Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 07:21   #1
sat
BHPian

1962 willys cj3b 4wd

Some of images of our 62 willys, unfortunately it was fitted with a diesel engine few years ago, will be putting back the original engine this year.

Grandfather purchased her new from a Ahmedabad dealer. Its been with the family since... pleasure to drive in open country...

Would like to purchase rear tail lights.. any suggestions where I could source these?

sat

before the new coat of paint, trailer also has a new coat of paint.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:40   #2
BHPian

very desirable.

which diesel engine is running in it?
Old 15th November 2007, 14:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great Jeep Sat. Enjoy it. Ive been lookin for a jeep for sometime now. If you do happen to know of any for sale, please do let me know.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow Sat thats a lovely jeep and the original trailer too. interesting to see you have matched the seat covers with the colour of the jeep and they look great.
do you have the original engine for the jeep, or is a new one going to be purchased?
Old 15th November 2007, 16:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Charming, though I would have preffered the original gray. She would look even greater with that matched trailer now.

Was that large central speedo original to your Jeep? I only recall seeing those on stationwagons.

I can source you genuine made in USA Jeep taillights, still in original wrapping. These are the military variety though, and come along with a black out light.
Old 15th November 2007, 22:55   #6
sat
BHPian

Quote:
I would have preffered the original gray
I would agree with you, we have had gray colour for decades, so went in for a change.

speedy,
do not have the original engine, a friend who knows these petrol engine like the back of his hand will put one together for me. lhd engine are not as common as rhd blocks.

I purchased the fabric for seat covers years ago, it appears to be similar pattern to what the US armed forces wear in the Gulf. had purchased with the intension of making camo cargo's. I now have to find some good quality canvas for the hood.

Quote:
Ive been lookin for a jeep for sometime now. If you do happen to know of any for sale, please do let me know.
V16, a similar lhd jeep with petrol engine in excellent condition was sold in jaipur this summer. will let you know if any come up for sale.

trooper, engine is a kirloskar.

sat
Old 17th November 2007, 21:21   #7

damn nice

i am restoring a 1955 willys myself but sad to say i am not restoring to the original shape as my dad is funding it and he likes it to be modified to the new comforts.
your jeep looks really good!!!!!
Old 18th November 2007, 05:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats well maintained Jeep! Wow..
I used to love watching the movies from the 60s & 70s..every 2nd actor would drive the Jeep.
Just curious,iIs this Jeep being used on a farm?
Old 18th November 2007, 09:14   #9
sat
BHPian

jeep

Quote:
iIs this Jeep being used on a farm?
Nitin,

this jeep is being used on the farm.. which one can see in the pictures..

sat

Quote:
i am restoring a 1955 willys myself but sad to say i am not restoring to the original shape
mech.9n,

pity about that, try & keep all the original bits so you can restore her back to original specs in future..

sat
Old 8th July 2008, 00:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

any latest images of the jeep!

thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 17:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Charming, though I would have preffered the original gray. She would look even greater with that matched trailer now.

Was that large central speedo original to your Jeep? I only recall seeing those on stationwagons.

I can source you genuine made in USA Jeep taillights, still in original wrapping.
These are the military variety though, and come along with a black out light.
Karl the CJ-Willy's didi have a central large Meter.
If this is a CJ3B then the Spare should be mounted on the left rear of the Jeep (in case its a RHD and on the RIhgt in a LHD Jeep) and not on the tail gate as is on this one.
Trying to emulate our beloved Ram, I will try to explain in his trademarked, inimitable style.
(I actually had him demonstrate how he did this labeling in his posts-Thanks Ram)

Here is a pic of the late 50's central meter on a Willys
Name:  Speedometer.gif
Views: 15198
Size:  27.3 KB

A late 50's dash and meter
1962 willys cj3b 4wd-murray55dash.jpg

An early 50's dash and meters
1962 willys cj3b 4wd-chabot59dash.jpg

An early 60's dash and meters
1962 willys cj3b 4wd-charnok63dash.jpg

Placement of the Spare wheel on the CJ3B is on rear side and not on Tail gate. On RHD models the spare was mounted on the left rear side and on the LHD models, it was on the RH rear side as can be seen in the pics.
Noticing the meters on the two we can reach a conclusion about the year of manufacture. The first is a larger meter meaning a late 50's to early sixties and the second pics is of a early to mid 50's

1962 willys cj3b 4wd-boschright.jpg
Name:  JeepRight.jpg
Views: 14990
Size:  62.6 KB

This is a RHD Mahindra version of the CJ3B, Notice the Spare wheel mount on the rear, LH side of the Jeep.
1962 willys cj3b 4wd-rear-jeep.jpg

P.S. Karl, could you source such lights for me too?? Pretty S

Last edited by V-16 : 8th July 2008 at 17:59. Reason: adding text
Old 10th November 2009, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Hi was just reading throught this thread, Were there any updates on this.
Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 18:45   #13
sat
BHPian

Quote:
If this is a CJ3B then the Spare should be mounted on the left rear of the Jeep (in case its a RHD and on the RIhgt in a LHD Jeep) and not on the tail gate as is on this one.
V-16,

The spare wheel was originally mounted on the side, was moved decades ago to the rear since this jeep would drive through villages with very narrow roads... in time will move the spare wheel back to the original position

One had to always keep in mind about the spare wheel on the side, quite easy to bump into something on narrow crowded roads.
Old 11th November 2009, 00:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

A pretty decent Jeep SAT. Good to know you are restoring it to a original engine, did it have the other fittings like shovel, spade and jerry can when you brought it. I am also planning to have a jeep for myself and sure I WILL!!

Can experts confirm how does a tail lamp of willys look like. are they same for all the model of willys. I would request experts to share pictures/comments of fitments which come along with the jeep for the benifit of all. thank you all.
Old 11th November 2009, 00:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Here is a pic of the late 50's central meter on a Willys
Attachment 27479
If I'm not mistaken, the station wagon too had the same one? (having difficulty in uploading images today! :()

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...p-img_2139.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 11th November 2009 at 00:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks