Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 12:50   #211
Team-BHP Support

Well if your planning on some serious stuff, you may as well do the damping now when the car's stripped. The whole roof, floor board, boot, doors, spare wheel well. That is if it's some serious high end stuff going in there.

You could use that damping spray (I think Wurth) which I think Mad monkey had done on his RS.
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:04   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would like to go with Sam Bhai opinion. I think the HU is far more than you require. If you are considering only the looks then don't spend on it.
Point taken. It looks killer, though. Can you suggest another HU that looks similar, then? I had one suggestion for a Becker Mexico, which looks retro enough but is BLACK. The interior of the car will be Deep Tan.

Quote:
Like you mentioned that you need a stealth install. What all equipement you plan to install. For me a car audio setup must consist of the follow this will be considered to the bare minimum for me.

1) HU
2) Front components
3) Subwoofer
4) 4-ch amp

This is the minimuim I will recommend to anyone. So what is your catch.
All those will be there - except a heavy sub. No BOOM BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Well if your planning on some serious stuff, you may as well do the damping now when the car's stripped. The whole roof, floor board, boot, doors, spare wheel well. That is if it's some serious high end stuff going in there.

You could use that damping spray (I think Wurth) which I think Mad monkey had done on his RS.
Thanks vid - I'll ask about this.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd June 2008 at 13:18.
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:06   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

About the damping: Spray or apply-on or sheets, even if you do not plan to get a killer ICE system, do it anyways.
It will make the car feel even more thunky and solid and will reduce noise levels in the cabin anyways.

Not to mention the wonders it will do for the sound.
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

How about this?

My Landmaster Project-model-1.jpg

Except for the Digital Display, it may fit nicely below the Landmaster dash?

Retrosound Model One Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:29   #215
Senior - BHPian

The Panasonic HU is available for about $500 on some sites.

My hunt for an alternative continues, with this one from Clarion. I dont quite like it, though:

My Landmaster Project-clarion-wxz468rmp.jpg
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:35   #216
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Becker ?
Becker Mexico Retro 7942 - Navigation / Car Navigation Radio - T-Online Shop

My Landmaster Project-7948beckermexico_persp.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 22nd June 2008 at 14:37.
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:41   #217
BHPian

Becker Mexico is about $1200+ right? But it really does look retro

Steer, why dont you do like this guy did?
Old 22nd June 2008, 15:35   #218
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Becker Mexico is expensive and wont go with the rest of the car.

Here's another I found, perfect for the Landy except for the Chevy label - I'm sure we can do something about that. EDIT: You can order with or without the Factory badges.

My Landmaster Project-radio_usa6_xl.jpg

Concours Series USA-6 Vintage Car Radio .com

QUESTION: If I'm ordering from the site I need to specify whether the grounding will be Negative or Positive. Which one should I choose?

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd June 2008 at 15:40.
Old 22nd June 2008, 16:32   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Requirements:

1. SQ setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If you just want 4 speakers and a nice HU to give you simple clean music, then don't waste your money on this. Just get a simple decent JVC, pioneer, blaupunkt etc HU.
Quote:
I would like to go with Sam Bhai opinion. I think the HU is far more than you require.
Hey-lo!?! Gentleman wants an SQ system, and you guys are actually discouraging him? So what if the post isnt in the ICE section, we still have a reputation to live up to!

The Retrosound and Concours dont have cd player on-board. Need to connect a cd changer, or use a USB stick (Retrosound only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
QUESTION: If I'm ordering from the site I need to specify whether the grounding will be Negative or Positive. Which one should I choose?
All common Indian cars are negative ground. Dont know about your Landmaster. You can check by seeing which of the cables from the battery is grounded.

Is a used Panny valve HU fine?
Old 22nd June 2008, 16:34   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Is a used Panny valve HU fine?
Should be fine - thats the one that will go with the vehicle BEST. No two ways about it - anything else will be a compromise.

BTW you can only get used Panny Valve HUs - they've allegedly stopped production of these so the only available ones are used.
Old 22nd June 2008, 17:04   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
That's it. You may have to change the bolt positions to accommodate Gypsy rim. Unless they've done that already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Steer, instead of the conti rims, go for gypsy ones. They are a better match for this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Steeroid, Wouldn't the Conti steel rims be a little small for the Landmaster's wheel well? The Landie have 15" wheels where as the Conti wheels are only 13". If going for Conti wheels then a very high profile tyre would be required to fill those arches.
UPDATE: The car has been modified to a multi-PCD setup so yes it can take Gypsy wheels. They will take pics with Gypsy rims tomorrow.

So what about TYRES? Good old MRF Legend chalega?
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:17   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

That paintjob is looking phenomenol. Im floored!

Why have the bootlid hinges been changed to the cheapie modern style thicker ones? If the originals were damaged, hunt for a used set they should be very easy to get.
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:34   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Why have the bootlid hinges been changed to the cheapie modern style thicker ones? If the originals were damaged, hunt for a used set they should be very easy to get.
Wait for updated pics tomorrow. They've picked up a lot of original Landy spares, from what I hear. These pics are from Tuesday/Wednesday last.

Karlos can you try and find that crank-start hole cover on the bumper that was there on the original pic you sent me? If I'm not mistaken that is one of the pieces they havent been able to find.

We now have 3 engines - the current carbed Isuzu on it now, GTO's Isuzu and GB (on standby duty) and the super-smooth OHV engine and GB that it came with.

Please help me finish the paperwork so we can move towards getting it registered ASAP.
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:05   #224
Senior - BHPian

There is a guy in Bangy who makes tyres for vintage cars. He has lots of cars too. Read about him in KF's magazine when I was on a flight to Bangy.
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:08   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There is a guy in Bangy who makes tyres for vintage cars. He has lots of cars too. Read about him in KF's magazine when I was on a flight to Bangy.
His name is Pradeep Khanolkar. He will open up a treasure trove of spares - if only Rudra can give us some glossy prints of the MB ads for India. The guy is a Merc freak and has all of Rudra's ads cut out from newspapers /mags and framed all over his house.

Rudy give us some prints na - thats the only way to his heart.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks