Old 25th November 2007, 21:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I thought you wanted a genuine classic.
I did.

Quote:
Any reason for gutting out and hot-rodding a period car, rather than just picking a contemporary car with all its comforts, reliability and after sales service?
However, I also wanted to have a classic that would run - not one that would stay in the garage. Like I mentioned, the OHV and probably a Sidevalve engine will be retained, as will the original gearbox and diff - SHOULD I wish to return to original specs at some time.

There is also a slightly sentimental reason for going down this route rather than buying a new (and therefore reliable) car.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Steer,

Congrats on the car and all the best for the restoration. This will be a great thread to follow.

cheers
Old 25th November 2007, 21:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Steer all the very best for the project and am sure it will exceed expectations when completely done.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

All the best for the project, Steer. You have one lucky Dad!
Old 25th November 2007, 22:06   #20
BHPian

do you have a deadline in mind?

And regarding the retrofit of power steering, Is power steering assembly available COTS?
Old 26th November 2007, 00:58   #21
BHPian

All the best with the restoration Steer, Thats a neat list uv made out there, power steering, AC man its gona be one dream machine. When is it expected to be ready. The work on my car is going on at a slow pace..expecting it to be ready by the end of December.
Old 26th November 2007, 01:12   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

It is a lovely car, Steeroid. Do paint it in a non-metallic muted pastel color.

And moonstone (silver) paint was not originally used on the wheels of period Landmasters and Ambassadors.

They used body color.

Standard Heralds used white and Fiats used moonstone (silver) paint for the wheels post the early Dukkars, which like the Heralds used white.

White wall tires really accentuate the classic beauty of this car. Finding wide white walls would be even better.

Do post pics of the rear and the left side and the dashboard and steering wheel also before you start to repair and repaint.

And if I remember right the Landmaster bonnet had an air inlet scoop on the bonnet.

Your car seems to have the scoop deleted. And your car seems to have the optional OEM chrome cover over the starting crank hole.

Ram
Old 26th November 2007, 01:15   #23
BHPian

congrats guyz....if you require any assistance do let me know. my partners dad has the same model and is in showroom condition since they were dealers and service spares providers for landmaster in india then.
Old 26th November 2007, 01:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

At the outset congrats on your buy, steer!

Good to know you've got our team support all the way!

Quote:
Standard Heralds used white and Fiats used moonstone (silver) paint for the wheels post the early Dukkars, which like the Heralds used white.
Not that I wish to contradict an expert here , but I find Heralds (& presumably all the related 'small' standard cars, viz. Super 10, pennant, companion, Gazel) had off-white rather than just white wheels...

Quote:
White wall tires really accentuate the classic beauty of this car. Finding wide white walls would be even better.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th November 2007 at 01:24.
Old 26th November 2007, 01:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
And if I remember right the Landmaster bonnet had an air inlet scoop on the bonnet.
Your car seems to have the scoop deleted.Ram
Ram all the Landmasters that i have seen didnt have that air inlet scoop on the bonnet. Not sure if they came only in the Morris Oxfords.

This pic of a Landmaster was sent to me by Karl, it doesnt have the scoop.

and this a pic of the Oxford taken from the net, it has the scoops.
Old 26th November 2007, 09:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Landmasters never featured the scoop according to me, though the Morris Oxfords did, as illustrated here, also featuring the chrome embellishment on the crank hole.

Old 26th November 2007, 11:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
do you have a deadline in mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
When is it expected to be ready. The work on my car is going on at a slow pace..expecting it to be ready by the end of December.
The target date is end-January '08. I think we should be able to make it.

Quote:
Funnily, the Indian LMs never seemed to have this scoop. However we'll try to put it in if we can get the original grille for scoop - I'll check on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
also featuring the chrome embellishment on the crank
Karl - did the vehicle have the chrome cover on the crank hole when it left Pune? It didnt have the cover (had the rest of the assembly though) when it reached Bangalore.

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th November 2007 at 11:25.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4. Retrofit a Weber-carbed Conti engine, transmission and differential.
Quote:
6. Fit suitable power steering.
These will probably change track areas. It'll look nice but won't be original. Will improve body roll to a great extent...

1. If Conti diff/axle combo coming (and it should, to take the load) as is. I don't know if HM has done something in this area to shorten drive axle length.

2. For fitting disk brake and may be due to new steering box for fitting power steering.

Steer, for power steering source it from HM only. Do not try to fit it from other makes. I know at least 10 of these types who having leakage and other issues.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Karl - did the vehicle have the chrome cover on the crank hole when it left Pune? It didnt have the cover (had the rest of the assembly though) when it reached Bangalore.
Nope, it was missing the cover and hinge earlier too.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Wow Steer, this must be one exciting project. While I agree that restoring everything to original is a romantic idea, one has to consider practical aspects. After all, it won't be used in 1960s traffic. It needs some modern fitments to make it road worthy in 21st century. You have to put functionality above form.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed