Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 20:38   #211
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
What I think (this is just my opinion) Pavan means when her refers to the '67 as unique

Aside from the pre '55 cars, the '67 was a strange year for VW. It made many changes/improvements but then had to make several more the following year to comply with changing regulations. This resulted in the '67 have the most (post 55 iirc) one year only features. Some examples -- the exterior door handle is different -- as a result even the door itself is different as the opening for the handle is different. Interior handles are one year only. Mirrors are one year. Decklid is one year only. Seat belt style is one year only. There's several more such items and there is a thread on Samba dedicated to the '67. So in that sense it IS unique. This uniqueness is a plus for some and a minus for others. The minus is because replacement parts are that much harder to come by and many of these one year only features are functionally no different or better -- just different. For others this is a plus. Just depends on how one chooses to view it.

Byas
that 1967 being a transition year for the bug is something unique.
But does not that applies to all 1967 bugs not the one with 1500cc engines alone
But from what I have read in this thread about this yellow beetle there appears to be a lot of grey areas and vagueness to this cars history and pedigree and even its owner seems to contradict himself on many occassions.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:36   #212
BHPian

IIRC the Travancore palace has a green beetel which is a 1967 model,dunno about its engine,could turn out to be 1500
It had participated in a rally way back in the ninetyes
Old 11th April 2010, 18:31   #213
BANNED

Some updates on the car with original 1967 specific fittings.

1) Handbrake boot
2) Original switches
3) Original grab handle on the dash
4) Original dynamo - refurbished and cut-out installed
5) Original rustproof buttons
6) Original Seat Belt
7) Original Seat Belt chrome clip
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1051.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1055.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1057.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1059.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1066.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 12th April 2010, 23:45   #214
Senior - BHPian

Good going Pavan.

Why no comments from others now?! Come on guys, you have nothing to say now?
Old 12th April 2010, 23:56   #215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Good going Pavan.

Why no comments from others now?! Come on guys, you have nothing to say now?
Anna, There's a saying in kannada, i dont need to say you

Mangana kaialli.............

and

Kathege yenu gothu............... Gandha

As owners we must enjoy every bit of criticism and joy of ownership, which is un-paralleled joy.

What i am doing right now is, use the Beetle to office daily, on the way back home, got to the workshop, fix few ORIGINAL stuffs that i've collected all these days, spend over 2 hours at workshop and drive the car back home. I am restoring it as well as running it.

I am certainly working towards getting my Bug to that level of originality now. And i know i am tooo good at that.

Will update tomorrow with some more work in progress pics.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:06   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Anna, There's a saying in kannada, i dont need to say you

Mangana kaialli.............

and

Kathege yenu gothu............... Gandha

Quote:
As owners we must enjoy every bit of criticism and joy of ownership, which is un-paralleled joy.

Quote:
Will update tomorrow with some more work in progress pics.
Looks like you have full family support! You spend so much of time daily! Can't believe it. Waiting for the rest of the pics.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:20   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Looks like you have full family support! You spend so much of time daily! Can't believe it. Waiting for the rest of the pics.
Aiyooo, i rather not tell them, what i am doing.

They know i am restoring 1 or 2 cars for others, without charging a penny. But in reality i am restoring 6 cars in parallel, still without charging

Anyways, since its school holidays for my kid, i've packed off my wife and kid to in-laws place, now i get that extra evening time to spend on my cars.

Due to outside projects, i never had time to upgrade the originality of both my VW's. Now i am honestly making all out effort in the coming months to get the car to that level.

End of the day, folks at home sit in the car for a drive to relatives house, they feel proud of trouble free drive with all the public glare and attention, they are happy and myself on the seventh heaven.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th April 2010 at 00:21.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:16   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
It would really great for VW novices like us if what you mean by -that level of originality.

please see the marked switch in the dashboard photo,
that is where usually the headliite switch knob comes and this one for sure does not look like an original/genuine one .
classico,
I think this could be a controversial issue.In the case of beetels only if you know the correct model year,version (euro/US) etc you can say with confidence it is original or not.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:21   #219
BANNED

Quote:
It would really great for VW novices like us if what you mean by -that level of originality.

please see the marked switch in the dashboard photo,
that is where usually the headliite switch knob comes and this one for sure does not look like an original/genuine one .
Quote:
Be patient arun1100,
comments will come at the appropriate time
Extremely hilarious.

Little knowledge is dangerous.

That is indeed the headlight switch. and is Original VW NOS.

Do you know during 1967 the VW was fitted with

1) Double step headlight switch with light dimmer facility- One can reduce the glare of the headlight by turning the knob clockwise and similarly increase the brightness of the headlight. That is indeed the original switch.

2) The other switch on the dashboard is the double step/ double speed wiper switch with a push button in between for wiper wash spray. Even that switch is original

3) The third switch at the bottom is the hazard, i am missing the red lens in the centre presently- Even that switch is original.

That's some gyaan on the originality stuff for guys like you to know.

Remember to do your homework well before criticizing others.

I would take comments and criticism from genuine car lovers, and from people who has genuine knowledge about the cars they talk.

I would say ajay99, there's no point in continuing your worthless charade against me using a different Handle. I can take much more than that.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th April 2010 at 18:22.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:47   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Extremely hilarious.
1) Double step headlight switch with light dimmer facility- One can reduce the glare of the headlight by turning the knob clockwise and similarly increase the brightness of the headlight. That is indeed the original switch.
Actually, the rheostat control (by turning the knob) is to change the brightness of the instrument lighting. The headlight is controlled by a relay and not directly from the switch so a rheostat on the switch cannot control the headlights -- besides since the headlight brigthness is regulated in most countries manf don't install variable brightness for h/lights.

Pls check to make sure your electrician isn't running the headlight circuit thru that rheostat -- it is not designed for that load.

Byas
Old 13th April 2010, 18:50   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
classico,
I think this could be a controversial issue.In the case of beetels only if you know the correct model year,version (euro/US) etc you can say with confidence it is original or not.
I agree, with the VW's its not very easy to match the year and fittings, most of the cars were just mix and matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Actually, the rheostat control (by turning the knob) is to change the brightness of the instrument lighting. The headlight is controlled by a relay and not directly from the switch so a rheostat on the switch cannot control the headlights -- besides since the headlight brigthness is regulated in most countries manf don't install variable brightness for h/lights.

Pls check to make sure your electrician isn't running the headlight circuit thru that rheostat -- it is not designed for that load.

Byas

Byas, i referred the wiring diagram, what you say is right.

Presently i am using the switch just like any ordinary headlight switch, my electrician has no clue how to get that working.

If you could help me fix that, i shall be indebted to you

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th April 2010 at 18:52.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:16   #222
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, with the VW's its not very easy to match the year and fittings, most of the cars were just mix and matches.

Byas, i referred the wiring diagram, what you say is right.

Presently i am using the switch just like any ordinary headlight switch, my electrician has no clue how to get that working.

If you could help me fix that, i shall be indebted to you
When you come over, I will fix it for you. No problem.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:51   #223
Senior - BHPian

Ramesh Sir:

May be many of us are not knowledgeable enough. Can you post some pics of Classic cars which were restored to 100% Originality by YOU .

Some examples from you can be a learning experience for all of us.

Last edited by arun1100 : 13th April 2010 at 19:53.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:40   #224
Senior - BHPian

Hillarious replies in last few pages. Some of you guys are deliberately trying to mock Pavan. Wonder whats up with you guys.

Pavan, your bug looks great. I still havnt got an opportunity to meet you or your bug. In fact I havn't seen any bug very closely. All, I knew about Beetle's were, it was an amazingly cute and cool looking classic car. I got to know more about the Beetles very recently after following a few threads on TBHP. Hope to meet you soon. Do invite me to your next rally.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:10   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hillarious replies in last few pages. Some of you guys are deliberately trying to mock Pavan. Wonder whats up with you guys.

Pavan, your bug looks great. I still havnt got an opportunity to meet you or your bug. In fact I havn't seen any bug very closely. All, I knew about Beetle's were, it was an amazingly cute and cool looking classic car. I got to know more about the Beetles very recently after following a few threads on TBHP. Hope to meet you soon. Do invite me to your next rally.

Thank you, we'll meet someday soon.

Some pics of the switch

Dynamo connected finally and working just fine. Engine tin will be installed in couple of days.

Got the engine room dust rubbers that goes around the tin shroud, need to remove the engine out to install them, will do it the next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1084.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1085.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1086.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1087.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th April 2010 at 22:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks