Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 16:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

A Fiat & Amby Landmaster: 2 perfect beauties found in Coimbatore

These two perfectly maintained beauties were parked at the Hotel (Alankar Grande) we were staying at in Coimbatore. They seem to be the owners cars as they were there for the 5 days we stayed.

Could someone help me out as to which model Fiat that is? It had a squarish rear, kind of like a 118NE and the dashboard too was angular and not rounded like the Padmini's.

Sorry, I didn't take any more photographs though.

Last edited by Rtech : 6th November 2007 at 17:01.
Old 6th November 2007, 16:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thats a Fiat 124 RT.

EDIT: Karl do you have the picture of the one owned by a guy from ARAI with all the jazz he's done to the poor car?

EDIT: I stand corrected this is the Fiat Rinnovato. The Pune example has Weber carbs.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th November 2007 at 17:10.
Old 6th November 2007, 16:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

The Fiat is the successor to the FIat 1100 updated to look like the 124
Old 6th November 2007, 17:01   #4
BHPian

With my limited knowledge it seems to be a Fiat 1100R to me from the mid Sixties. The fiat gurus will be here along shortly.

The Landmaster is a beauty, truly well maintained.

Edit: Wikipedia shows it to be a 1966 ~ 67 model. Image:Fiat 1100-R.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by suren181 : 6th November 2007 at 17:02.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

the landmaster is in impressive shape
the fiat is OK i think it deserves more care considering its rarer amongst the two
Old 6th November 2007, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Awesome Pair!

Awesome, Impressive, unbelievable, rare, unique, fantastic............I'm running out of words for these two beauties. And the Landmaster takes the cake. Looks like it just rolled out of the factory today. What a beauty. Would love to own one this condition.
Old 6th November 2007, 18:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Coimbatore never fails in its quality of classics. Superb! The car on the left is a 66/7 Fiat 1100R, successor to our dear Premier Padmini aka Fiat 1100 D. Im floored by the condition of both, though the Landmaster is missing an aluminum garnish around the windscreen, and apparently sports an after market steering wheel. The Fiat has a strange pattern of vents under the grille, which might be a modification.

There used to be a lovely Mark 1 Amby in Pune in the same colour as the Landmaster, but the army objected and he had to repaint it white!

Any more pics?
Old 6th November 2007, 18:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

I bet egangsta's drooling away to glory! That Landmaster's looking awesome.
There's a similar Fiat at Tardeo near Bhatia Hospital. It's silver and in working condition, but, not as well maintained as this one.
Old 6th November 2007, 19:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
There's a similar Fiat at Tardeo near Bhatia Hospital. It's silver and in working condition, but, not as well maintained as this one.
Interesting. Do get us some pics.

Apparently quite a few came to India, they are regularly spotted in Hindi movies as well. I remember a pristine white car, MRH 8512 parked at a station in Bombay in the Amitabh-Dharmendra starrer Chupke Chupke, alongside a forlorn 55 dukkar, MHJ something.
Old 6th November 2007, 20:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

nice find there Rtech. the beuties look very well kept. down south it seems to be a treasure chest of classics. it looks like the owner uses them and is very fond of them. he sure has done a great job with their maintainance. i have seen three landmasters here in delhi but none come close to this one.
Old 6th November 2007, 20:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is it just my sense or does other people agree with me, the 1100D looks better than the 1100R = Rinnovato (Renovated).
Old 6th November 2007, 21:17   #12
BHPian

Rtech, you should have got yourself a SUV and went a little further from the hotel. Why????

Thatz where his house is. From a SUV you can see all the beauties parked inside. Collection includes a Miata, MR2, 300ZX, a Jag S Type and a few classics among others...

Remember once when his Jag was parked in the underground parking lot in their house for a month. Some rats bit into some sensors and the TCS stopped working. Because of this the car refused to climb up the incline and was wheel spinning and sliding to glory
Old 6th November 2007, 23:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is it just my sense or does other people agree with me, the 1100D looks better than the 1100R = Rinnovato (Renovated).
I agree atleast!

I take it you refer to the presence of rear fins on the Delight?

Yeah this 1100R sure is a nice car though.
Old 7th November 2007, 01:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
And the Landmaster takes the cake. Looks like it just rolled out of the factory today. What a beauty. Would love to own one this condition.
Rony you just missed a chance then, a Parsi owned Landmaster got sold last month in Nasik and i was told it was in very good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Yea Addy you bet i am drooling away to glory,the car is perfect just one thing that is bugging me is the indicators.Check out the pic of this Landmaster in Banglore.I find it different, or my eyesight is weak. LoLz, Karl can you please check it out the pic..

Old 7th November 2007, 09:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Yea Addy you bet i am drooling away to glory,the car is perfect just one thing that is bugging me is the indicators.Check out the pic of this Landmaster in Banglore.I find it different, or my eyesight is weak. LoLz, Karl can you please check it out the pic..
Which indicators are you talking about? The Semaphores? Coz there is something amiss, but the pic is not clear enough to tell.

Most Viewed