Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 13:37   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - you must be surprised why I am posting after so long. We start threads for each of our cars but when the restoration is complete the thread sort of dies down. Therefore I decided to post the current status.

Current status of MH01YA3238 (KL05G7629) - I use the car quite regularly to travel the 180 kms distance between Mumbai and Nasik. It takes me about 3 hours to cover the distance. I just drove down to Nasik this Monday evening. I do not drive beyond 100 kmph to preserve the engine and driveline forever. The bucket seats are very comfortable and the four point harness seat belts hold you to the seat as desired, giving a snug feel in the driver's seat. The clutch and gear controls are operated very carefully to prevent clashing etc. The 140/110 watts headlights are a delight to use as I get absolute daylight in front of the car, heaven help someone who does not dip his headlights. I use it everyday in Nasik to go to and from work. I also drive within Nasik city. I occasionally drive down to Devlali in the evenings to meet friends there or go to the fire temple (I went there yesterday and met our parsi priest Godrej uncle there). The car runs perfectly. I get a very decent 13 kmpl of fuel consumption in the "drive as you please" mode which includes intercity as well as in city runs. The Mikuni gives a good performance balance, not as powerful as the Solex but quite sufficient for longevity of aggregates. I would recommend the Mikuni anytime. I still have to optimize its jetting though which will improve the performance. I am going to change the muffler to the original S1 and the tailpipe diameter to 44.45 mm (1.75 inches) as the back pressure with the present setup is a shade on the higher side. I wash the car regularly at our pressure wash facility available to me and keep it very clean. I get very good comments from other motorists at traffic signals which makes the whole effort worthwhile.

So finally the car fulfills the purpose for which I purchased it in the first place. It will remain with me and my family forever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 13:43   #707

And i Still maintain that it doesnt have enough power.... Could we please have two Solexs on it!!!
Old 11th March 2009, 14:30   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - you must be surprised why I am posting after so long. We start threads for each of our cars but when the restoration is complete the thread sort of dies down. Therefore I decided to post the current status.

[
So finally the car fulfills the purpose for which I purchased it in the first place. It will remain with me and my family forever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
How about some photos for us nubies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
24-inch Dub Wheels, Gangsta Number Plate, 50 Cent Airbrush/Vinyl, G-Unit Sticker, Mesh Grille, all black paint (20 cans approx.) with tints, 16 speaker ICE with 4 LCD screens ... The list goes on.

SNEAK PEEK
Attachment 51977
What a nice poor-mans custom!

They have such great lines for creating something special.
have you done any work on the engine?

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th March 2009 at 15:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:24   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Please go through this thread. All photographs are here. I am posting four photographs of the car again, one before restoration and three after restoration.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-100_2636.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-pic1.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-pic2.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02408.jpg  

Old 11th March 2009, 15:37   #710
Senior - BHPian

Behram Sir, Your ride looks awesome! The passion is evident and is infectious!
Old 11th March 2009, 18:36   #711
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to change the muffler to the original S1
Noooooooo! Can you please work on some compromise? Half the soul of the rally theme lies in that lovely exhaust note.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:46   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Salil - I like the exhaust note too but I can feel the throttling effect which will open out with the S1 muffler. The same S1 original muffler is also fitted in MRF6466, please come and check out the exhaust note of 6466, it is quite good. Cyrus will show you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th March 2009, 23:22   #713

Quote:
Dear Salil - I like the exhaust note too but I can feel the throttling effect which will open out with the S1 muffler. The same S1 original muffler is also fitted in MRF6466, please come and check out the exhaust note of 6466, it is quite good. Cyrus will show you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I agree that the exhaust note of 6466 is quite good, but nothing as compared to the LHD. Here is video for you.

I know the quality of the video isnt very good.But still.....

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 13th March 2009 at 23:24.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:21   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I agree that the exhaust note of 6466 is quite good, but nothing as compared to the LHD. Here is video for you.

