Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 22:17   #226
Team-BHP Support

Pavan though i respect your idea of going originality way, personally i would prefer an alternator to dynamo setup for any car.
Old 13th April 2010, 23:04   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pavan though i respect your idea of going originality way, personally i would prefer an alternator to dynamo setup for any car.

Agree Jaggu, but i was using the Maruti alternator mounted seperately in the engine room, and that was an eyesore

But the refurbished dynamo is just working fine, and is giving me desired result, and moreover, due to outside projects, i was not able to attend to my Bug in a long time.

The time is now right, since i've garnered lot of spares in the last 6 months, so just made up my mind to go the ORIGINAL way and ALL OUT efforts are being made now.
Old 13th April 2010, 23:42   #228
BHPian

Pavan,
What distributor are you using? Doesn't look like one of the usual VW Bosch distis. Does it have a part number?

Also, the fuel pump you have there -- does it have any markings on it? I have an identical one -- down to the epoxy on the top cover -- and I've been wondering what the source is. I think it is Chinese repro as I've not been able to find any documentation on it. The pushrod in it seems to be of a non standard size as well. I replaced mine with a used (but nearly new) original VW Pierburg pump.

BN
Old 13th April 2010, 23:55   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Pavan,
What distributor are you using? Doesn't look like one of the usual VW Bosch distis. Does it have a part number?

Also, the fuel pump you have there -- does it have any markings on it? I have an identical one -- down to the epoxy on the top cover -- and I've been wondering what the source is. I think it is Chinese repro as I've not been able to find any documentation on it. The pushrod in it seems to be of a non standard size as well. I replaced mine with a used (but nearly new) original VW Pierburg pump.

BN
You got me thinking

I picked it from Mumbai sometime ago, its a used one. Working fine, not able to find hoses to connect it to the carb.

Should be Pierburg pump, i remember seeing it. Will find out the name and provide a better pic tomorrow.

Well, i have another one from my Bus, which is VW Pierburg pump, Aaal izz well with it, but once i screw the top cover, there is a light petrol leakage.

Since tomorrow is a holiday, am going to cut a packing for it and install it back on the Bus tomorrow.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:56   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You got me thinking

I picked it from Mumbai sometime ago, its a used one. Working fine, not able to find hoses to connect it to the carb.

Should be Pierburg pump, i remember seeing it. Will find out the name and provide a better pic tomorrow.

Well, i have another one from my Bus, which is VW Pierburg pump, Aaal izz well with it, but once i screw the top cover, there is a light petrol leakage.

Since tomorrow is a holiday, am going to cut a packing for it and install it back on the Bus tomorrow.
Pierburg is a german supplier of fuel pumps and they are still functioning. But whether they still produce beetel fuel pump is doubtful
Effbe used to supply genuine Fuel pump rebuild kits some years ago for many german cars
Old 14th April 2010, 15:43   #231
BHPian

Pierburg does not make Beetle pumps. What's avail now is Mexican/Brazilian/Chinese. Best option is to get used rebuildable Pierburg. Easiest option is to get a couple of the Brosol pumps and keep one as spare. To rebuild these pumps properly actually requires a custom made (DIY-able though) fixture to pre-tension the diaphragm.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:20   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Pierburg does not make Beetle pumps. What's avail now is Mexican/Brazilian/Chinese. Best option is to get used rebuildable Pierburg. Easiest option is to get a couple of the Brosol pumps and keep one as spare. To rebuild these pumps properly actually requires a custom made (DIY-able though) fixture to pre-tension the diaphragm.
Many years ago I have seen pierburg items in a shop owned by a chinese named Lee in singapore city,
no idea whether he is still around
had quite a lot of mbz parts also

Last edited by kishorelal : 14th April 2010 at 18:28.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:31   #233
BANNED

Quote:

You are right, there is no name on the fuel pump.

Some local make might be.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-140410_0954.jpg  

Old 16th April 2010, 20:59   #234
BHPian

I have heard of one harnam automobilees in chennai who deals in lot of imported vintage auto stuff.
chennai guys, why no one has mentioned him till now?
Old 16th April 2010, 21:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
I have heard of one harnam automobilees in chennai who deals in lot of imported vintage auto stuff.
chennai guys, why no one has mentioned him till now?
Any information which is not posted does not mean that we do not know about it. And when we have Ajay as a friend we know a lot of suppliers not only in India but abroad as well . By the way do you know where is a similar kind of store in bangalore?
Old 17th April 2010, 20:07   #236
BHPian

good to see a VW fan.You had a hard time to restore a bettle ,I supose. Car looks more origanal with the colour choice. please dont stick any stickers on the car .
Old 19th April 2010, 21:11   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
good to see a VW fan.You had a hard time to restore a bettle ,I supose. Car looks more origanal with the colour choice. please dont stick any stickers on the car .
What makes you think, i'll put stickers on the car

And the car is still under restoration, i am not really sure, how long i'll take to complete it, but i will do it someday.
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:12   #238
BANNED

The extra fitted Maruti Alternator is now gone

This thought came to me after restoring quite a few VW's with the original Dynamo's. Also my VW Bus is still running on the Dynamo and without any issues.

Work done:

1) Original Dynamo fitted and working
2) Original Harting-Made in Germany charging cut-out serviced and installed
3) Stock engine tins now back in the engine room
4) Original 1967 year specific liscence plate light holder(HELLA).

Some pics of few original fitments.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1738.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1733.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1734.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-img_1736.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd May 2010 at 20:13.
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:44   #239
BANNED

Forgot to mention about the next step of restorations lined up.

1) Rear tail lights
2) Reverse lights
3) Dicky door lock
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-beetle-back.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 20:46   #240
Senior - BHPian

I had an opportunity to see Pavan's Beetle, Bus, Matiz, Safari, Priya and all the restorations he is doing. Amazing work going on.

Still wonder how Pavan manages to balance his personal life with his passion for restoring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks