Byas,

That site really works.

What could this be.

Chasis Number: 117-7493812
Engine Number: H0-691-447
Yr of Mgfg: 1967

I found this in my RC Book.

As per the RC this Vehicle was registered in Mumbai (MRE)on 14-05-1970

and Re registered in Bangalore(CAX) on 04-04-1985 with a new number.
Boss it must be MRF and not MRE as MRE was meant for scooters and motorcycles, my brothe rin law had a lambretta with no. MRE
Old 6th April 2010, 20:05   #182
BANNED

It must be sir, the RC book is really old and old writings are hardly readable.

I am yet to come across another 1500cc 1967 car.

Our Bangalore club has almost 50 cars, but not another 1500 in the club.

Got the engine tins from our good old Gujri last week. Now my next job is to get the original dynamo running and fit the engine tins and finish the engine room restoration. This is the most awaited restoration for me. Coz my engine room had been incomplete since the last 8 yrs.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:51   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It must be sir, the RC book is really old and old writings are hardly readable.

I am yet to come across another 1500cc 1967 car.

Our Bangalore club has almost 50 cars, but not another 1500 in the club.

Got the engine tins from our good old Gujri last week. Now my next job is to get the original dynamo running and fit the engine tins and finish the engine room restoration. This is the most awaited restoration for me. Coz my engine room had been incomplete since the last 8 yrs.
I have seen only 2 beetels here in and both of them were having 1500 cc engine .one cars owner told me that his car was having 1300 cc engine and was replaced with a 1500 engine which had come in some other backengine volkswagon car probably variant .this car had a MEJ numer plate.The other car which was white color had a 1500 badge at the back.This was about a few mths ago.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:26   #184
BHPian

It'a a 1972 1302 with a 1300cc DP engine. the 1500 badge is incorrect. It would be the right badge for Pavan's car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hi Pawan..Spotted this Beetle in Hyderabad at my Mechanic.He has completly done it and is up for grabs.It hails from Karnataka.
The engine is all done and its a LHD.What do you think?
Old 8th April 2010, 23:41   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
I have seen only 2 beetels here in and both of them were having 1500 cc engine .one cars owner told me that his car was having 1300 cc engine and was replaced with a 1500 engine which had come in some other backengine volkswagon car probably variant .this car had a MEJ numer plate.The other car which was white color had a 1500 badge at the back.This was about a few mths ago.
Thats nice, BTW, i was talking about genuine 1500cc 1967 VW Beetle.

What qualifies for a true 1967 1500cc are, very simple to identify

1) 5 lug rims
2) Front Disc brakes
3) 1500cc HO series engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
It'a a 1972 1302 with a 1300cc DP engine. the 1500 badge is incorrect. It would be the right badge for Pavan's car though.
How good is that car Byas, a good friend of mine is keen on that car.

As per the owner, and my limited knowledge, its a Brazilian Super Beetle, coz all the specs match.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:44   #186
BHPian

The 1500 was never offered as a dual port (DP) engine. The engine photo clearly shows a dual port intake. So, it's not a 1500. It most likely is a 1300 judging by the trim level on the car. The supers were all made in germany with the possible exception of a few that were partially assembled in Aus. So, if from Brazil, this was probably an import into Brazil.

These are pretty much like any other beetle of its vintage. The Mcpherson front struts are prone to shimmies if the wheels are not balanced properly, aligned, and the bushings are not in good condition.

BN
Old 9th April 2010, 16:03   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Thats nice, BTW, i was talking about genuine 1500cc 1967 VW Beetle.

What qualifies for a true 1967 1500cc are, very simple to identify

1) 5 lug rims
2) Front Disc brakes
3) 1500cc HO series engine

How good is that car Byas, a good friend of mine is keen on that car.

As per the owner, and my limited knowledge, its a Brazilian Super Beetle, coz all the specs match.
to the best of my knowledge, 5 lug rims came only till july 67 beetles.
and you have mentioned earlier in this thread your beetle was a September 1967 beetle which is true??
and as few other have already said in this forum there is nothing special or limited about 1500 cc beetles.they have come from 1965 to 72 or so.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:56   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
to the best of my knowledge, 5 lug rims came only till july 67 beetles.
and you have mentioned earlier in this thread your beetle was a September 1967 beetle which is true??
and as few other have already said in this forum there is nothing special or limited about 1500 cc beetles.they have come from 1965 to 72 or so.

With VW Beetle's, you cant get tooooo precise with the exterior fitments, due to it being the largest produced car those days, lots of specs remained same while some significant changes made time to time.

The whole world knows 1500cc Bugs are limited and are special, compared to any bugs around.

There's nothing wrong in that,and i am proud of owning one such piece

Last edited by Dippy : 14th April 2010 at 09:14. Reason: Deleting the personal reference.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:08   #189
BANNED

Quote:

With VW Beetle's, you cant get tooooo precise with the exterior fitments, due to it being the largest produced car those days, lots of specs remained same while some significant changes made time to time.

The whole world knows 1500cc Bugs are limited and are special, compared to any bugs around.

There's nothing wrong in that,and i am proud of owning one such piece
Dont brush aside when someone asks something specific.
I can bet my humble penny that not a single bug which was produced after August1,1967 came with 5 lug rims and oval headlites.if you can prove it otherwise it will be an eyeopener for all bug lovers here and also a feather in your cap.

Last edited by Dippy : 14th April 2010 at 09:14. Reason: Deleting personal reference from quoted post.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:42   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico
I know only little about beetles.

Dont brush aside when someone asks something specific.
I can bet my humble penny that not a single bug which was produced after August1,1967 came with 5 lug rims and oval headlites.if you can prove it otherwise it will be an eyeopener for all bug lovers here and also a feather in your cap.
I did not know, every car got registered the same month they were manufactured.

As per me, my car in specific was registered in September 1967.

I have applied for the Birth certificate for my car, sometime soon, i'll have more info on my very own BUG

Last edited by Dippy : 14th April 2010 at 09:07. Reason: Deleting off topic content
Old 9th April 2010, 23:49   #191
BHPian

Pavan, regarding this 1500 cc Beetle rarity charade that you've been at for long, are you aware of the fact that more than 1.8 million 1500 cc Beetles were made? And before you start on about their rarity in India, let me tell you that even today I alone know of at least 40+ 1500 cc Beetles across just Delhi, Poona, Bombay, Calcutta, forget the rest of the country. And then, before you also start off on the rarity of the '67 1500, let me tell you that I know of at least 15-18 of them too. And, all this I know despite the fact that I probably don't spend even half an hour in an entire month in tracking 'deals' out there - I know the cars and their owners on a purely one-to-one basis.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:57   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Pavan, regarding this 1500 cc Beetle rarity charade that you've been at for long, are you aware of the fact that more than 1.8 million 1500 cc Beetles were made? And before you start on about their rarity in India, let me tell you that even today I alone know of at least 40+ 1500 cc Beetles across just Delhi, Poona, Bombay, Calcutta, forget the rest of the country. And then, before you also start off on the rarity of the '67 1500, let me tell you that I know of at least 15-18 of them too. And, all this I know despite the fact that I probably don't spend even half an hour in an entire month in tracking 'deals' out there - I know the cars and their owners on a purely one-to-one basis.
More the merrier.

To correct you, the 1500cc engines came into existence only in late 1966.

Wish i had as much time as you have

P.S = A proper 1967 1500cc VW Beetle is rare.

A small note from the VW wiki:

1967 Beetle 1500CC

1967 the 1500 Beetle was announced. Offering improved performance, it used a 1493cc engine, with the same dimensions as the Type 2 vehicles, to give 44bhp DIN at 4000rpm (or 53bhp SAE), with improved torque. The 1500 model included the fitment of front disc brakes, the rear suspension revisions improved road behaviour, reducing oversteer. The six-volt electrical system converted to twelve-volt. The "Fifteen", as it is affectionately known, rates as one of the best Beetles ever made and these cars are consequently sought-after by enthusiasts.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th April 2010 at 00:09.
Old 10th April 2010, 00:10   #193
BHPian

Quote:
More the merrier. P.S = A proper 1967 1500cc VW Beetle is rare.
No, it's not. See both your and my posts, above and below.

Quote:
And then, before you also start off on the rarity of the '67 1500, let me tell you that I know of at least 15-18 of them too.
Quote:
Wish i had as much time as you have
Quote:
And, all this I know despite the fact that I probably don't spend even half an hour in an entire month in tracking 'deals' out there - I know the cars and their owners on a purely one-to-one basis.
Again, trying to play with words, and attempting to mislead. Some D-BHPians have asked you in the past to be gracious, and admit, but for some reason you don't and surprisingly get away with it too.
Old 10th April 2010, 00:18   #194
BANNED

Quote:
No, it's not. See both your and my posts, above and below.

Again, trying to play with words, and attempting to mislead. Some D-BHPians have asked you in the past to be gracious, and admit, but for some reason you don't and surprisingly get away with it too.
here a little bit.

Prabal, i am not as admant as you.

Also here, i am not talking about my car in particular. Mine is not even 50% original, i admit it graciously.

I am on the job and hopefully will get my car up there someday.

But i am sticking by my stand here. 15 yrs( since my school days) i have been hunting high and low for a proper 1500cc 1967 VW Beetle. Even today my search is ON.

My own Bengaluru Beetle club has almost 50 cars, and 20+ many others who are non members. I might know almost all cars in my city, and probably trying my best to keep track of many such cars across the country (which is near to impossible)

And i am yet to come across another 1500cc specific to 1967 spec.,

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th April 2010 at 00:21.
Old 10th April 2010, 00:42   #195
BHPian

Quote:
here a little bit.

Prabal, i am not as admant as you.

Also here, i am not talking about my car in particular. Mine is not even 50% original, i admit it graciously.

But i am sticking by my stand here. 15 yrs( since my school days) i have been hunting high and low for a proper 1500cc 1967 VW Beetle. Even today my search is ON.

My own Bengaluru Beetle club has almost 50 cars, and 20+ many others who are non members. I might know almost all cars in my city, and probably trying my best to keep track of many such cars across the country (which is near to impossible)

And i am yet to come across another 1500cc specific to 1967 spec.,
Now ,we are getting somewhere, Pavan! And I'm not the adamant one here though, I think you are, since you will not admit easily.

Do we need to bring out discussions on the headlights of the Fiat, the recent discussion on the '57 'artistic' and the 'not much originality left' '57 Beetle cabriolet in Bombay, many a discussion on the 1500 Beetles in the past, MG-which is a Wolseley, Messerschmitt, etc., etc. here? You do not admit easily. And that too, when you do not have the facts in your grasp.

Although, I do appreciate your passion, and untiring efforts in bringing many a car back from the brink, but you have to understand the importance of a statement, especially in the context of those who are really not clued-in. Those who are, will just laugh it off but others will fall for it, and that's not good, intentionally or otherwise. You have done a great job on your yellow bug, and even more commendable is the fact that you've made her a reliable daily runner. But you can't go around commenting about the originality of other folks' cars when you admit your VW itself isn't cent per cent there, what with Scorpio handles, et all. That's all I object to. And also the fact, that 1500 Beetles aren't such a big deal as you attempt to make them out to be, just because you've got one (and also one that you were instrumental in selling once to someone in Hyderabad, which is now back in Bengaluru again through you!). If you ara a true aficionado then learn from people who've been there before you, and probably still are in better touch with ground realities.

Most Viewed