I know the quality of the video isnt very good.But still.....
Hi Cyrus, This is out of topic but it is of your very own interest.
About 18 years back when we had our office in mahim, there used to be a auto engine reboring and machining lathe workshop named Rupam Boring Works.
That time people like Farahad Bathena, Navaz Bathena, Nazeer Hussain, Hormezd Sorabjee used to come to this w/shop for upgrading their vehicles mostly FIATS with high lift cam shafts, polished head ports etc.
That time a Fiat used to come to this place a very strange thing about this car was it had you know what .....
It had 2 Steering wheels on both side
2 nos.gear levers
2 nos. indicator switches
2 nos.horn buttons
2 nos.brake pedals
2 nos. clutch pedals
2 nos.accelaretor pedals
That person who owned it had a garage somewhere he used to come sometimes driving either sides always .
Dont know where it is now

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th August 2009 at 19:33. Reason: Please remove U tube link while quoting, readability. Thanks
Old 31st August 2009, 15:56   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Iqbal Veerji - thanks for the very interesting information. I had seen a similar VW Beetle in Goa in 1982.

Dear all - just thinking loud, how about converting my left hand drive as follows - Black colour with Fiat 1100 delight trim, thin bumpers (I have a set), aluminium grille (I have it), quarter windows in the front doors (I have the doors), Fiat clip-on type wheel rims (I have the wheel rims), with fiat wheel caps (I have the wheel caps), thin steering wheel and instrument console, all painted in the classic cream colour (I think it can be painted, Amol has done it and it seems to be working) with cream coloured seats but again without the white sidewall tyres. The scoop on the bonnet will go (I have spare bonnets) and the roll cage will be covered in black leather trim. Do let me know.

Can some of you please photoshop this?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st August 2009, 16:39   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - just thinking loud, how about converting my left hand drive as follows - Black colour with Fiat 1100 delight trim, thin bumpers (I have a set), aluminium grille (I have it), quarter windows in the front doors (I have the doors), Fiat clip-on type wheel rims (I have the wheel rims), with fiat wheel caps (I have the wheel caps), thin steering wheel and instrument console, all painted in the classic cream colour (I think it can be painted, Amol has done it and it seems to be working) with cream coloured seats but again without the white sidewall tyres. The scoop on the bonnet will go (I have spare bonnets) and the roll cage will be covered in black leather trim. Do let me know.

Can some of you please photoshop this?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Again !!

Behram you have work cutout for you for the next six months I guess.
Old 31st August 2009, 16:47   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - just thinking loud, how about converting my left hand drive as follows - Black colour with Fiat 1100 delight trim ...
Dear Behram Dhabhar,

You still running her with Nylon Tyres? I had fiat in my family, I experienced cornering with Nylon Tires even in speed 50 - 60 Kmph bit scary. Can't you change it to decent radials? It would give it mean look, Isn't it.

Just thought of my bit. If you want to keep it original then fine. Please let us know your opinion.

Also did you put AC in this beauty?

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2009 at 14:08. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 1st September 2009, 00:35   #718
Senior - BHPian

Wow Behram that's JUST the way she should be. However, I love the crommodora grille you have, and with the delight monogram it looks awesome. Go for it. Please have hubcaps without bolts..
Finally, go for a castingwalla number plate.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:32   #719
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram,
Let me ask you a question. Why you have removed those original "OK" stickers and all from the front windshield. Any particular reasoning.
Any how, a great job done and executed with pin point precision.
I had been following this explot on a continuous manner as a newbie and also as a non-member before that.
Hearty congrats.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:00   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajeev k - To answer your query, I like my cars to be completely devoid of any sticker except our Zoroastrian "Asho Farohar" (what others refer to as the "Flying Bawaji" or the "Winged Angel"), so I removed all stickers. Do it and then wash the car yourself. You will get a completely different feeling when you see a sparkling clean glass without anything on it. I know that there are sticklers for originality out there but I am not one of them. I do up my car "exactly the way I want it". Period. Thank you for appreciating the efforts. It is one hell of an assignment, doing something like this alongwith a normal job also. I have restored 4 of my cars, it is very tiring and frustrating at times but in the end, it's all worth the effort.

Dear all - the monsoon is receeding, time for BLL4919, MRF6466 and MH01YA3238 to come out of hibernation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 29th September 2009 at 18:00. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks