Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 00:29   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Dual fans?? 'havent heard of these before! 'am curious to know what they look like- pics. anyone?
Really??? Well they are standard on almost all modern cars. One fan is there to cool the radiator & is also usually twin-speed depending on temperature & load. While the other fan is there to cool the condensor & starts working when the A/C is switched on.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:38   #422
BHPian

A/C Parts And Components are available (Including Fans) From A Small Shop Called Kairali On the way from Palarivattom to Thammanam. Or Of Course we could look at the place near caravan where it was done up. In my car the coolant used to bubble out from the expansion bottle and get thrown all over the front windshield. My Car's Heating Probs were solved using a Behr-IFB Single Speed Fan From The Tata Indica. Cost was 1800 bucks.

Do not change the radiator, thats the best radiator in available thats currently in the car and it costs a tonne.

Cut the sheet metal in the places i have marked(if there is any sheet there) to increase airflow. I also thought people were saying bovine excreta when someone suggested the same to me,but it does wonders.

My Landmaster Project-san_0794-111.jpg

Check weather the Radiator Fan i.e the White Plasticky one behind the radiator is flexing too much if so change that too because under high speeds due to centrifugal force it will start to bent and the airflow will decrease due to the change in the leaf angles. The Best fan for that application is made my a manufacture called "INJECTO"

Last and not the least check that the Radiator cap is not choked.

On a different note, is it none of it and that 507 Compressor is it too much for the Landy ?
Old 16th July 2008, 09:46   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Really??? Well they are standard on almost all modern cars. One fan is there to cool the radiator & is also usually twin-speed depending on temperature & load. While the other fan is there to cool the condensor & starts working when the A/C is switched on.
Aha..modern cars! No wonder I'm not familiar with them!

Thanks for the clarification anyway, Ishaan!

Last edited by Stanher : 16th July 2008 at 09:47.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:24   #424
BHPian

JayD,

Since the A/C is freezing the car , I suspect that the pulley ratios are too high, causing a high load at the crank. See if you can get a larger pulley at the compressor end, thereby reducing the load at the crank and consequently turning the igloo into the nilgiris.

The water pump pulley might also be too large. See if you can get a smaller pulley there, thereby increasing the waterflow and gettting the fan to spin at a higher speed.

A more mordern option would be to try and convert to an electric dual fan setup. this works much better in the slow speed traffic situations. Indica would be a good source.

Let us know what you find

Vijay
Old 16th July 2008, 12:10   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Seriously, that Jalwa horn (thanks Quicksilver!) can make you jump out of your skin. JayD gave me the Jalwa treatment while I was directing the car into the parking lot at my apartment, and I was shocked.
I am glad I could do my part Steeriod. Brings back old memories of my Dad spending days together on tuning these up. If you thought the Jalwas were good, wait till you get the Bosch horns fitted in. It needs a good amount of tuning up though, so take it to someone who knows this stuff (one of those 60 year old mechanics would be the best bet).

Just curious about one thing... the front and rear wheels and the axle/bolt at the center of the wheel. There is a small stainless steel/nickel plated cup available from COX that covers just the hub/axle bolt (sorry I do not know what this is called). Do you want me to check here for that one?
Old 16th July 2008, 13:11   #426
Senior - BHPian

Will be going to the garage soon. Have to check the option of fitting twin fans on it. Will also check out the pulley size issue as prabhuav has said.

I have a feeling that it could be something to do with the relocation of the coolant bottle for the ac installation, as now the pipe from the radiator to the coolant bottle has to take a u turn just after the radiator cap, and maybe this is limiting the coolant flow. Will see if we can move it back to the original location.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:17   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear JayD - changing pulley ratios is not easy and normally they are OK so don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. A good electric fan is a good option, what you need is high mass air flow through the condenser. PM me if you want more details. Also give complete pictures of engine compartment for me to make perfect recommendations to you.

Don't waste time, energy and money for something which is not a sureshot solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th July 2008, 14:15   #428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
She has a single Fan, and its working fine, IIRC, its a single speed one.

Pavan, The engine is not new, so i dont think it needs to be run in. The eng is real smooth and powerful too.

Before the A/C was fitted, the temp was 80+/- 5, but now, after 5 mins of A/C use, it starts climbing to 120!!

The condensor is in front of the radiator, and yes it blocks the air to the radiator, we need to do something about the additional fan ASAP.
Engine ! i meant weather its been rebored and given a new life- if yes we still need to run-in.

And about the Radiator and Condensor fitment, the engine fan can sufficiently cool the coolant and the engine, if you have a good a/c guy the condensor can also be fitted vertically near the radiator(Just like the turbo intercooler fitment in the Safari) or near the side fenders with fins cut for air flow. OR i've seen some condensors getting fixed at the rear below the fuel tank with an additional fan.

An additional fan for the condensor will do a lot good for that lovely Landy.

Behram is perfectly right in what he says.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th July 2008 at 14:16.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:40   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha..modern cars! No wonder I'm not familiar with them!
I guessed as much!!

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification anyway, Ishaan!
Here's a picture for reference:

My Landmaster Project-img_9167-large.jpg
Old 16th July 2008, 16:29   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear JayD - changing pulley ratios is not easy and normally they are OK so don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. A good electric fan is a good option, what you need is high mass air flow through the condenser. PM me if you want more details. Also give complete pictures of engine compartment for me to make perfect recommendations to you.

Don't waste time, energy and money for something which is not a sureshot solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram,

Slightly wavering from the topic

Which design do you think is most efficient.

- cooling coil & radiator coil one behind the other as in your LHD.

or

- cooling coil & radiator coil side ways having independent fans for each, like the one fitted in my car by Starline.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:26   #431
BHPian

What was the Make/Model/Spec of the tyres on our baby ? it's running with tubes of course right ? i just remeber it was 205/** R15. Fill me in please.
Old 17th July 2008, 02:07   #432
BHPian

the tyres on the car are Apollo Accelere Sport .. 205/60 R15. i am not sure whether it is running on tubes. not likely though, should be tubeless.
Old 17th July 2008, 02:07   #433
Senior - BHPian

It's running Apollo Accelere Sportz, size I do not know.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:51   #434
Senior - BHPian

The car is still at the garage. They had a lil trouble in removing the steering rack which grew too 'attached' with the body and didn't want to come out even after all the bolts and clamps were removed! So they had to do all the work without completely removing the rack!

The work on the rear suspension is progressing, the leafs have been taken out, and the main leafs need to be replaced and the diff has to be aligned.
Attached Thumbnails
My Landmaster Project-170720081491.jpg  

My Landmaster Project-170720081490.jpg  

My Landmaster Project-160720081489.jpg  

Old 17th July 2008, 18:01   #435
Senior - BHPian

JayD what tail lamp is that? Are they OE??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks