Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 20:17   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Anirban - on brakes, it is the TVS Girling. The front wheel cylinders had leaked off completely. The hoses were not OEM so were expanding under pressure (poor Bawaji must have been taken for a BAKRA by his garage for years, sob sob, same old story for me, nothing new).

I have also replaced the accelerator pedal (no silly play and stickiness now). Yesterday I replaced the carburettor. Threw away the choke plate (it has a nasty habit of closing at the most in\opportune times). The carburettor was leaking (which one does'nt) so fitted the Bicsa (a-la the 5507 sale). Threw away the dynamo (Karl - it was not working at all, the armature had burnt, even the mounting threads had disintegrated, it was just hanging in there, otherwise I would have just given it to you for some long awaited "concours" of yours), and fitted an alternator. Just cutoff all the silly and dirty wiring. Threw away non-working horns. Replaced battery terminals. Fitted a brand new battery. There was no battery bracket, which was organised in 5 minutes. It took me just 30 minutes to get the complete electricals sorted out. The headlights now work better. I don't think these headlights ever worked like this. I now have to go to my trademark 140 watts daylight, which I will do shortly. Adjusted the steering play once again, aligned the steering wheel etc.

Now next in line - radiator. I will use the same radiator but I will overhaul it completely with hose connections suitable for non-AC application. Then the suspension and then tyres. The suspension on this car is soooooo funny. Oversize control arm on RH side, standard control arm on LH side. 20 mm shims on RH side. No shims on LH side. You must see the nonsensical handling to believe it.To garage owners - BAKRA banao lekin koi limit to rakho !

Now BLB1144 has started moving. Water from the tailpipe is a foregone conclusion. I will fit the Mikuni and see how it works but for that I have to fit a fuel return line, which I will do shortly.

Whew !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th February 2008, 22:02   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I have also replaced the accelerator pedal (no silly play and stickiness now). Yesterday I replaced the carburettor. Threw away the choke plate (it has a nasty habit of closing at the most in\opportune times). The carburettor was leaking (which one does'nt) so fitted the Bicsa (a-la the 5507 sale).
the car still doesnt move...try to take a flyover in 4th..it just refuses...and it does natak even it third...

Quote:
The headlights now work better. I don't think these headlights ever worked like this. I now have to go to my trademark 140 watts daylight, which I will do shortly. Adjusted the steering play once again, aligned the steering wheel etc.
RUBBISH...there are no headlights in this car...there are reflectors with candels in them...

and the steering wheel is still not alligned...

Quote:
Now BLB1144 has started moving. Water from the tailpipe is a foregone conclusion. I will fit the Mikuni and see how it works but for that I have to fit a fuel return line, which I will do shortly.
Whew !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar[/quote]

hope the mikuni comes soon...this car DOES NOT go the way 5507 used to...that thing was a rocket..too bad that engined got ruined...
Cyrus43 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2008, 22:06   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The suspension on this car is soooooo funny. Oversize control arm on RH side, standard control arm on LH side. 20 mm shims on RH side. No shims on LH side. You must see the nonsensical handling to believe it.To garage owners - BAKRA banao lekin koi limit to rakho !
Same story everywhere. Even on our car we found the right side coil spring having an extra turn welded to the coil spring, the left side had an oversized lower arm.

Since I was taking my time-off to oversee the suspension assembly, I could note what had been taken off our car. This was in 2005. Convincing the mech about going my way was a mommoth task. He says all these engineering principles works in showroom cars not cars that have sustained abuse over time, just told him, it does not work because he does not have a level floor anywhere within his garage. Few days later took Dad's vintage theodolite and bubble level to prove to him. He was like completely bonkers.

He did the change and the car was slanting to one side, and was pointing it to me, told him , that I will give him the feedback once the thing comes back home, where it showed perfectly level.

Speaking of it, I havn't found any single garage where you have qualified mechanics as well as level flooring in Kolkata.
Old 25th February 2008, 22:36   #169
Senior - BHPian

Panel behind the front bumper, did it ever come out of the factory like that?
Old 25th February 2008, 22:50   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
no it is not original..the front panel either came with 12 holes all vertical oval shaped thingies..or it was just normal with no holes...
Old 25th February 2008, 23:14   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen it on a few early/mid 80s fiats.....mightve been some accessory fitting....'can be seen on this one (although there seem to be 2 cars used!) in this song (at 00:54):

Last edited by Stanher : 25th February 2008 at 23:19.
Old 26th February 2008, 22:16   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
no it is not original..the front panel either came with 12 holes all vertical oval shaped thingies..or it was just normal with no holes...
Correction: Horizontal.
Old 26th February 2008, 23:41   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correction: Horizontal.
If you mean the holes as in the 137D/S1, correction again: they are neither vertical nor horizontal- they are more like the start and stop boxes in flowcharts (sounds simpler when you relate it to computer lingo these days, doesnt it? )
Old 27th February 2008, 12:41   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Cyrus, BLB1144 has an idiotic fan which is so big that it must be reducing engine power drastically. There is a lot of driveline friction also which we need to eliminate, tyres included.

Dad
Old 28th February 2008, 17:24   #175
BHPian

Behram/Cyrus- dont know if uve thought but you could use 1144 front doors for LHD to give it the period look.
Old 28th February 2008, 18:01   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Behram/Cyrus- dont know if uve thought but you could use 1144 front doors for LHD to give it the period look.
Whats different in the doors Kavesh? Do you mean the quarter windows? They could be fitted seperately.
Old 28th February 2008, 18:12   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no love lost for quarter windows. If I feel like it, I will do it. But Ksvesh's idea is good. My RTO fellow told me that it MAY BE possible that I get the MH01 number on Saturday. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th February 2008, 18:40   #178
CBD
BANNED

Quote:
I have no love lost for quarter windows. If I feel like it, I will do it. But Ksvesh's idea is good. My RTO fellow told me that it MAY BE possible that I get the MH01 number on Saturday. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
hope you get the number soon and hope that the work on the car starts soon.

you should consider your sons idea about the red and black twins though.
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:00   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

BLB1144 update:
On BLB1144, I have now changed the timing chain and sprockets, fitted a non-A/C radiator with new hose pipes and all new hose clips, a new water pump, a new "normal production" 4 bladed fan from excel auto, a new water pump pulley. As it was an eyesore, I removed the "silly" wheel caps and threw them out (sorry Karl - they were all damaged). I also added protective plastic hub caps on the wheels to protect the wheel bearings from dust and water ingress. I also changed the two rear tyres. After doing all this work, the engine started on just half a crank, indicating that the timing chain assembly procedure was correct (most people do not know the process, it is quite confusing, so if anybody wants it, please ask. If not done properly, power will not come). The engine makes "normal" sounds now instead of the silly grinding and humming sound which previously came from the worn out water pump and the huge fan. The car accelerates better too.

Guess what ? I picked up a beautiful and totally undamaged aluminium grille for a pittance and fitted it too.

Next in line - front suspension of course. All in a day's work !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:08   #180
BHPian

My 1976 padmini, one of a kind

Guys check out my 1976 padmini, in original Golden Drop colour. This Car has never been repainted, done 91K kms in the past 32 years.
It has full service history, original and duplicate keys, the owners manual. The body has never been touched, not a spot of rust anywhere.

Truly one of a kind.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc00109.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc00110.jpg  

boeuff is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed