Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 13:16   #331
Senior - BHPian

I remember that when i was restoring my Ponton (about 6yrs ago) I would come across a lot of Hella "made in India" lenses and light units and I was told that Hella India was producing a lot of parts in India to service the Mercedes cars in India, If true did they produce replacement lenses etc for Beetles as well, considering there were a lot of Beetles running around that period in India?
Old 5th August 2010, 18:51   #332
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I remember that when i was restoring my Ponton (about 6yrs ago) I would come across a lot of Hella "made in India" lenses and light units and I was told that Hella India was producing a lot of parts in India to service the Mercedes cars in India, If true did they produce replacement lenses etc for Beetles as well, considering there were a lot of Beetles running around that period in India?
Just recently i got Hella headlight assembly for my friends Beetle. Quality wise Top Notch but Made In India.

If its actually made in Germany, it will be inscripted on the glass, just like the way its done on the ones i've got

By weekend, i will get them installed, its a bit complicated process, since its a twin assembly.

Has a round Headlight assembly which fits inside first and later the oval glasses go over them.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:21   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
to the best of my information HELLA INDIA which has its manufacturing plant in HARYANA is a JV with HELLA germany and they manufacture LCV and Truck lighting equipment.They are not manufacturing any headlamps
for air cooled beetles models. Actually one of my friends in 2006 had approached them for VW headlamps,etc.and they had offered to get them from their parent firm in GERMANY but the end cost worked out to be much higher than one getting them directly from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Just recently i got Hella headlight assembly for my friends Beetle. Quality wise Top Notch but Made In India.

If its actually made in Germany, it will be inscripted on the glass, just like the way its done on the ones i've got

By weekend, i will get them installed, its a bit complicated process, since its a twin assembly.

Has a round Headlight assembly which fits inside first and later the oval glasses go over them.
They are MADE IN INDIA but not by HELLA INDIA and about quality I have my own doubts.
these lights are made somewhere in Maharashtra or thereabouts(I am not sure)
Definitely you can get REPRO HELLA from USA which looks good on photos etc,but on closer ""microscopic "" examination you can find out the differences. These repros never come in original HELLA packaging/boxes.
Actually there is an article in the net somewhere mentioning the differences between original HELLA lens and repro lens

Last edited by ajay99 : 5th August 2010 at 20:29.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:34   #334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
They are MADE IN INDIA but not by HELLA INDIA and about quality I have my own doubts.
these lights are made somewhere in Maharashtra or thereabouts(I am not sure)
Definitely you can get REPRO HELLA from USA which looks good on photos etc,but on closer ""microscopic "" examination you can find out the differences. These repros never come in original HELLA packaging/boxes.
Actually there is an article in the net somewhere mentioning the differences between original HELLA lens and repro lens
True......?

Nice joke
Old 5th August 2010, 20:42   #335
Senior - BHPian

Are such ""microscopic"" details really so important for a die hard VW fan, unless one possesses a car for the sake of others??!!

Pavan: Its YOUR Lovely car, drives lovely.. Originality to a certain extent is enough. Just enjoy every mile of driving her.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:50   #336
Senior - BHPian

here is a photo of the original hella beetle oval headlamps(euro) with hella boxes for reference
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-bn283qgmkkgrhqeokiuetjoylrr5bllnc0grlq_12.jpg  

Old 6th August 2010, 10:48   #337
BHPian

Quote:

well said but dont miss the rubber ring which will help to a waterproofing
Old 6th August 2010, 10:54   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently clear lens assemblies are made for the Amby Avigo (or whatever the ugly new model is called). They are a direct fit on pre 67 Bugs.

Some years back there were a few Indian manufacturers also making Beetle parts, including lights. My car is currently fitted with Made in India glasses, though I have been promised a new fluted set with VW stamp in Bombay.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:13   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True......?

Nice joke
see the attached photos showing a genuine HELLA and REPRO EURO tail LENS side by side. note the difference in quality/finish
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-hellarepro.jpg  

Last edited by ajay99 : 11th August 2010 at 19:15.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:55   #340
Senior - BHPian

here is a link from the latest VOLKSWORLD issue which features a concours 1967 VW1500
VolksWorld USA issue 15
Old 18th August 2010, 20:19   #341
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
here is a link from the latest VOLKSWORLD issue which features a concours 1967 VW1500
VolksWorld USA issue 15

wow, thanks..

But it talks about US spec car, with round headlights, this is where confusion starts all over again.

But Thanks once again,That was very informative
Old 19th August 2010, 09:59   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow, thanks..

But it talks about US spec car, with round headlights, this is where confusion starts all over again.

But Thanks once again,That was very informative
the headlight for US spec and euro cars were always different.
VOLKSWORLD is more into US spec VWs
Old 19th August 2010, 20:02   #343
BANNED

Hello to all,

Small but much needed update happened today on the Beetle

Work not done as per expected, will be going to Nikhil's shop tomorrow and fixing it again,

BTW, Nikhil confirmed to me about the readings for the 67 BUG in his shop, so will be driving the Bug there for Alignment and balancing.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0649.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0651.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0650.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0652.jpg  

My 1967 1500cc VW Beetle - Restoration done-imag_0662.jpg  

Old 20th August 2010, 13:40   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all,

Small but much needed update happened today on the Beetle

Work not done as per expected, will be going to Nikhil's shop tomorrow and fixing it again,

BTW, Nikhil confirmed to me about the readings for the 67 BUG in his shop, so will be driving the Bug there for Alignment and balancing.
Mr PK have you by any chance raised the front and the rear suspensions of your bug as the height (both front and rear) seems to be more than what is normally should be?? Unless your wheel rims are not that of Original bug..
Old 20th August 2010, 16:32   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Mr PK have you by any chance raised the front and the rear suspensions of your bug as the height (both front and rear) seems to be more than what is normally should be?? Unless your wheel rims are not that of Original bug..
you are ""spot on"" in that observation. '
If it is original VW rims it will be having the VW logo embossed on the rims.just check for that.
Also the original german shock absorbers for front were FICHTELL-SACHS and the rear shocks were BOGE

Most Viewed