were lucky enough to get a Delhi registration, probably, we were the last folks to get an old car registered in Delhi, this was sometimes in 1997-98 or so.....

Cheers! Sumeet

Quote:
The best example Ive seen ever...period! How long back did you bring it down? Do tell us more about it.

I doubt seat belts are mandatory for your vehicle, though you can get a very neat set of period looking belts fitted. Equire with one of the many Triumph clubs in the UK or US.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeet_s View Post
Hi Karlos,
We brought this car to India in 1987-88. It landed at the Chennai Port from where it was carted on an Army Truck and delivered in Agra, from where my father drove it back to Delhi.
Aha, I knew it! See my post dated 23rd Sept
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/572538-post45.html
Old 19th November 2007, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Aha, I knew it! See my post dated 23rd Sept
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/572538-post45.html
Well, I don't know if you had actually seen my car on the Delhi roads, as we have been driving this car around and sad enough, people have approached us and offered us INR10K - INR15K for this "piece of Junk" in their langauage!!! Lucky enough, I don't lose my cool easily, else, I'm sure there would have been many cases against me!!!
Old 19th November 2007, 15:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I don't know if you had actually seen my car on the Delhi roads, as we have been driving this car around and sad enough, people have approached us and offered us INR10K - INR15K for this "piece of Junk" in their langauage!!! Lucky enough, I don't lose my cool easily, else, I'm sure there would have been many cases against me!!!
Yeah I agree thats so ridiculous!
You dont even get an Indian (Standard) Herald for 10-15k nowadays!
Old 19th November 2007, 16:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yeah I agree thats so ridiculous!
You dont even get an Indian (Standard) Herald for 10-15k nowadays!
Well, these buggers don't know anything about cars, one of the gentleman walked upto me and said, "where did you get your Fiat modified"? and he claimed to be an avid car lover......beats me, as to what kind of 'car lover; was he??

On the side note, a lot of people think that the old cars only worth so much or they think that this suits more of a Junk dealer...UNFORTUNATELY!!!! Infact, I have been getting calls from various car lovers in this city, who claim to own Triumph Herald, but would also like to own this one, though, I know there are only 2 - 3 pieces of this machine in India, one is with us, the other one belongs to an Ex-Army man residing in New Delhi (which is non - working as of now!) and the other one is in Mumbai, tho, not very sure of Mumbai guy owning this one.... Cheers!
Old 19th November 2007, 18:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the side note, a lot of people think that the old cars only worth so much or they think that this suits more of a Junk dealer...UNFORTUNATELY!!!! Infact, I have been getting calls from various car lovers in this city, who claim to own Triumph Herald, but would also like to own this one, though, I know there are only 2 - 3 pieces of this machine in India, one is with us, the other one belongs to an Ex-Army man residing in New Delhi (which is non - working as of now!) and the other one is in Mumbai, tho, not very sure of Mumbai guy owning this one.... Cheers!
These other Triumph Heralds you speak of, are they Wagons as well? Coz there are plenty of saloons around.
Old 26th November 2007, 13:47   #28
BHPian

Well, I haven't seen those yet, but have been told that one of them is exactly the same as mine and that is the one which has been off the road for some time now.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:35   #29
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been missing for some time and just decided to ping all my friends on this to check if anyone would be able to help me find the suspension kit for my Triumph Herald in New Delhi.

Cheers!
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:53   #30
BHPian

there used to be an triumph left hand with canvas sun roof in 90 in bangalore red in mh registration

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks