Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 09:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Cyrus..Another Fiat to your collection.Are u setting some World Record here !!!
Old 21st November 2007, 09:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Congrats Cyrus..Another Fiat to your collection.Are u setting some World Record here !!!
'wish I could set one such record like him!
Old 21st November 2007, 10:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
yep..10 fiats is the target.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That ignition key position!! Horrible. When I had converted ours to the steering locking column, had to have this ignition as dummy. The dash center mounted ignition remained.

Any specific reason for choosing a LHD S1 Deluxe over the RHD one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Exclusivity ?
ummm..yea..isnt that obvious...

Last edited by Dippy : 4th October 2010 at 11:18. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 21st November 2007, 12:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

But is it allowed to sell LHD vehicles in India ?? I dont think LHD version got homologated.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:40   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That ignition key position!! Horrible. When I had converted ours to the steering locking column, had to have this ignition as dummy. The dash center mounted ignition remained.
Its such a terrible short sighted design. My car used to be fitted with a similar system, but the switch was coloumn mounted on the side like most modern cars. It was a genuine Fiat item, made in Spain. Most convienent. Unfortunately the switch failed and im told is irrepairable.

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2007, 14:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
But is it allowed to sell LHD vehicles in India ?? I dont think LHD version got homologated.
The car was not sold in India. It was made here, exported to Abu Dhabi and Egypt im told. This particular car was re-imported by the previous owner, and hence is exemt from homologation. Besides, its not brand new, and was imported in 98, well before the laws got confusing.
Old 21st November 2007, 17:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I must point out one quirk all earlier Fiat owners can sympathise with.

Most Indian assembled Fiats, probably right up till the S1, had the bonnet release lever under the left hand side of the dash, originally intended for Left hand drive cars. Quite inconvenient to use for a sole driver. In the S1 it was shifted to the right, close to the driver. Now this LHD car is an S1 too, so the release lever continues to be on the right, while the driver now sits on the left. Somethings never change...
Old 21st November 2007, 22:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

my 1988 padmini has the bonnet release lever on the driver's side since day 1 (checked it with dad as well)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st November 2007 at 22:48.
planet_rocker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2007, 23:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
my 1988 padmini has the bonnet release lever on the driver's side since day 1 (checked it with dad as well)
So does my friend's 1989 padmini....an these are definitely pre-S1.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:14   #40

the lever was switched from left hand side to right hand side in the mid 1970s
Old 22nd November 2007, 00:46   #41

Behram here - OK guys - next steps (as usual, I think ahead).

1 - Get a Mumbai registration. The process is underway and any help is welcome. I can make the whole car but this area is not my forte. Mr.Kurian has very graciously agreed to give all help at his end, thanks Mr.Kurian.
2 - I am thinking of giving it the late 60s look. Long thin bumpers (with rear fender supports), long bumper guards, 1100D grille or chromodora italiana grille (just managed to get 2 good monograms of army and airforce vintage), super select type wheel rims, thin whitewall tyres, the original thin steering wheel, the round top and bottom covers of the delite combination switch, the 3 round meters etc etc
3 - Mechanically, the AC goes (in any case it is of no use in a 3 main bearing engine), the battery moves to the LH side and then I fit the 118NE derived but Padmini optimized Mikuni carburettor alongwith it's originally equipped idle compensator fitted air cleaner and dashpot controlled throttle. The intake manifold ? I designed it. I still have it. The accelerator ? cable operated optimized for Mikuni. The car already has a cable operating the solex now so 1/2 engineering is already in place. Then I swap the 3.9 axle ratio for the 4.3 axle ratio. The suspension and the brakes become new anyways. Even when we were driving down, I was effortlessly doing 120 on the solex. With the optimized Mikuni ----- hahaha. We will see what is power in a Padmini now. My aim is to get a silently cruising car but so fast as to be very difficult to catch.
3 - WHAT COLOUR ? The need is of a very subtle two-tone combination. I still prefer the upholstery to be black only. PLEASE SUGGEST AND LET"S DEBATE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds good. Are thin whitewalls available? I doubt it, if they are, do let me know.

I like the idea of the Swift grey and black top as you earlier suggested.

Full steam ahead!
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Even My uncles 77 model Padmini(not sure But I think it was a president) & our 84 model Padmini Deluxe BE had the bonnet release lever on RHS.
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

LHD Padmini

Nice car must be one fast S1 they sound real great...but the old free flow were almost Ferrari like I have not seen a better sound on anything after observing cars all over th world.

I noticed the headlamps are different when Mr. Kurian had it and now. Are those crystal beams of a fiat type or meant for another car say Gypsy...etc. I am looking for good crystal lights fiat type (can accomodate the small holder) but shops keep showing the taxi variety the diamond pattern crystal which looks cheesy I liked the cyrtal pattern on your car as they look more high quality...please help.
Old 23rd November 2007, 20:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I liked the cyrtal pattern on your car as they look more high quality...please help.
the clear lens type head lamp cluster from the Amby Grand is a direct fit in the Padminis/1100Ds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks