Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 20:31   #46
BHPian

Have not posted for a while so I need to catch up.

Work I've done since my last post include removing the old muffler and tailpipes and replacing with OE German (Dansk) muffler and stainless steel tailpipes. The car sounds so much better/quieter now.

I also installed an original german Solex VW 34PICT3 carb that I bought from Keifernet. This made a big diff on the ability to adjust idling properly.

I also installed a replacement fuel pump. This was a pain as I didn't replace the pushrod thinking it was the original. But it had been tampered with to work with the non-std pump that you see in the pic. This pushrod broke the lever inside my new pump. But, I didn't realize that and when the new pump did not work, I assumed it was because of other restrictions -- so I did more work replacing the OE filter under the tank (bear to get at) and removed/retried several time. FInally I realized the lever inside was broken. Was planning to buy another, when I decided to take the orignal pump apart and see if I could use the lever from that. Some surgery followed and the new pump now works great and has been installed.

So now I am left with replacing the top.

Byas
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2004800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2003800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2001800.jpg  

71Convertible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2008, 20:55   #47
BHPian

So, started the job of removing the top. (Sorry pics are not in order as this new process is not as user friendly as I wish it was.)

Started with removing the front. Taking a lot of pics on the way. I expect to run into the unexpected. Already have. :(

After cuttng through several rusted bolts (got to have a dremel - very handy), got everyting off. Still need to go thru and clean out the bows off all staples (there must be a few hunderd each of which takes me a min to remove) and clean off the glue residue.

Then I will take the top frame off to remove some of the surface rust and repaint it. Before I do that, I'll need to repair an old hack job where a broken bolt was welded in place. So need to cut it flush, drill out a hole and tap it. So need to get right size drill and tap -- or take it some place that has.

With all the stapling required (much better than tacks), I might invest in an electric stapler to replace the manual stapler I have.

The rear tack strips (pieces of wood at the rear near the body) to which the headliner staples at the bottom have been water damaged from the cuts in the top. I'll need to get new ones.

Will also need to get new bolts and screws -- some of which are a special type.

I also have a fitment problem with the new header bow so may have to order another one (or get a replacement from the vendor considering these run $200 or more).

Byas
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_4909.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2007.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2019800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2023800.jpg  

My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2035800.jpg  

Old 12th May 2008, 20:58   #48
BHPian

Missed one pic. The others did come out in order (got lucky).
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga-img_2034800.jpg  

Old 13th May 2008, 09:21   #49
BHPian

Nice DIY Byas

How long will it be before work on the top is completed. What material are you going to replace it with? Rexin or Tarpaul (like in ragtops).

OT: Nice tool box/rack(red one in LHS corner. Is it Craftsman? PM me the address if you got it in India.
Old 13th May 2008, 09:59   #50
Team-BHP Support

The old top looks as if it has been glued on!
Old 13th May 2008, 10:28   #51
BHPian

The top is in 3-4 layers. The layers are glued and stapled. At the bottom is the headliner. Then there is a padding cover layer. Then the padding. Then the cover layer is folded and glued over the padding. Then the top.

I'm thought about going with vinyl top, but decided to upgrade to canvas. I have the hedliner, padding, top, cables, seals, etc. Just need to get the unplanned items -- tack strips -- you can see in the rear side photo, the curved wood (actually a composite similar to mdf) pieces to which the tape is stapled.

Yes, Craftsman. Brought it with me.

B
Old 13th May 2008, 13:37   #52
BANNED

Aaagh.... Byas, what have u done to your car man (Karmann)

Anyways its a known fact that your convertible will come out on top, after your work on it.

Waiting to see the pics after the work is completed.

One more thing Byas,

My Beetle encountered a small funny problem yesterday.

I drove the car for almost 60 kms and at times the car was just stalling but not turning off.

Was neatly idling once i stopped.

I again get into the car and run it, it was running fine, this happened twice or thrice with stray incidents of car reducing speeds inbetween runnings.

I did a few checks once i reached home.

Fuel tank half full, plugs fine, leads and cables fine, tuning right but why did this happen is unknown to me.

Anything that you can lead me to?

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 13th May 2008 at 13:42.
Old 13th May 2008, 16:30   #53
BHPian

see if you have disconnected the Automatic Idling Cutoff Solenoid...,or ur CDI /Capacitor may be shot could be another reason !!!
Old 14th May 2008, 11:08   #54
Team-BHP Support

Pavan, it might be a hot air fuel vapour lock. Happened to our VW varient, loaded up on the autobahn in 1972. We overdid it and the car started stuttering. We stopped, emptied that rear to open the engine and called the ADAC. By the time he came, ir started again. He told us to go a little less schneller!
Old 14th May 2008, 19:48   #55
BHPian

Pavan,
Both good things to check.
Are you fuel lines resting on the intake manifold or the heat risers?
B
Old 15th May 2008, 13:11   #56
BHPian

byas there is detailed description in the bentley manual on installing the fuel pump, you need to pack the bottom end of the pump where the pushrod touches with grease and the throw of the pushrod (either 4inch or 4.25 inch ) should be .31 mm.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:43   #57
BANNED

Byas,

No the fuel lines are not resting on the intake manifold.

Looks like the probs with my carb.

Need to get my hands dirty the coming weekend and overhaul the carb.

I am going to consult Carb King Mr Naren for help on this one.

Thanks....
Old 15th May 2008, 19:51   #58
BHPian

yes it was the longer pushrod that caused the prob. the instruction said to check for 13mm I belive (not the 0.31mm u wrote - perhaps typo). and adjust with gasket shims as needed. I didn't and broke the lever on the pump. I should've checked. Anyway, I learnt.

If you suspect the carb and have the Solex carb -- quick check -- on the left side is the idle jet. It's accessible from the outside. Pull it out and see if it has something in it.

B
Old 15th May 2008, 22:12   #59
BANNED

I just tore the carb apart 1 hr ago and cleaned the whole thing.

I had few newer jets, installed them and just put it on on the car.

Not yet started the car, will do it after dinner.

Byas do you think i need to open up my fuel pump and check on the diaphgram? or may be the fuel filter?
Old 16th May 2008, 06:13   #60
BHPian

If you think fuel starvation is an issue, then u should. What type of filter do you have?

The clear plastic type? Sealed metal? Where is it located? Better not to have a filter in the engine compartment of the beetles. Several instances of either the hose slipping out or filter leaking have been reported on TheSamba to cause fires. Suggested place is under the tank.

But, if the car is running well apart from hot idle, it's not likely to be a filter or pump.

B

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks